JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (https://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   2007 Birth Stories (https://www.justmommies.com/forums/f426-2007-birth-stories/)
-   -   Gunner's Birth Story (https://www.justmommies.com/forums/f426-2007-birth-stories/606992-gunner-s-birth-story.html)

Gunner&BrodysMom June 12th, 2007 10:16 AM

I have waited so long to write this because I wanted to make sure I did it justice. Seeing my son born enter the world was the most beautiful and intense experience of my life. So many times I have heard mom's refer to the birth of a child as their life accomplishment and I never understood...I do now. I guess GUnner's birth story begins with a little background information. Me and Michael never thought we would be able to get pregnant. In 2000 I was diagnosed with Thrombotic Throbocytopenic Purpera (a blood disorder similar to cancer in which the body produces cells that think healthy blood/organs are foreign so it attacks it...in a nutshell it's like your body turns on itself). The biggest problem with TTP is lack of platelets that cause your blood to clot so the only way to keep you from bleeding to death is to do plasma exchanges and blood transfusions. I was in the hospital with daily blood transfusions until April 2001 when I was officially told I was in remission. That was a great day. Flash forward to 2005, me and MIchael were married and my life was perfect. We knew we wanted children and had talked often about the possibility that it might not be a possibility but we were hopeful. I had been told that it would be difficult to actually get pregnant but that was all (remember this for later in the story). So we figured we had better start trying because it could take a while. Three months later I found out I was pregnant. We were so excited and happy. All was fine for a while, with the help of pregesterone I was able to carry the baby through the first trimester. Then came the news that would crush our hopes and dreams. I will never forget when the high risk doctor chewed us up one side and down the other. "Didn't anyone ever tell you not to get pregnant? This was not wise and I would recommend termination." I remember him saying that like it was yesterday. He then told us that the chance of my relapse into TTP during pregnancy is GREATLY increased. Something like a 75% chance of relapse and a 25% chance of maternal death if relapsed. If I did relapse the baby would have the be delivered immediately and there was no guarantee that my body would be able to stop the bleeding from a delivery. I was scared to death but I would NOT give up my baby. This is the point we chose the name Gunner which means battle strong or feirce fighter. So that is the background on our little guy so you can better understand the rest of the story. On April 30th I hit the 35 week mark and the doctor ordered an amnio to check for lung maturity. Gunner would need to be delivered as soon as possible. On April 1st they called--he was ready to make his appearance. We went to the hospital (me and michael and mom) at 9 pm on the 1st and they admitted me to L&D. After getting all hooked up to the monitors and comfortable they put in cervadil to soften my cervix. It didn't hurt at all and i was hopeful that the whole experience would be easy. HAHAHA! At 6 am the doctor came in and broke my water and they started Pitocin. I remember being so scared to have my water broke and I was crying before she even touched me. But it was okay and things started to pick up. They came to put in my epidural but the first try didn't work and they had to try again. The second one worked and all was well for about an hour. Then I started to feel everything...the dang epidural was not working and the guy who puts them in could not be found. By the time he did come I was coming to a breaking point both mentally and physically and begging for them to knock me out. I was 8 cm and feeling every contraction! Not pleasant. They took out the edipural and put in a third and this one worked. I was soooooooo happy. Everything from that point on was great. And by 5 pm I was ready to push. About 20 minutes later Michael Gunner Tong was born. He was so blue and not breathing and I was scared to death. The NICU team worked on him for what seemed like forever (probably only a minute!) before getting a cry but it was the best sound I have ever heard. Our little miracle was here and he was safe. He was 6lbs even and 18 1/2 inches long. He was so beautiful...i can remember thinking that he was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen. His daddy cried and I did too and so did his granny. I can remember thinking that so many times I had worried he would never get here and if he did he would be to little to make it. I even wrote a letter to him when I was pregnant incase I relapsed and he made it and I didn;t telling him how much I loved him. Yet here we are...me okay and him okay. We did it!


*tacii June 12th, 2007 12:05 PM

Wow, what a story! You guys have gone through so much for that little guy.. I'm so glad you didn't listen to that doctor and your little miracle is safe and sound in your arms.

MDS0307 June 12th, 2007 04:15 PM

great story Jen!

Brittanie June 12th, 2007 06:50 PM

I remember you telling us that your Dr. told you that you should terminate. I was so mad! Ugh. Such a little miracle you've got there. And I think that makes your story so much better to read.

yammie June 13th, 2007 12:57 AM

! really hope you stay in remission and have a long happy healthy life with your little miracle! you worked hard to get him here and he is beautiful!

SusieQ2 June 13th, 2007 07:52 PM

What a beautiful story! I'm so glad that you both came through everything ok. It just goes to show that Drs don't always know everything. I so happy that you have such a beautiful blessing in your life.

*Angel* June 14th, 2007 02:15 PM

What a beautiful little miracle you have there!!! Such a wonderful story!! Congratulations!!!! I am so glad everything turned out so well for you both!!

SageLove September 11th, 2007 09:47 PM

Congratulations on your little one! :inlove:

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:06 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright © 2003-2012 JustMommies.com, All Rights Reserved.