JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (https://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   2013 Birth Stories (https://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1911-2013-birth-stories/)
-   -   Joshua's Birth Story :) (https://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1911-2013-birth-stories/2616135-joshuas-birth-story.html)

SaraSmiles January 18th, 2013 12:15 PM

Joshua's Birth Story :)
So it is Friday night and DH is scheduled to be coming home on Sunday morning so I have the sudden urge to double check all of the baby stuff. I installed the carseat and brought up the bassinet and put it in the bedroom where he will be sleeping next to my bed. I realized I was out of dog food but figured I would just go and get some in the morning, no worries! And eventually I fell asleep.

I woke up at 5am due to stomach pain so I figured I just had to go to the bathroom. And then I realize that the pain is coming in waves. I took out my phone and started timing the contractions with my baby app and I notice that they are about 30 -45 seconds long and about 4-5 minutes apart. I thought that was way too rapid to be labor, being that it just started and its my first baby but I decide to call DH in North Dakota to tell him whats going on. He said for me to call the Dr. So I got into the bathtub to help relax me and I call the DR. She said to hang out at home, have some breakfast and go on normal with my day She wasnt sure if it was real labor or just fake labor so I called back DH and told him not to worry and just hang out for a bit and not to start rushing home. So I got up, did the dishes, took a shower (and shaved my legs btw which I really cant believe I did), made the kids and myself breakfast. Now it was around 10am and the contractions are still coming, but bareable still. They still are about 30-45 secs long and about 4 minutes apart now. Then I realized Oops I still didnt get the dog food. I got in the car with the kids and went to the store to buy dogfood. Came home and blowdryed my hair and did my makeup lol.
Then they started getting worse. I called the Dr again and told her and she said for me to start getting ready to come in around this afternoon sometime. So I called DH and told him its go time and he started on his 10 hour journey home from ND. I laid down and watched some tv, made a few calls, then I realized it was time to go to the hospital because they were now about a minute long and about 3 minutes apart. I called a friend and she took me to the hospital around 2pm and her BF watched my stepkids for me.
I walked to the main lobby desk and told them I was now in labor and they said "Walk down the hall and take the elevator up to the 2nd floor" I looked at her dumbfounded. Umm where the heck in my wheel chair?! I am in labor now you know. But fine, so I walked down the hall and took the elevator up and rang the bell at the begining of labor and delivery ward. I told them I was in labor and they buzzed me in and I walked over to the nurses desk. Ok Hi, I am in labor. "Oh ok, follow me to your room" So I walked to my room. Where the heck is my wheel chair? Is this really how it goes? I mean sure, I wasnt screaming in pain but I handle my pain very differently than most people.
So I finally get to my room and have them check me. I am 80% effaced and 4cm dialated. They say that this is probably going to take awhile so DH will probably be able to get here on time for the birth. No worries, I have my friend with me until then at least. I called Dh and told him he had time and not to worry. So they did my bloodwork and then the contractions started getting horrible. The whole plan was me not to get the epidural, but I realized that it was going to happen so I just gave in and asked for one. Then they told me they had to wait for the bloodwork to come back. Then it started getting really bad where I was having trouble breathing through them and just then (Around 5:30) the magical epidural man walked in the door. Woohoo!
I swear after that I was on cloud 9. I was laughing and joking around with my friend and the nurses. I swear I felt NO PAIN. It was amazing. I was wondering why I waited so long to go to the hospital in the first place!!
Then everything started happening so fast. 6:30 I was 6cm and 90% effaced and then my water broke. 7:00pm I was 9cm and started to feel the pressure down low. and then 8:00pm I was 100% and10 cm and DH was still about 3 hours away from the hospital!
The nurse came in and told me it was go time and I said NO! I told them this baby was staying in me until DH got here if he liked it or not. So I sat there 100% and 10 cm for about 3 hours. The nurses said that they never seen anything like that before lol. Towards the end of the 3 hours it was getting a little ify though bc baby's heartrate dropped for a sec then came back up and the nurses told me that if that happened again there was no more waiting and the baby had to be delivered.
Around 10:30 DH finally got to the hospital, I buzzed the nurse, and we started pushing. It took about an hour of pushing until I had my baby boy in my arms.
Baby Joshua Ryan Kraft weighing in at 7lbs 8 ounces and 21 inches long was born at 11:56pm on January 12th 2013. :)

He is everything I ever imagined and more.

colette20 January 18th, 2013 12:26 PM

Re: Joshua's Birth Story :)
Wow! How strong are you for holding off for hubby?? :)

Congratulations!! Welcome to the world Joshua!!!!!

kbpeanut January 18th, 2013 03:57 PM

Re: Joshua's Birth Story :)
What a great story! I'm so glad he waited until DH got there!!! Thanks for sharing :wub:

swaddlestar January 18th, 2013 08:00 PM

Re: Joshua's Birth Story :)
Wow! It's a good thing you had that epidural...you probably wouldn't have wanted to stay at 10 cm without it!

Congrats on your baby boy!:D

MammaWannaBe January 18th, 2013 08:55 PM

Re: Joshua's Birth Story :)
Girl you are too funny with the leg shaving. I wish I had your pain tolerance as well! I think it is so cool and brave of you to insist DH was there before pushing him into the world- that must have made it even that much more special.

Congrats mama!

SaraSmiles January 20th, 2013 04:58 PM

Re: Joshua's Birth Story :)
Thanks guys!! Looking back I really cant believe it all happened like that. I joke with Dh now telling him that he can never complain about waiting for me to go somewhere or complain that I am taking too long to get ready because I waited 3 hours fully dialated for him to get to the hospital. lol

Jules_loves_beaches January 21st, 2013 01:35 AM

Re: Joshua's Birth Story :)
OMG, that is so awrsome that you were able to wait for your DH! And yes, your DH should never be able to complain for waiting on you in the future!! Congrats and thanks for sharing your story!

Angel.Eyes4351 January 24th, 2013 08:45 AM

Re: Joshua's Birth Story :)
Wow 3 hours! Congrats. Glad DHA made it,

LisaKiara January 26th, 2013 05:46 PM

Re: Joshua's Birth Story :)
You are great to have waited so much for your DH.

Did the epidural hurt when they did it?

I nearly had tears reading your story!

Congratulations :)

SaraSmiles January 26th, 2013 06:26 PM

Re: Joshua's Birth Story :)
The epidural was nothing compared to the contractions I was having but I wouldnt say ut hurt just felt really weird They use a numbing needle before the epi so that helps a bit

mal91011 February 6th, 2013 04:17 AM

I can't believe you were able to hold off until dh got there!!! That is impressive woman!!

What a great birth story to tell your lo some day.

Ps - I shaved the day of too. I knew the prickliness of my legs would make me nuts!

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:52 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright © 2003-2012 JustMommies.com, All Rights Reserved.