JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (https://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   2013 Birth Stories (https://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1911-2013-birth-stories/)
-   -   Porter James :) (https://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1911-2013-birth-stories/2661914-porter-james.html)

MissyBee June 27th, 2013 04:07 PM

Porter James :)
On June 25th 2013 we went to the hospital at 5 am to be induced. We were 3 days past our due date and I was very much over being pregnant and miserable. I just wanted my baby! The doctor had originally wanted me to go in the night before, because I was only dilated to about 1 centimeter, but the hospital was too busy and the earliest they could take me was 5 am on Tuesday the 25th.

So, we get there, after a night of very little sleep for me and my husband, Mike. I also had slept horribly the night before, so I was exhausted. Not the best way to go into having a baby! We got checked in and taken to our Labor and Delivery room. When I got hooked up to the monitor, I was already having some contractions, though not very strong or consistent. Around 6 am the nurse started the Pitocin and I immediately started having contractions that I could feel about every two minutes. The nurse checked me and I was still only about one centimeter, so we had a long way to go, but I was ready to wait him out!

My doctor came in to see me a little after 7 and when she checked me she said I was about a 2.5, which I felt was good progress for such a short amount of time! She broke my water at 7:30 and I knew that contractions would get stronger now, but I was hoping it would really help to speed things along. This was not the case.

My doctor said she would be back around lunch time and then she was gone. My contractions got much more intense. I am a wuss and I can admit it, but I felt like I was holding my own with the pain, though an epidural was something I knew I wanted at some point. The nurse told me I could have the epidural whenever I wanted it. I wanted to try and wait it out for a little while because I didn't want to get it too early in case it would cause things to slow down. Once we were getting close to lunch I was getting close to the max amount of pain I wanted to endure, but I decided to make myself wait until the doctor came back and see what she said. She finally came back around 1 and I hadn't dilated anymore. I was a little bummed. I had been having these strong and now painful contractions pretty much every 2 minutes (they stayed pretty consistently at 2 minutes apart the entire time I had contractions.) and we weren't getting anywhere! The doctor said she was willing to wait as long as we needed to on little man and that she thought he would be here in the wee hours of Wednesday morning. She decided she wanted to put in a uterine catheter to measure how strong my contractions actually were and she said that it should irritate my cervix and make me dilate some more. She knew I wanted an epidural and suggested that I go ahead and get that before she put the uterine catheter in. I did not need any more encouragement on that front and after 7 hours of Pitocin contractions, I asked for my epidural. It was in place around 1:30 and it was amazing. I really felt like I could wait little Mr. Porter out now!

After a while, I realized that I was much more numb on one side than I was on the other and there was a spot on my left side where I could feel a ton of pressure and then some pain about every 3 or 4 contractions. I told the nurse and she had me lay on the less numb side to help get the medicine over to that side. It made a little difference, but not much. I wasn't in that much pain though, so I just dealt with it.

My doctor finally came back 3 hours later and put in the uterine catheter. Based on what my contractions were looking like on the monitor after that, I'm very glad I had the epidural! When the doctor put it in, I had dilated a little more and was at a 3. When she came back after her office hours, I was still a 3. It was very slow going, but we knew that it probably would be going into it.

After the nurses changed around 7pm (I was now on my 3rd nurse), the new nurse came in and decided to put me into a "pretzel position" to try and open up my pelvis to get him to drop, because he was still at a -2 station. I stayed like that for a while and when she checked me at 8:30, I was at 4! She put me back into that position since it seemed to be helping and I stayed that way until around 11 pm.

Around 10:00, I was having more pain on my left side than I should had been, so the anesthesiologist came and fixed my epidural, which made so much difference. I should have had them come earlier when I first noticed it!

Around 11 the nurse came back in to check me, and I was still a 4, and she was going to roll me over and put me into the "pretzel" on the other side. She rolled me over and then started trying to get Porter back on the monitor. It took her a few minutes to find him and he didn't seem to like it. So, she rolled me back to the other side. About that time another nurse came in and told me she was going to give me some oxygen. My nurse decided to try and rub Porter's head from the inside, though I wasn't sure why. Then I realized another nurse had come in and about that time three more came running in. It was then that I realized something bad was happening. His heart rate had dropped and it wasn't going back up. She lifted my leg back up like it had been in the "pretzel" and his heart rate went back up some, but was all over the place. I didn't see how low it got to cause the alarm, because I was facing the other way when it happened.

Mike had been sitting over on the couch and came over to ask me what had just happened. I told him that Porter's heart rate had dropped, which was bad, but that it had gone back up. So hopefully it would be ok.

I stayed in that position for a few minutes since it seemed to make him happier and then I watched the monitor as it started to drop again. There were so many people in my room, I couldn't even count. My nurse said they were calling my doctor to tell her what was happening and the on call OB was coming down to see me. He ended up putting a monitor on Porter's head to keep monitoring his heart rate. It took over 6 minutes to get his heart rate back into the 100's, it was down in the 50's. I knew when my doctor got there, that she was going to suggest a c-section and at this point I was starting to freak out and I was totally ok with doing a c-section. I wanted my baby out!

I had my husband call my mom (who had left not too long before to go to our house and sleep since we were expecting a 3-4 am delivery) and tell her what was going on so she could come back. I could barely even get the words out to him because I was crying. When my doctor got there, she did suggest the c-section, which I readily agreed to, after 18 hours of labor.

They started prepping me immediately for an emergency c-section and within 10 minutes we were in the OR. They made my husband wait in the hall while they were prepping me and as soon as they wheeled me into the OR, I really started to cry because I was worried about my baby. Then, I hear my doctor say "we have to hurry guys, it dropped again." And I just lose it. I couldn't stop crying. They all think I'm worried about having a c-section, but I am just worried about my baby! Things were going so fast that I had to beg someone to get Mike from the hall as I felt her start to cut.

I'm sobbing uncontrollably at this point and then I hear the doctor and nurses talking and they can't get him out. He's stuck and not coming out and his heart rate is really low. I had two people leaning over and pushing on my stomach as hard as they could while the doctor is pulling on him and he still won't come. Someone suggests a vacuum, which also doesn't get him out. Finally, they get him out and once they get him to the warmer, he started to cry. This only adds to my sobbing and I was crying so hard I couldn't talk or do anything except just sob. His apgars were 8 and 9 and he was perfectly healthy. They don't know why his heart rate dropped. They all thought he was going to be wrapped in the cord, but he wasn't. But, he was sunny side up and stuck in my pelvis. My doctor told me my pelvis is very narrow and he never would have made it out that way. Poor little guy had bruises all over his face. :(

That last 30-45 minutes was the scariest thing I have ever been through in my life. And I am so thankful that my little man was ok!

Porter James was born at 12:16 am on 6/26/13. He weighed 7 pounds and 11 ounces and was 21 inches long. He is perfect and we are so in love. :)

navywifey2003 June 27th, 2013 05:10 PM

Re: Porter James :)
I'm glad he is here safely congrats Hun!

crawmommy June 27th, 2013 09:21 PM

Re: Porter James :)
So glad you both are ok! Congrats

MrsLat June 27th, 2013 11:11 PM

Re: Porter James :)
Oh my goodness, I am so sorry for such a scare! I am so glad that he is okay. Congratulations!

Kim3 June 29th, 2013 07:50 PM

Re: Porter James :)
Hugs - you really had the scare of your life. I am so glad you had good docs and he is safe in your arms.

mommy220 June 30th, 2013 06:13 AM

Re: Porter James :)
I am so sorry that you went through that but so happy that he was okay in the end!

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:27 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright © 2003-2012 JustMommies.com, All Rights Reserved.