JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (https://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   2013 Birth Stories (https://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1911-2013-birth-stories/)
-   -   Gabrielle Marie's Birth Story (https://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1911-2013-birth-stories/2698080-gabrielle-maries-birth-story.html)

sis_sweetpea December 13th, 2013 05:28 PM

Gabrielle Marie's Birth Story
I'm finally getting around to writing this down over a month later. I hope I remember the major details. (Now that I'm done, this is much longer than I expected)

I was hoping to go into labor on November 5th since the midwife I wanted would be on call. I was already impatient, I really didn't think that I would still be pregnant at that point, I guess my intuition was waaay off. The fifth came and went, that day I did some walking, bouncing on the birth ball, and nipple stimulation, but nothing got started. I gave up and just packed my bag and went to sleep. Around 4 am, I woke up to go to the bathroom. When I was done, I felt a small gush. I suspected it was my water, but I wasn't sure, so I got back in bed for a while to see if there would be another gush when I got up. There was.

At that point, I got back on the birth ball. I didn't want to go to the hospital right away since I wasn't having any contractions yet. When I did some nipple stimulation, I'd have contractions, but as soon as I stop they'd end. I did this on and off all day. Eventually, I decided to go to the hospital. I stopped at the store along the way, still hoping the walking would help. I finally got to the hospital around 5.

I got hooked up to the monitors and still no contractions. I didn't tell them exactly when my water broke, so they did not start me on pitocin when I arrived at the hospital. I was 2 cm like I was at my last appointment. I was on the monitors waiting for them to come off so I could do more walking around the hospital, but Gabby's heart rate wasn't doing what they wanted it to do, so I had to stay on the monitors. Eventually I moved to a room and they brought me a breast pump to try to get my contractions going. Again, I had contractions while using the pump, but nothing after I stopped. My nurse came in and told me to stop pumping at one point since the baby's heart rate was still weird. It was around 10 at that point, I was still on the monitors, and she just told me to get some rest and we would try to get something started in the morning. I tried to get some sleep, but by around 11:00 I noticed that I was having contractions. My nurse brought me a birth ball since I still couldn't walk around. The contractions were coming around 5 minutes apart and were pretty painful. I was planning a natural birth, and really wanted to labor in the tub. I asked about getting in, and was told that I could not get in until I was around 6 cm as the water would probably stall my labor. I was 4 cm at the time. Instead I got in the shower with telemetry monitors to see if it would help. In the shower, the contractions were just as bad if not worse. I hit a low point while I was in the shower. It was so painful and contractions seemed to be coming really fast and I couldn't take it. I decided to get an epidural especially since I could't get off the monitors and walk or get in the tub for pain relief. It was between 12 and 1 AM at that point.

The anesthesiologist was on the floor and had an epidural before me. The contractions before he came were horrible. They finally came in my room around 1:45. The pain of the contractions and disappointment about needing an epidural and fear of needles had me crying and hyperventilating. It was so hard for me to be still for the epidural placement. I pretty much had to be held in place, and the placement was as bad as the labor for me. Eventually it was done, and I had minor relief. The pain was supposed to start to decrease, but it started to get just as bad as before the epidural. Eventually, after an extra dose of medicine didn't help, I had to have the epidural replaced. The second time wasn't so bad since I was already slightly numb. Finally around 3:30ish It was done and I had relief.

Despite getting the shakes from the epidural, I finally got a bit of sleep. Around 6:30, I started feeling some pressure. I asked to get checked and was found to be complete minus a bit of a lip. The nurse told me at that time I had been having strong contractions one minute apart for a good while. The new midwife came on and said she'd give me more time for it to go away. Around 7:30, I asked to be checked again and I was complete but still high. They had me do a practice push and realized that I pushed effectively and baby was ready to come out. I pushed during about 3 contractions and Gabrielle Marie was born at 7:43 AM. She was 8lbs 7oz. I was so relieved for labor to be over.

I was so surprised that labor was so much harder this time around. My labor started fast when it did and went from nothing to extremely painful fast. My thoughts might change, but it made me really doubt wanting more kids at all.

Here is Miss Gabrielle Marie on her birthday
7:43 AM
8lb 7oz

And now at 5 weeks

~Kris~ December 16th, 2013 08:18 PM

Re: Gabrielle Marie's Birth Story
Awww, look at her chubby cheeks! :D

jadeunicorn December 17th, 2013 09:33 AM

Re: Gabrielle Marie's Birth Story

I also found my second labor to be harder. My contractions were much stronger and more painful. But I progressed much quicker. Amazing how labor can differ from one baby to the next.

shana1979 March 9th, 2014 09:07 AM

Re: Gabrielle Marie's Birth Story
she looks like her big sis :)

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:29 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright © 2003-2012 JustMommies.com, All Rights Reserved.