View Single Post
June 23rd, 2010, 09:19 PM
tasheroo's Avatar
tasheroo tasheroo is offline
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Binghamton, NY
Posts: 2,838
I went into the hospital to be induced Monday June 21, 2010. I was already having some contractions from having my cervix checked earlier at my doctor appointment. I was hooked up to the monitors and got my first dose of cervix ripening medicine around 8pm. Contractions started picking up but they weren't very painful or very close together. The doctor wasn't going to start Pitocin until morning so Nick went home to sleep for the night. Shortly after midnight the nurse came in to check on me and hook me up to the monitors so she could give me my second dose of cervix medicine. She checked my cervix when she inserted the 2nd dose and I was only 2cm and 60% effaced. 10 minutes later my water broke and contractions suddenly started picking up. I called the nurse back in and told her I was in a ton of pain and that my water broke. She said she was going to give me some pain meds in an IV which wasn't in my arm yet. It took her 3 tries to get the IV in my arm because I was shaking so bad from the contractions which were coming every 2-3 minutes at that point. Once she got the IV in my arm she checked my cervix again. I was 5cm dilated. She told me to get up and use the restroom before she gave me the shot of pain killers. Holy bloody show! I never saw my bloody show before with my other babies and it was very gross looking. I got back in the bed and she gave me the pain meds. I told her I wanted an epidural. She told me since I was progressing so fast I probably wouldn't get one, but she would check me again to see if I had dilated any more. If I hadn't she would order the epidural for me. I was feeling a ton of pressure so she checked me and I was already 8cm. It had only been a few minutes since she last checked. I was progressing too fast for the epi. She left to call the doctor and have the other nurses get the room ready for delivery. While the nurses were getting the room ready I felt the urge to push. They told me to curl up on my left side and try to breathe through it. That worked for about 2 minutes. The very next contraction I told them I had to push! The baby's nurse and my nurse both came over and told me to go ahead and push. First push his head was right there ready to come out. I breathed through it for about 2 minutes and then my body decided it was time to push again. His head popped right out! They suctioned his nose and mouth and I pushed again and out he came! He was born at 2:52am on June 22. I immediately sat up to see him. This surprised the nurses! I got to cut his cord and they placed him on my belly! It was really a wonderful experience for me. The never had a chance to drop the bed down, so he was born with 2 nurses sitting on the end of the bed waiting to catch him! The whole delivery was very quiet and peaceful. I am actually glad the doctor didn't make it to the delivery in time. I think that would have made the experience somewhat stressful and less natural feeling. The nurses let the placenta come out on its own as much as it could so I could just rest with Thor on my chest. He laid on my chest for about an hour and nursed a little bit. Then the nurse came and took him to the nursery and got me ready to be taken to my recovery room. I was really only in active hard labor for 2 hours!

Thor weighed 6lbs. 2oz. and was 21 inches long! His Apgar scores were 9 & 10! Not too small for a IUGR baby. He is very skinny and long! I didn't tear and everything seems to be healing pretty good! Thor is a very good baby and loves to be held. Daddy finally woke up and got to see him around 6:30am. Daddy holds him all the time! I think Daddy held him more than I did his first day!

Reply With Quote