View Single Post
September 12th, 2010, 07:10 PM
mrsdaiwa24's Avatar
mrsdaiwa24 mrsdaiwa24 is offline
Amy, soon-to-be-mama of 2
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The Midwest
Posts: 10,073
After two trips to L&D in two weeks with bleeding and cramping AND an almost entire day of the baby refusing to wiggle (even after using every JM trick I could think of to get her to move), my stress and anxiety were through the roof. At my 38 week appointment, my doctor suggested an induction at 39 weeks -- I was a very good candidate as I was already 3 cm dilated, 100% effaced, and the baby was already incredibly low. After much discussion and thought, we decided to go in for the induction -- I know it isn't the right choice for everyone, but it was the right choice for me.

We headed to the hospital at 4 pm on Tuesday, 9/7 (I was just a few hours shy of being 39 weeks along). Shortly after our arrival, I was started on pitocin and my GBS antibiotics. I was still 3 cm at that point.

At 8:30 pm, the doctor came to break my water. Can I just say how thankful I was that my water didn't break while I was at school? I was shocked at how much came out!

By 9:30 pm, I was 5.5 cm dilated. The contractions were already painful. After consulting my options with the nurse, I decided to ask for the epidural. Just prior to getting it, I got up to go to the bathroom. I was already in intense pain. I was shaking so badly, I could barely stand up. Blood starting dripping down my leg. Paul kept asking me what he could do to help -- I told him just to stand behind me in case I fell. The epi was not as bad as I had feared -- of course, I had spent 15 years dreading this moment but it was relatively easy. It began to work within minutes and made me feel so much better -- except for the one little pocket in my left hip socket that didn't seem to respond to the meds. I spent the rest of the night feeling every single contraction, but only in that tiny area. It was enough to keep me awake for the rest of the evening.

I think I was around 7/8 cm dilated around midnight. Paul tried to get some rest. I just laid in bed trying to control my breathing as the contractions hit my left hip socket. I talked to the nurse about the pain and she said that she could call the doctor and they could try to fix it, but that it could interfere with my pushing later -- and she thought I'd be pushing in the next few hours.

At 2 am, I was 9 cm. I started feeling the intense urge to have a bowel movement. As I had been experiencing gas pains earlier in the evening, I didn't think anything of it at the time. As the pressure grew, I told the nurse and she said that my body was almost ready to push.

3 am came -- I was almost complete. There was one tiny lip of my cervix left and I needed a few more contractions to clear it up. My L&D nurse was wonderful and left to go make the final arrangements before I started pushing.

At 3:30, I couldn't wait any longer. Nurse Elizabeth let me push. All of those movies and TV shows that portray women yelling and screaming are a bunch of baloney -- I was expressly told to keep my eyes open, my face normal, and to stay quiet -- every ounce of energy needed to be focused on pushing.

At 4 am (ish) she left to go call the doctor. I pushed when I needed to, even though she wasn't at the room. I asked Paul if he'd be able to catch the baby if she popped out when Nurse Elizabeth was gone. At the time, I was genuinely worried -- now I see why the nurse wasn't.

The doctor arrived around 4:30 (ish). So did the mean and nasty nurse. Mean nurse was very curt and yelled at me throughout the next hour -- of course, Paul didn't seem to have the same impression of her that I did, so I might have been a wee bit hormonal. I pushed for a while longer. Every 10 second push seemed like an eternity. Paul kept telling me how brave and strong I was and that I was doing good. Sometime in the next 45 minutes, the doctor brought out the suction vacuum -- he explained that the baby's head was too big to fit through my narrow pelvis and if I wanted to deliver vaginally, this was the only the to do it. (Can I just say how flippin' BIG that suction cup was??? I doubted its ability to fit inside of me until the doctor pointed out that a baby was about to come out of the same area!) He tried to "pull" her out a few times and then we stopped.

He explained to me that there was no way the baby could fit through the opening. She was doing fine and I was healthy -- he told me that we had no other option than to do a c-section. He also assured me that the c-section had NOTHING to do with being induced -- after all of my decision making, it turns out the a vaginal delivery wasn't a realistic option as she was just too big to fit through the opening. By this point, I had pushed for over two hours. I hadn't slept at all. My left hip was in indescribable pain. Every push was painful and frustrating. And I was so disappointed -- even though I had contemplated a s-section a few weeks ago, I opted against it. I had worked so hard to deliver this baby, and now I was being told I couldn't. I started crying. Paul assured me that there wasn't anything I could do and that everything would be alright.

I signed the consent forms and we went to the OR. The screen went up, Paul put on scrubs, and it began. Nurse Elizabeth was technically off-duty at this point, but she came with us -- we had told her we were naming the baby Elisabeth and she wanted to meet her. I lost track of time, but they upped the level of the epi and began the surgery. After a few minutes I felt tugging -- no pain, but definitely felt the tugging. And then, she was out! She cried for a couple of minutes. Paul went with her for her tests (Apgar scores of 8, then 9) and to be cleaned off. I had a two second glance at my daughter and then I didn't see her again for a while. Nurse Elizabeth sat down on Paul's stool and held my hand -- she tried to update me and tell me what was happening with the baby -- she was so wonderful and kind to me that I started to cry.

And then, it was over. I was sewn up and wheeled to the recovery room. At that point, I finally got to meet my little girl:

Elisabeth Catherine was born at 6:57 am on Wednesday, September 8, 2010. She was 20.5 inches long and weighed in at 6 pounds, 15 ounces. We are so madly in love with her! I never imagined being able to love someone so strongly and so completely. Paul and I are truly blessed with this little Acorn.

We've decided to call her Betsy as Elisabeth Catherine is quite a long name for such a little girl! Betsy is perfect, just like she is!

Thanks for reading my daughter's birth novel!!!!!
Thank you JAIDYNSMUM for my adorable new siggy!

Last edited by mrsdaiwa24; September 12th, 2010 at 07:14 PM.
Reply With Quote