View Single Post
September 22nd, 2010, 08:43 AM
aurora94's Avatar
aurora94 aurora94 is offline
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Japan
Posts: 163
Welcome to the world, Ken!

Ken's birthday was a wonderful, amazing day. As with DD, my waters broke at 5:10AM while I was sleeping. It felt like a bit like bursting a water balloon and had me jumping out of bed running for the bathroom. Most of my waters ended up on the hallway floor unfortunately for DH. He was downstairs watching the semi-finals of the US Open (due to the time difference between Japan and the U.S., the games were on in the wee hours of the morning) and ran upstairs when he heard me running for the bathroom.

We called the hospital who told us to come in asap. We didn't have anyone to watch our oldest daughter, so we ended up having to wake her up and bring her with us. After my waters broke, the contractions were coming every 1-2 minutes, but weren't too bad.

When we got to the hospital at 6AM, the midwife confirmed that my waters had broken and that I was already 3cm dilated. I was thrilled to hear that since at my last appointment, I had neither been dilated nor effaced. I was hoping that things would progress quickly from that point.

We were admitted and put in a private room to labor. DH and DD were there for the next hour while the contractions continued on their 1-2 minute intervals. DD was cute and "helping" me out by rubbing my back and legs when I had contractions. They were still quite manageable and I only became quiet when they happened so DD wasn't afraid. I had told my DH that when the contractions started to pick up, that I wanted him to take DD home or somewhere else because I didn't want her to be scared.

About 7AM, the contractions were starting to get a bit intense. I was about 5cm dilated at that point so the midwife wanted me to go to the delivery room while I was still able to walk. Contractions still continuing at 30 seconds to 1 minute intervals and walking was becoming difficult since I had to stop every few seconds to deal with one.

DH took DD out at that point and I labored with the midwife for the next hour(around 8AM) until I was 6cm. At that time, my absolute favorite midwife and the one who delivered DD came on duty and took over the birth. She delivered my son that day as well, which made my day.

From 8AM to 9:30AM, I dilated from 6 to 10cm. It was fast and furious, and without pain medication, was really intense. I had been doing Hypnobabies to that point and believe that I threw the CDs and CD player away from me in disgust at that time.

The urge to push came on all of a sudden. The midwives were running around getting things set up while I was still contracting. Feet in stirrups, helping me get into a good position to push, talking me through transition...this was a bit of a blur because it was really fast. I remember screaming, "I need to PUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" to clue them in to the seriousness of the situation. Pushing contractions came at 30 second intervals and there was no way for me to stop the urge to push. With DD, I pushed for 3 hours and there were contractions that I "waited out" so I could rest. But with Ken, I couldn't stop what my body wanted to do.

The midwives had me reach down to feel the top of his head when it was out just a bit. That was an amazing thing to feel the top of his head right before he was born. I could actually feel him moving down the birth canal which was extremely painful, but amazing.

I pushed for 20 minutes and little Ken was born at 10:10AM, after 4 hours and 48 minutes of labor. He weighed 7lb, 10oz and was 19.6in in length. His APGAR scores were perfect and he is another precious gift that my family has been blessed with. I tore a bit along the line of the episiotomy that I had with DD but was up and walking around 2 hours after delivering Ken.

But what made the day absolutely perfect was that DH and DD came into the delivery room just as I pushed Ken out into the world. DD saw Ken just as he was born and held him together with my DH. It was a day that will always be etched in my memory as the perfect birth.

Name: Ken
Weight: 7lb, 10oz (3,482g)
Length: 19.6in (50cm)
Labor time: 4 hours, 48 minutes, unmedicated

The family together

Little mama

Angel boy

Mommy's helper

Reply With Quote