View Single Post
May 16th, 2011, 07:06 AM
Posts: n/a
Labor started late at night on 5/10. We had gone on a long walk with the girls, took care of 'business' back at home, then we sat down to watch TV and I started feeling more intense contractions than usual. I went to bed at 10pm, and woke up at 11pm because they were too strong to get comfortable. I was in and out of sleep until about 1am, when I realized this was not the same prelabor I had been experiencing the past 2 months.

I called my OB office, and they said since it is baby #3, we should be on the safe side and come in. So I woke up DH, called my mom to come over and watch the girls, and we started to pack. We left at about 2:30am, and got to the hospital around 3.

I was at a 2, the week before I was at a 1. DH and I walked the halls for an hour playing Words With Friends on our iPhones. We were too tired to talk, and it really helped pass the time After the walking I was at a 3, and they wanted me to walk more. I wanted to sleep. So they said to take a nap, and when I woke up I could walk more. There was no point in encouraging labor if I was exhausted.

So at this point I was admitted, and it was truly baby time. It was about 5am. My contractions were picking up and getting strong, but I was able to nap a little. A nurse came in because baby had moved and she needed to adjust the monitors. That's when she noticed his HR had dropped into the 90s. It took awhile before it came back up, so they said I had to stay in bed and be continuously monitored. They thought the cord might be wrapped around his neck, or maybe he was just squeezing it, but they didn't want to risk his HR dropping again.

My OB was scheduled to come in at 10:30am. He had a C/S and hysterectomy to do that morning. He came in around 11 and told me that he was going to let me wait it out until after he was done with the surgeries. So I could have a small snack and watch some daytime TV while he did his thing. He told me he didn't want to speed thing up with me now, and have me start pushing when he was elbow deep in someone's uterus. (His words not mine) So when he was done cutting out a baby and removing a uterus, he would come back and catch my baby. (Again, his words, not mine. I love my OB!)

At 2pm the pitocin was started and I was moved to a rocker because I was having awful back labor. At 2:30 my OB came in and popped my water. I was at a 4 by then. At 3:30 I got the epidural. I had made it to a 5 with the pitocin, so I thought that was pretty good. The pain was unbearable and I couldn't wait any longer. The epi wasn't terrible, but he was having issues getting the catheter in. I felt shocks in my leg, and was getting back spasms. DH was getting pissed because he thought the guy was incompetent. All he could do was watch and rub my foot while I shook like a madwoman because the pain and the spasms were so intense. I had to get 2 numbing shots because I felt the epi needle go in. It was worse than the labor pain.

An hour later at 4:30 I was feeling the urge to push. So they got the room prepped and by 5 I gave my first push. 20 minutes later 8lb 6oz 20.5in Chace Joseph was born. He was sunny side up and the cord was around his neck, but not very tight. (I'm 3/3 sunny side up babies!)

The pushing was so calm and relaxing. I was able to push when I wanted to, and took a few breaks to regain my strength. I didn't make any crazy noises, and I was calmly talking to the staff the whole time. It was really cool. I didn't tear at all, which was surprising given his size!

He was weighed twice because the OB and nurse didn't think it was correct. They estimated about 6 or 6.5lbs, based on my size and how big my girls were at birth. None of my friends can believe he was in my little belly

The most special part of my L&D was I got to pull him out of me. I got to do it with DD, and I really wanted to do it again. So after his head and shoulders delivered the OB let me reach down and pull him out. He laid on me until the cord stopped pulsating. And then they let him lay on me another 10 minutes or so until he got cleaned up. He BF within the next 10 minutes, and we got to enjoy our son for another 30 minutes or so until DH went out to get our family.

So that's how my little man came into this world!

Last edited by Serendipity3; May 16th, 2011 at 07:09 AM.
Reply With Quote