View Single Post
May 18th, 2011, 06:21 PM
SillyKitty SillyKitty is offline
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,571
I transferred from my OB to my midwives at 12 weeks. I contacted my midwifery group first, had my first appointment with them, then notified my OB's office that I was canceling my next appointment. I didn't tell him face-to-face, but I went to his office and talked to his office staff to get the records transferred, then left a very polite voicemail on his nurses' line thanking him for the great care that he provided me through my miscarriages and early pregnancy. My midwives happen to know the OB I used and told me that he is generally supportive of them, and he would not be offended that I transferred because I want a home birth.

Regarding your "risk" based on your early miscarriages, my midwifery group did a risk assessment. If your midwife uses the same assessment, having 3 or more back to back miscarriages would earn a score of 3 on the assessment, meaning that your record would have to be reviewed by their own back-up OB. Since most midwives have a home-birth friendly back-up OB, I don't think that OB would think you were too risky just because of early miscarriages, especially since you've made it this far now.

If you do pursue the home birth option, make sure to ask about pro-rated rates for the midwifery services since you are transferring into the practice later on. My midwives dropped $300 from their usual rate since I had done all the first trimester testing and appointments already.

So to summarize, I would recommend contacting the midwifery group and setting up an appointment first, see how things go with that appointment, THEN tell the OB that you are transferring if you decide to. Good luck!
Mom of 3 awesome girls

Lucia Jane, born 10.9.11

Forever missing our angel babies
Reply With Quote