View Single Post
October 13th, 2011, 07:56 PM
MustangTania's Avatar
MustangTania MustangTania is offline
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 1,169
My second child and first daughter Giovanna Lucia, or Gia as we call her, was born on my late maternal grandmother's birthday, September 29th, 2011 via C-Section. Although, Gia was coming on that day whether I was ready or not.

I had been losing parts of my mucus plug for a week prior to Gia's birth, but didn't think much of it. Working at an OB office, I knew that you could lose parts of your plug and not go into real labor for days or even weeks. On the morning of the 29th, I was struggling to sleep because of the excitement and anxiety. This was my second C-Section, but it may as well have been my first because I was still a nervous wreck. And I was so very excited to meet my daughter. I was scheduled to the arrive at the hospital at 7am for a 9am surgery. At around 3am, I got up to pee and I lost a much much bigger chunk of my mucus plug. I was also bleeding a little bit and I just figured, if it was anything at all, I was delivering that day anyway so no big deal. I went back to bed and tried to get comfortable when I felt my first painful contraction. At first, I didn't know what the heck it was as I never labored with my DS. It lasted a good 30 seconds. I tried to close my eyes and fall asleep when about 5 minutes later, I felt another one. I remember other women describing it as very painful menstrual cramps that you also feel in your back and it was just like that. I calmly got up, took a quick shower and got dressed. I then woke my DH up and told him that I was contracting every 5 minutes and he started freaking out. I told him to remain calm, get up and get showered and I was going to wait for him downstairs. We had to go to the hospital a little earlier than they expected us. I went downstairs and hung out with my mother who was already at our house spending the night so she could take care of my DS. After DH was ready, we headed out to the hospital. My hospital is a half hour drive from my house and by the time we got there, I was contracting every 2-3 minutes. I informed the front desk that we were there early because of my contractions. The triage nurse came to get me and I was put in a triage room and hooked up to monitors and had blood drawn. They called my OB to come in early and I labored for about 2 hours in that room. I couldn't believe I was actually feeling real labor pains!! They were intense!! When the nurse checked my cervix, I was only a fingertip dilated! I was surprised I wasn't dilated more!! I give credit to ALL mothers who do it without drugs!! At around 7:40am, I was wheeled into the OR and I was so nervous, I was crying like a baby!! But the OR nurses were amazing, as was the Doctors and anesthesiologist. The spinal went so great. The whole surgery went so quickly. It's so weird getting a C-Section, like when you can feel them touching you, but you don't feel pain. So so strange!! Then the OB assisting pushed down on my belly to get the baby out and I thought I was going to stop breathing! The woman is strong!! LOL!! Then Gia was out and when I heard her cry for the first time, I bawled and bawled!! She looked just like her brother when he was born, except she's a little lighter skinned and has lighter hair. I really thought she was going to be such a big baby--I gained so so much weight, but to my surprise, she was only 6 lbs. 13 oz. and 19 inches long. She was born at 8:15am.

Gia is very different than her brother and I blame my mother for jinxing me. AJ, my DS, was such an easy baby. I could put him in his swing or his bouncy seat and do dishes or fold laundry and he would be quiet and content. Gia needs to be held allllll the time and she's a screamer!! Before Gia was born, my mom said that Gia was going to be my difficult one, because she's a girl and she's going to be like I was to my mother--a handful! LOL!! It's all good though. I absolutely adore her. She sleeps really good. Breastfeeding is proving once again to be a challenge for me. I'm not producing enough milk to satisfy her and I'm having to supplement with formula which totally wasn't my plan. I had such difficulties breastfeeding my DS and I developed a minor depression because I felt like a failure. I ended up exclusively formula feeding him after a month. Gia is 2 weeks old today and I'm still giving it my all. She sleeps like a rock so it's very hard, if not impossible to wake her for feedings. I've tried everything. I pump, but still, my supply is pathetic. I'm on a medication called Reglan that is supposed to increase my milk supply, as well as supplements: Fenugreek, Blessed Thistle and More Milk Plus drops. I'm keeping the faith and I will give it until she's a month old. If my supply is still as little as it is today, I will have no choice but to formula feed her.

Her brother is 2.5 years old and he's still unsure about her. I think he's still waiting for this "visitor to leave". I'm trying hard to show him so much love and affection, which of course, I am, but Gia is taking so much of my time, having to hold her all the time and the breastfeeding issues. I'm hoping they will be the best of friends someday. For now, he's still bopping her in the head every now and then.

I am in love with my kids!!

**Thank you Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy!!**
Reply With Quote