View Single Post
October 31st, 2011, 06:44 AM
10x_A_Mommy's Avatar
10x_A_Mommy 10x_A_Mommy is offline
Plus 1 :)
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 7,797
Photo Slideshow here: My Video 10/28/11 at One True Media - share slideshows, slide shows, Facebook slideshows, free video sharing, video montages.

When I woke up on the morning of October 25th it was no different than any other morning other than I had actually gotten some sleep the night before. I sat there drinking my coffee, wondering would today be the day that my baby would arrive? Just as I had wondered every morning for weeks before that. When I started noticing contractions around noon I thought nothing of them. They were no different than the braxton hicks I had been having and ranged anywhere from 6-13 minutes apart, very irregular. I was on the phone chatting with my friend Natasha around 3 pm and she asked me "are you having that baby yet?" to which I replied "no, I don't think this one is ever going to come out" (you know that feeling, the "I'm going to stay pregnant for 100 years" you get those last weeks of pregnancy). Ironically just a few minutes after that I feel a slight trickle down my leg……then a little more……..and quickly realized it was my water leaking. Shortly after that I went to pick up Rich from work and told him he should let his boss know he wouldn't be in the next day because the baby was on his way.
Once back home I tried to straighten up the house a bit while Rich went grocery shopping. Natasha was on her way over and we were going to go for a walk. Contractions were still very far spread and irregular and I just knew it wouldn't be until late night/early morning that real labor would actually kick in. Afterall, my last 4 kids were induced after labor didn't start after my water breaking. Natasha arrived around 5:30 or so I think it was and we went for a walk, Rich got home and cooked dinner and then I got in the shower. Contractions were feeling real by that point and were a consistent 4-5 minutes apart but not painful at all. Midwife Debi arrived as I was finishing up in the shower, I think that was around 6:30 pm and her assistant Carly came shortly after. I was feeling guilty that these poor ladies were going to be sitting around all night long waiting for me to go into labor but they kept pretty busy getting everything set up with all my kids in the way helping. Natasha had gone home for dinner and she came back around 7:30 or so. We went for another walk shortly after which intensified the contractions but I could still talk through them and they were nothing more but a little uncomfortable. We just kinda hung out waiting. Around 8pm I asked Debi if we could start filling the pool because I knew I would need it soon. She said I needed to be 6cm's dilated before I could get in so I asked her to go ahead and check me because if we wait until I'm in pain and then check and the number is too low for my liking it's just going to upset me. So she checked and to my surprise I was 6-7 cm's dilated already! They quickly started filling the pool and even had Rich boiling pots of water on the stove. I was still feeling ok but they knew time was short. I had a few contractions after that where I had to lean over the dresser and sway my hips through but the instant it was over I was back to moving around and doing whatever. Around 8:45 pm I went out to the front porch and called my sister to tell her how far along things were. I remember leaning over the spare tire on Natasha's jeep during one contraction out there, and over our bench for another one and I told my sister I was going to head inside before another contraction hit and I would talk to her later.
Once we got inside I changed my shirt then had a contraction. Then I told Natasha she should get one last belly pic before I got into the tub, she told Rich to get into the pic with me and another contraction hit (hence the goofy pic with him holding my belly). I leaned over him but that didn't help and I had to drop to my knees at the foot of the bed. During that contraction I felt my body pushing and I could feel his head coming. All I could think about was I am NOT having a baby in my underwear and as soon as that contraction was over I ripped my skirt off and said something along the lines of "I need in the water NOW" and got in. The next contraction came and I told midwife Carly my body was pushing, I hear her yell to Debi "She said her body is pushing"……….then I hear her say "I have a head!". Debi came in and told me to push the rest of him out when I was ready and with the next contraction I gave one push and my baby was here at 9:02 p.m. That's when I realized Rich missed it! I don't know why, but when I got in the tub I told Rich to get the kids out of the room (I wish I hadn't), Rich took them out of the room and by the time he got back I was holding the baby. I was in shock at how quickly and easy everything went! Aidyn let out a few small cries then just laid there on my chest wide eyed. The kids were back in the room within seconds of his birth and the smiles on their faces were priceless. After the placenta was delivered my 10 year old, Dylan, got to cut the cord which he was Very proud of. We got out of the pool and hung out in bed for awhile so baby could nurse and the midwives ran a nice hot herbal bath which we enjoyed after. Once we were done with our bath we came back to bed and did the newborn exam which he did great through. I was surprised to learn that he was 8 lbs 1 oz, 21.5 inches long …. I was guessing he was closer to 7 lbs! After all that was done he got dressed and bundled up and we spent the night in bed together. Didn't sleep a whole lot but when you have something that precious to stare at all night nothing else mattered much
I am so happy that I decided to go with a home birth this time and couldn't have asked for a more perfect birth……or baby! He didn't have a name until Friday but is fitting into it well. Debi was Awesome to have as a midwife and I am so thankful to her for being there with us through this. We had only first met last month when we moved here to Tennessee but she made me feel like she knew me well and knew everything I needed. I wish I could have spent more time with her!
Mom to Meagan,Nathan, Dylan, Tristan ^i^, Zachary,Ashlyn,
Gavin, Kason, Aidyn,Adelynn & Rylen due July 7, 2015 - born June 5th!

Reply With Quote