View Single Post
March 13th, 2012, 12:08 PM
hsmaldo hsmaldo is offline
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,976
On Monday night, I had a little bit of a hard time falling asleep, I just felt sore and achy, but fell asleep around 10 pm. At 1:24, I was woken up by a contraction and I laid in bed for a moment while I woke up fully. I woke DH up and told him to get a towel. He jumped out of bed and grabbed one for me and as soon as I stood up, my water broke. He didn't realize what was going on, he thought I had just peed myself.

We made the decision to call his parents to come over; they live 45 minutes away. While we were waiting for them, I jumped in the shower. At this point contractions weren't too bad, I was still able to talk and move during them. We grabbed a few last minute items and DH got the car packed with our bags. His parents showed up in record time; my FIL said he drove 85 mph down the interstate and had his story ready for the police if he got stopped!!

We left for the hospital right around 3 am. I had wanted to labor as much as I could at home, but expected the labor to go quickly and the contractions were coming about every 2-2 1/2 minutes apart and I was no longer able to talk through them.

The ride to the hospital was uneventful and we got checked in to the hospital right around 3:20 am. I showed the nurses my birth plan which included no IV (which they were a little baffled, but then were okay with it when they talked to my dr.) When they checked me at around 4 am, I was 4 cm. For the next few hours I breathed through the contractions, progressing about 1 cm/hour and by about 7 am, I was 7 cm dilated. I was happy with how it was progressing and figured that I would be hitting transition any time. Around 8 am though, I was still at 7 cm. I was upset because the contractions were getting harder to breath through and there was no progress. I changed positions, tried standing/swaying through the contractions which made them infinitely more painful and then tried sitting in a rocking chair, which was also much more painful. At 9 am they checked me again and I was STILL at 7 cm. At this point my dr suggested pitocin to get things moving and I knew that if I did that, I would want the epidural as well. Since things were getting REALLY painful and I was not making any progress, I said that I would go ahead with the epi. So they hooked me up to the IV and got things set up for that. Around 10 am they checked me one more time before giving me the epi and I was still at 7 cm.

So I got the epi around 10:15 am and they started the pitocin as soon as that kicked in. I got checked again at 11 am and I was at 10 cm and ready to push. They had me give a "practice push" and I pushed once and everyone yelled STOP!!! I guess she was right there and they still had to break down the bed and get everything ready. At about 11:10 am they had me begin pushing. I pushed 4 times with the first contraction and once more with the next contraction and she was out!

So Rachel Elizabeth was born at 11:16 am on Tuesday, July 6th. She weighed in at exactly 7 lbs and 20 inches long. Her apgars were 9 and 9.

DH was able to cut the cord and I got to hold her right away. I ended up tearing along my old episiostomy cut and needed some stitches, but since it was along scar tissue, it hasn't bothered me very much at all.

After they bathed her and warmed her up, I got to nurse her and she did very well with it.

She ended up being jaundiced, but they discharged us on Thursday because her level was only at a 12. We ended up being re-admitted through the ER the following Monday because her level was up to 20. We were discharged for good on Wednesday 7/14.

So we're finally home and I'm loving my new little girl. Her big sister Kyla loves to give her hugs and kisses and is adjusting pretty well, though we've had our bouts of temper tantrums for attention. But overall, everything is going great.

Reply With Quote