Topic: Daniel Joseph
View Single Post
March 13th, 2012, 12:08 PM
SarahBethsMommy's Avatar
SarahBethsMommy SarahBethsMommy is offline
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 4,847
My BP had been running high for a while. I started spilling a bit of protein in my urine at my last 3 checks, but on my weekly NSTs, baby was looking great. On Tuesday, June 15, I went in to see my OB for my weekly visit. I was 35 weeks. He sent me to the hospital for a NST and bloodwork because of my high BP and protein was at 2+. Everything came back just fine, so he sent me home to come back on Thursday for another NST.

I worried most of the night. On Wednesday, I called because my BP just wouldn't stabilize at all. My regular OB wasn't on that day, but the OB who saw me was very nice and checked everything. Nothing had changed since the day before. He also ordered an ultrasound that showed the amniotic fluids were a little low and baby was weighing only about 4lbs 9ozs. I went home again.

On Thursday I went in for my NST absolutely SURE they'd keep me and monitor me until the baby was born. But sure enough, baby looked fine and they sent me home ... AGAIN!

On Friday, June 18, I was feeling ok. I put myself on bedrest that week, so Friday I was taking time to literally just sit and rest and not do anything. I was laying around and about 2 in the afternoon a sharp pain in my upper stomach area sat me up quickly. I called my mother (a former L&D nurse for 20 years) who said we should call the doctor and go in. I did and they said to come on to the hospital and get monitored again.

My mother and father came to get me and we went on to the hospital. AGAIN, everything came back ok. But as I was in my NST, baby's heartrate decelerated for about 3 minutes before recovering. That was enough to make my OB say, "Let's keep you overnight." They were thinking we'd probably deliver on Saturday morning at that point.

Then about 10 p.m. baby decided to show everyone that ENOUGH IS ENOUGH. The heartrate dropped repeatedly. The doctor came in to talk with me about going ahead to do a c-section that night and right on cue, baby's heartrate dropped again. So off we went.

C-section was pretty standard. I got a spinal and nothing really eventful happened. At 11:57 p.m. on June 18, we finally heard a BEAUTIFUL tiny cry (followed by lots more) and the doctor said, "It's a BOY!"

Daniel Joseph came into the world a little blue, but pinked up quickly. The cut off for weight for babies to be able to go to the well-baby nursery (not the NICU) in our hospital is 4lbs 8ozs. He weighed 4lbs 7.6ozs. So the neonatologist allowed him to try out well baby and see if he could handle it.

My DH was able to carry him to the nursery and help with his first bath. I was in recovery for a while (monitoring my BP mostly). About 1:30 a.m. I finally got to see Daniel and feed him. He breastfeeds well, but tires out quickly, so we are supplementing a bit. I'm also pumping to promote my milk letdown since he was early.

All in all though, he's perfect and I'm good!!

Daniel Joseph
June 18, 2010
4lbs 8ozs 17.5 inches long
A head FULL of black hair
Brown eyes

This is Sarah Beth getting to hold her little brother for the first time...
Reply With Quote