Topic: Birth Stories
View Single Post
May 30th, 2012, 06:09 PM
dragonfly dragonfly is offline
Co Host - July 2011 PR
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 946
Sorry it's a long one lol. I wrote this for my blog so I figured it would just be easiest to copy and paste haha

They weren't kidding when they say it hurts!

Yes, I'm talking about the 13 hours before Charlie came into my life. Yes, I'm talking about labor! Just so that you are fore warned I'm not going to be sugar coating it for those pregnant women out there who are feeling a little nervous for their first time going through labor. You deserve to know the truth! So if you're looking for me to tell you it's a breeze and it's not as bad as you think, stop reading now!

When I thought of labor I expected to feel a huge gush of water and look down to see the floor soaking wet. Then I would waddle to the phone through painful contractions, calling my hubby home from work and then rushing into the hospital where in the next couple hours I would be holding my baby in my arms. As I now know, that was a completely unrealistic and Hollywood fantasy.

I started having contractions in the early evening on July 28th. I brushed them off as being braxton hicks simply because they weren't at all painful. "It's only false labor." I told myself seeing as how I was still 1 week and 6 days away from my due date. Boy, was I wrong! My hubby called me from work to check in and not wanting to alarm him I insisted that everything was fine and neglected to let him know that the contractions weren't going away. By the time he got home a couple hours later not only did they not go away but I was having "period like" cramps that were starting to become uncomfortable. When he walked through the door I hesitated before telling him, "Honey, I think we need to go to the hospital." His response, "Now?!"

We both rushed around the apartment as I double and triple checked my hospital bag to make sure I had everything for both myself and my new bundle of joy. I kept insisting that they would probably just send us home because this couldn't be it. It seemed so surreal.

We never took any prenatal classes so when getting to the hospital I was a little unsure on how everything worked. Walking up to the front desk on the labor and delivery ward the nurse looked at me expectantly as I half asked, "I think I'm in labor?" They didn't seem too convinced either. But they admitted me anyways giving me a room and after getting into my hospital gown I was strapped up to the monitors so they could evaluate how the baby was doing and how my contractions were coming along. They had been 4-5 minutes a part since they first started but I still didn't think they felt painful enough to be real labor. My heart started beating faster and faster the longer we were in the hospital as it started to set in that I wouldn't be going home.

Finally when the nurse checked me to see how far along I was (Which is one of the most uncomfortable parts of having a baby. When you feel like you need something out you don't want anyone shoving their hands up there!) we found out that I was 2cm dilated and 50% effaced. "Still quite a ways to go." As the nurse put it. But seeing as how we weren't going home we both pulled out our cell phones to let everyone know that pretty soon we were going to have our baby and I got on the phone to call my cousin who was my second coach so that she could get off work and get to the hospital.

Even though I was getting close to 24 hours of no sleep I couldn't even fall asleep if I wanted to. I tried walking through the halls to get things going which I soon found unbearable as the contractions got more and more intense. I had the nurse come into my room and sit down with me to discuss my options for the pain. I had it set in my mind that I was going to try to go as natural as possible and there was NO WAY that I wanted an epidural. The nurse was quite adamant on finding out why I wouldn't consider it. I didn't really appreciate how hard she was trying to push it on me either. It's almost like people think you're crazy if you go all natural. (which I later learned from my cousin's experience that at least with epidurals there's a lot less screaming and although it's not completely enjoyable, you can appreciate the moment more. Although I still wouldn't get one the next time).

I ended up scaring the poor nurse who came in to take my blood. As she was sticking the needle into my vein a contraction started and as I tensed up and held onto the side of the bed for support she almost took a step back asking me, "Am I hurting you?" I laughed it off and assured her that she was fine but in the back of my head I was trying to figure out what else they expected from someone who was in labor and I almost resented her asking such a stupid question (As you can tell, at this point I was starting to get a wee bit irritable).

I had always thought that I would have been one of those crazy angry women in labor who are screaming and yelling at everyone, dropping the "F" bomb every second word but surprisingly I suffered in silence as both my hubby and my cousin watched Batman on the television that they had in my room. I couldn't find a comfortable position anymore as everything started to ache. My hips were so sore that lying on my sides was excruciating. I started getting anxious and impatient and wished that time would just go by faster.

When my doctor finally came in to see my she gave me a questioning look. "Didn't I just see you the other day for your appointment?" she asked me as though that was supposed to make a difference. She then started to tell me that if I wanted they could break my water for me which would help move things along but she also warned me that the contractions would get 100x more painful and intense. I hesitated wishing that they would tell me what to do because at that point I wasn't sure which was best. Because I kept hesitating my doctor left me in my misery to wait it out and see if I progressed on my own (If I could do it all over again I would have definitely told them to break my water right then and there).

After 7-8 hours since the last time I got checked to see how much I was dilated, I was starting to get extremely impatient as my contractions were very close together and the pressure and pain was starting to get to me. Hospitals should seriously look into getting their rooms sound proofed because the last thing I wanted to hear (As much as I understood) was the other women in labor as they made their final pushes. It's not the most comforting and encouraging thing to hear when you're nervous and not knowing what to expect next.

Finally, FINALLY, they checked me again and the nurse was surprised to say that I was 8cm dilated and 100% effaced!!! Almost go time! I told her then that I wanted my water broken and to get things moving. At that point I gave in and told her that I needed something to take the edge of the contractions off. The nurse that I had was amazing and so unbelievably nice. Right when I agreed to Nubane she went rushing into the hall calling out to the other nurses "Get this girl some drugs! This little girl needs drugs!" I had to laugh. After a shot in my bum the pain was still there but my head became so foggy that it was hard to focus on how much it hurt. Instead I drifted on and off as I waited for my doctor to come break my water.

I have to admit though that the Nubane might have been a bad idea only because everything after that is a little bit foggy. If anyone wants to be able to fully remember their experience I would suggest staying away from Nubane!

Getting your water broken is almost scary as they pull out this HUGE crochet needle looking instrument that they use to break the membranes. The next thing I knew there was a *GUSH* and I was given a button to press once I started feeling like I had to push. And the next thing I knew I had this incredible urge to go to the bathroom and I started pushing the button like there was no tomorrow.

Everything after this point I can only remember the feelings because I had my eyes shut as tight as I could close them. When the nurse went to check me for the last time it was absolutely horrible! Charlie's head was RIGHT THERE and not only did I have the nurse's hand right up there trying to push back a piece of my cervix but Charlie was so adamant on coming out that he was moving his head around like crazy as if he was trying to wriggle his way out.

The contractions were relentless and it seemed as though they were non stop and I couldn't catch my breath in between. Every time I had to push I ended up screaming as though using my vocal chords were making the pushing easier (it doesn't). I do remember at one point I tried to close my legs and told the nurse "I change my mind! He can stay in there!" My nurse was amazing because even though I was being extremely stubborn she was so patient with me and kept encouraging me the entire time.
If I could give anyone advice it would be that when you push, keep pushing no matter how much it hurts because it will be so much easier in the end. That was the problem that I had. Once I felt that stinging sensation of his head getting closer and closer to crowning I would stop because I felt like it was ripping me in half. I actually remember the moment I teared because the doctor actually told me "I know, that has to hurt."
Now for anybody who is afraid that they'll poop during labor, it's going to happen and you're extremely lucky if you don't. On the positive side, you really won't care when it happens because you'll be too preoccupied with pushing a watermelon through a hole the size of a lemon and believe me, that takes up pretty much your entire attention span. As I've been told by my hubby and my cousin, it's amazing what the human body goes through while delivering a baby. Apparently there's fluid flying everywhere that can jet out across the room.

Through the whole thing my eyes were closed and finally when I heard his first cry as Chris cut the umbilical chord and the doctor plopped this wriggling little baby on my chest, I opened my eyes and my heart melted. The one part that I agree with, is that once you have that baby in your arms the entire part before hand almost disappears and all is right with the world. At that point I had already pushed out the placenta and the doctor was stitching me up. I could feel the needle and thread pulling at me which made me want to kick the doctor away because I didn't want anything interfering in the first moment I had with my son.

After being weighed and check Charlie was bundled up and giving to my hubby, Chris, who even cried as he held our son for the first time. From that point on, no matter how exhausted I was, I couldn't take the smile off of my face. No matter how sore I was, or how tired I was, or how much I wanted a shower (honestly the first shower you have after giving birth is the most rewarding, revitalizing, and amazing shower you will ever have!) all I could think about was the bundle of joy sleeping in the bassinet beside me.

I count myself extremely lucky that everything went really well and he came out kicking and screaming but perfectly healthy. We were able to go home from the hospital the day after and besides the stitches we both did really well.

So that was how my wonderful baby boy came into this world. And even though next time I might do things a little differently I wouldn't change it for the world. Giving birth is an experience where all of your privacy and dignity goes out the window and yes it hurts like hell but despite the poop and the fluids and the blood, it is the most beautiful and rewarding experience that you will have.

Was it all worth it? Absolutely! Would I do it all over again? Without a doubt! Do I plan on going through it again anytime soon? Ummm no.
Thank you tasha_mae for my beautiful siggy!

Proud mama to 10 month old, Charlie <3 !
Reply With Quote