View Single Post
February 3rd, 2013, 10:23 AM
JessicaW's Avatar
JessicaW JessicaW is offline
Super Mommy
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Central Jersey
Posts: 754
Been a long time since I've posted here, not since first tri, but hopefully some of you remember me!

It was July 4, two days after my due date, and DH and I both had off from work. We slept in and did some late morning "snuggling." About a half hour after we finished, as I was still laying in bed, I heard two pops in the pelvic area. I got up to start making a dish for a barbecue later that afternoon. I went into the living room and sat down for a moment to chat with DH. That's when I started to feel fluid coming out.

I said to DH, "I think my water might have broken." This put him into a state of panic!

I went into the bathroom and a lot of clear fluid dribbled out. I saw the mucus plug in the toilet. There was no mistaking - this was it!

It was 1:30pm. DH called the midwife, breathlessly: "The water broke!!!" The midwife said to keep her posted on my contractions. I didn't have any at the moment.

After DH calmed himself down a bit , we headed to the supermarket to get some food for the hospital. We called our parents. They had been waiting on pins and needles for the past three weeks, imagining every time we called that we had big news. We always had nothing...until now! "It's showtime!" we told them, to peels of excitement on the other end.

We packed up the car. I answered some emails. Around 4pm, I was only crampy, so the midwife suggested I take 2 oz of castor oil. A bit later, we drove to the hospital. We had to arrive early because I was GBS positive. We took the back route, country roads, because the oil alarm was malfunctioning and it is very loud and scary when it goes off. Fortunately, the alarm held off until the very end of the drive.

At the hospital, my contractions were getting a bit more powerful. DH and I walked around the hospital grounds timing the contractions. They were 5-7 minutes apart and about a minute long. It was 6pm.

By 9pm, things were really rolling. I was 2cm dilated and the contractions were coming fast and furious. I wasn't talking at this point, just grunting and occasionally yelling "On!" or "Off!" to DH, depending on whether I wanted the blanket. I was oscillating between hot and cold. My contractions felt like stabbing pains in my cervix. I had no back or pelvic pain, just the stabbing. I remember vaguely being happy when it passed midnight because we didn't want the baby to have to share a birthday with a holiday.

At 1:30am, I felt the urge to push. I was scared to tell the midwife because I worried she would tell me not to, and the urge, as they say, is overpowering. After three contractions like this, I said timidly, "Pam, I know this might be premature, but I'm feeling the urge to push." She checked me. I was dilated 8cm with a lip of cervix blocking the way. She reached in and slipped it aside. ****, that hurt!! But then in an instant I was 10cm and pushing!!

By this time, my grunts and moans had turned into yells. My father sitting outside in the waiting room was listening to them coming one after another for hours until at last, he heard a baby cry.

Sylvia June came out at 2:21am with both hands up by her head, like Superman flying into the world. Everyone who was there -- my mom, the midwife, DH - said I pushed like a tiger. All I remember is wanting that baby OUT, OUT, OUT!

I delivered on all fours, as I had predicted. I turned over and they lifted Sylvia up onto my chest. They checked her out there and Bob cut the umbilical cord. I don't remember this part very well because all I could focus on was how much I still hurt! I remember my sister telling me, "Once the baby is out, the pain stops." And now all I could think was, "She lied to me!"

After 15 minutes of me staring into space like a zombie, people started to become concerned. I could tell they were worried so I mustered the energy to say something: "I'm fine. It's just that my vagina really hurts." That seemed to calm them. Finally the placenta came out and they put some ice down there and I started to feel better.

So I got the natural birth I wanted. It actually never crossed my mind to ask for pain meds. I was in a trance, just focused on getting through it. I was lucky that my labor was relatively fast. I was also in good shape, having done Zumba until 38 weeks, and getting lots of sleep in the final weeks. So labor was a big win. EBFing on the other hand was the hardest thing I've ever done. We are still doing it, but the first two months were among the worst of my life.
Me: 36 DH: 33
DD: July 2012

May-June 2013: Follistim + IUI = overstimulated, cycle cancelled
July 2013: Follistim + IUI = m/c at 4.5 weeks
August-Sept 2013: BCPs then IVF = freeze-all due to OHSS risk
October 2013: Natural cycle = BFN
November 6, 2013: Day 1 !!!!
November 24, 2013: Transferred one thawed euploid male embryo
November 29, 2013: BFP!
August 12, 2014: Cautiously hoping for this due date

Reply With Quote