Topic: Sonograms
View Single Post
February 25th, 2013, 02:36 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by GranolaMama View Post
I'm wondering: Do you ladies think there is any increased need for the 20 week anatomy scan when planning an out of hospital birth, just to cover your basses and be prepared if there was a birth defect of some sort? I'm referring to something life-threatening if not treated immediately, or that would require surgical birth. I have a friend with a spina bifida baby, so I guess I'm just thinking along those lines...
This is the only reason I got one, my daughter's anomaly was similar to spina bifida, and it required immediate medical treatment and she had surgery a few hours after birth. I realize that things like this are extremely rare, but having been on the side where the rare happens to you I needed to know that everything was ok.
My midwife actually didn't want to use the doppler on me early on, she always left it in the car because she doesn't like them that much lol. It's only when I specifically asked for her to find the heartbeat that she would go get it, and she always told me "I just want to make sure that you understand this is U/S" lol I do appreciate that