View Single Post
March 31st, 2013, 08:30 AM
Platinum Supermommy
My sons both are diagnosed with autism--my oldest had a moderate case that is now mild and my youngest actually has PDDNOS, not autism, but apparently they are diagnosing it as on the spectrum. This post is about my oldest.

Every day, he has this sort of "freak out", but not a behavioral one. He just yells out and falls to the ground and sort of rolls around and 30 seconds later he is fine. It used to be a lot more severe; I think he's gotten better at reigning in his reaction when it happens, but basically he told me (he's verbal) that it feels like his whole body is tickling under the skin or sometimes he says the he feels itchy all over. It usually happens while he is doing a calm/non-physical activity, like sitting reading a book or watching a television show.

He also complains sometimes that he feels like his heart is beating out of his chest. This also happens about every day or every other day, and again, there seems to be nothing physical or otherwise triggering it.

Has anyone else been through something similar? What was causing it? I'm wondering if it might be some kind of sensory of anxiety thing, though I'm not sure what sensory could be causing it since I haven't noticed any triggers when it happens.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts on this.