View Single Post
July 16th, 2013, 02:39 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar
Kelllilee Kelllilee is offline
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Washington State
Posts: 13,080
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
This birth definitely wasn't how I planned, but I'm at peace with it all because it was the safest option for us.

We had planned another homebirth but I was also seeing an OB in addition to my midwife (intuition perhaps?). I hadn't done that in other pregnancies. At the end of June I left on a big family road/camping trip. The trip was pretty uneventful and I was really good about taking it easy and skipping out on activities that made me feel too worn out or tired. The last three days we stayed in Boise to visit family and we joked around about how it would be okay if baby came while we were there because the hotel was immediately next door to a huge hospital!

July 14th we headed home. About 3 hours into the trip we stopped for lunch. As soon as I walked into the restaurant something didn't feel right. I got dizzy, crampy, and felt very heavy and out of it. I barely touched lunch and went out to the car to lay down and wait for everyone else to finish. The rest of the way home DH drove (I had been driving 95% of the time before that). My feet started swelling a bit and I started having a headache and still couldn't shake the "this isn't right" feeling. I was having some mild, regular contractions, but not painful. I called my midwife and she had me stop at a pharmacy to check my blood pressure, which was slightly high for me, but within normal levels. When we got home I laid down for the rest of the day. I was feeling better physically but still felt something was off.

Went to bed at about 10:30. Baby was moving normally at that point but my uterus felt a touch more uncomfortable than usual when I was trying to settle in. I woke up about 12:45am feeling like I had peed the bed. Of course I jumped up immediately and ran to the bathroom, confused why it was still coming out since I can usually hold it once I'm awake. Sat down on the toilet and realized there was a huge trail of blood across the bathroom and down my legs and it kept coming. Every time I stood up more blood gushed from me. Bled though a pad instantly. So I hollered to DH that I needed help. He woke immediately, saw all the blood and I swear just about passed out. I had him start getting dressed and finding me something to wear while I called my mom to head over to watch the girls and called my midwife to let her know what was going on.

My mom got there in record time. As soon as she got there my calm dissolved and I was in tears pretty much the next 2 hours straight. She brought my step-dad who stayed with the kids and she drove us to the hospital. At this point I was wearing nothing but a nightgown and two towels shoved between my legs! My midwife had called the hospital to let them know we were coming and faxed over my info so they ran right out and rushed me to L&D. Thankfully they found baby's heartbeat right away, which was a huge relief. They did an ultrasound to rule out previa, but couldn't see the cause of the bleeding. however, baby failed the BPP and wasn't really moving and her heartrate was "flat" and non-reactive. I wasn't have any contractions or dilating so they determined an emergency c/s was the best option. I knew the second I saw the blood that a c/s would be the result so I was okay with it, though obviously very emotional.

The c/s itself was really surreal having never had anything like that done before! Through the whole thing the OB kept commenting on how HUGE the abruption was and how much blood and clots (some as big as some of the other nicu babies!!) they found. He later called it "scary" and basically said we would have both died if we had come in any later. They got baby out right away and had to pump her stomach because she had swallowed so much blood. She wasn't allowed anything to eat for the first 12 hours, which was actually kind of a good thing since there was no option of her getting a bottle before I was out of recovery to feed her.

So far the recovery is going okay. I'm pretty sore and tired and very anemic from the blood loss. Baby was 5lb 7.8oz and didn't need any breathing help. She's in the NICU still for monitoring until all the blood gets through her system and she starts eating better. Breastfeeding is rough, but to be expected for the circumstance. It'll get better I'm sure.

I'll try to add some pics later!
Kellisa, Mama to:
Courtney, Nola, Kya, Whitney, and baby girl #5 coming soon!
Reply With Quote