Topic: nut free
View Single Post
July 17th, 2013, 11:56 AM
October 2012 PR Co-Host
Quote:
Originally Posted by marybethsmom View Post
I have mixed feelings on this. My older daughter has nut allergies. Not life-threatening, however, every exposure to the allergen makes the next attack worse. The public areas, yes, I completely agree with Kristen. Just don't go there if you're allergic to nuts. We have to avoid Chick-fi-la b/c they fry with peanut oil.

School, to me is a different thing. I know several times my daughter has been moved to a separate table while they ate pb&j sandwiches. She is very tender hearted & it hurt her feelings. Trust me, I do know how limiting it can be. Most candy/cookies are out of the question. The thing about telling your kids not to offer is all well and good, but little kids don't understand the ramifications. Can you imagine how scarred they would all be if one of their friends went into anaphylactic shock and died in front of them? I guess what I'm saying is I appreciate the schools that go nut free, my daughter's is not, because then I can send her to school with peace of mind that she's coming home safely.

Kristen, have you tried Sunbutter? It's made from sunflower seeds and my dh & dd love it!
We are huge sunbutter fans! I love the chunky version. We still buy and eat that even though everyone can have peanut butter now.

I totally get what everyone is saying. If you are allergic, just don't go. But most people can't homeschool like I was able to. Kids have to go to school. There has to be a way to keep these kids safe.

Yashobo, I know what you are saying about how many snacks are cut out just because of a "may contain." I'm not sure how that should be handled! We had so few options for snacks because of that, but companies are getting better at having other foods that are safe. I'm not sure how it is there.

There has to be a way to keep these kids safe, but I don't know what the solution is. I do know that a boy died at a school about an hour from here and it was very traumatic for everyone. I don't think anyone minded the rule after that.

My kids have since gone back to school (they went for the last several weeks of this past school year and will be going this coming school year). The school does not have any restriction, but I wouldn't have a problem if they did because I know all the alternatives.

I do understand what Morgan is saying. What if you have to ban nuts, milk, soy, etc. Milk and soy are even more difficult to avoid, IMO (dd had a milk allergy, also). I think the desensitization that my dd went through is becoming more and more widespread, so kids around the country can be treated and this won't be an issue anymore.

Jesus loving, SAHM to five children.