Topic: nut free
View Single Post
July 18th, 2013, 11:22 AM
Jinnah Jinnah is offline
October 2012 PR Co-Host
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,191
Krsiten, I understand what you are saying to a point. If it's that bad (where breathing it can cause a reaction) then it's too dangerous for the child to be in school. If it were MY child, I wouldn't risk it. Same with touch sensitivity. My dd could not ingest it. The doctor didn't want us to find out if she couldn't touch it. I was too afraid to send her, so I didn't. However, I feel totally blessed that I was able to stay home. We made sacrifices, but I wanted to be a SAHM, anyway. BUT, what if I couldn't stay home? What if we NEEDED that second income? I would have had to send her to school, and I'm glad there are schools out there that do cater to kids who have to go.

It's a PB&J. It is not crucial to eat this. Not eating it isn't going to kill a child, nor is it even going to hurt them. Can't they just eat it at home? I don't know, I guess I just don't see the problem with eating something else so another child doesn't die.

I really hope I don't sound rude. I'm just sharing my thoughts, but I know I'm a really straight to the point person.

Originally Posted by Momma2Chase View Post
Sorry ladies, I'm lurking (that's what happens when you are wide awake at 4am I guess lol)

I just wanted to throw my two cents in here because I've been on both sides of the spectrum.
My kids' school has a no-nut rule and it really bothered me until this past year. My step son is a ridiculously picky eater and went through a period where he literally wanted nothing to eat at school except for peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. I have to be honest and say I was pretty upset that this put ME in a bind to figure out what to feed him.

And then a few months ago my youngest (4) developed a nut allergy.

Now I'm one of those moms that has to read everything my son wants to eat. I have to ask at every restaurant whether or not there are peanuts or tree nuts in every meal he wants. I have to carry an Epi pen with me 24/7 just incase he accidentally gets a hold of something with nuts in it and stops breathing.

I don't agree that public areas should be peanut/nut free because that's a little drastic, and families dealing with this allergy will typically know which food places to avoid in the first place.
I am, however, very grateful that our local schools are so diligent in preventing severe reactions. Nut allergies are also most common in school aged children, which is why it makes total sense that schools are where they are making a more strict environment. I don't think it's fair to say children with an allergy like this should be homeschooled- my son has the same right to experience what a child without an allergy does.
I also don't agree that this should be compared to other things like diabetes. A nut allergy can be fatal within minutes of exposure. If a child with diabetes eats what they aren't supposed to, chances are they will be fine but not feel well for awhile. They also take medication to prevent issues, whereas children with nut allergies cannot prevent (other than avoidance), but only treat when it happens.

A small inconvenience for your child can literally be the difference between life and death for mine.

I do hope you never have to experience the fear of having a child with such a serious life threatening allergy in order to understand this all. Us parents of kids with allergies DO appreciate when the community is helping to look out for our children --- as you would be if it were your child.
I totally agree, also. It's nothing like diabetes or other illnesses that I've heard people compare it to. I guess my issue is the lack of compassion people have nowadays. This is a CHILD we are talking about, ya know?

Originally Posted by KMH View Post
I heard about a school that makes every kid scrub their hands and rinse out their mouth every morning when they come to school and again after lunch because they have a child that is severely allergic to nuts. Can you imagine 30 Kindergartners or First Graders having to go scrub their hands and rinse their mouths, with a teacher's supervision, twice a day? How much time does that take away from learning? I feel horrible for those parents and kids, but at some point don't you have to do what is best for 29 kids and not 1?

It is a tough issue, for sure. Like Jinnah said, they are coming up with more ways to help kids with allergies thru desensitization, etc. Maybe someday severe allergies will become a thing of the past!
I think it will be a thing of the past, one day. Well, at least for children old enough to go through the desensitization (they have to be of school age).

Jesus loving, SAHM to five children.
Reply With Quote