View Single Post
October 14th, 2013, 10:14 PM
SkyBaby SkyBaby is offline
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 4,398
He is sort of "supportive" of my attempting a vbac, in the sense that he is at least willing to let me try again. This is where he started to confuse me a little. I was just in to see him today for a regular prenatal and I just wanted to fact check what he was telling me. He was telling me that between 24 and 28 weeks, the csection is generally scheduled if that's the birth the mother chooses, so my next appointment, 4 weeks from today, I have to make a decision one way or the other on my next appointment.

He was telling me how 39 weeks is typically kind of the "sweet spot" health wise because he thinks the risk of uterine rupture and other complications increases in general if the mom doesn't have her scheduled csection until 40 weeks, as in right on the due date. He continued to say how much safer it is to have the scheduled csection at 39 weeks instead of waiting the full 40 weeks.

My feelings on this are pretty much I feel like 39 weeks is kind of jumping the gun. I kind of feel 40 would be the better option for me, psychologically especially. I feel like waiting would give me the best odds at having my vbac. What if I go into labor naturally at 39 weeks 4 days or something?

I was starting to get really nervous talking about it during the appointment and was very relieved when my OB told me after seeing me get the deer in headlights look that I didn't need to make a decision right then.

I could also see with all of the OB's talk of csection at 39 weeks being the "safest option" that he was starting to sway DH, too. I was too nervous to bring it up on the 45 minute drive home so we haven't talked yet, but I know what he's going to say. He is very medically oriented, given his own medical background and sees birth as a medical thing in general and not as a natural process. He is supportive of me laboring on my own first if I do go into labor after I showed him the amount of risk we're dealing with. He wasn't at first, but the data changed his mind.

What are your thoughts on this? I've read all the stickied articles and studies and data on this board, and I'll admit what my OB was saying did seem to be consistent with what I had read, but I'm not sure if he was trying to word it so I would just choose the csection or if he was being entirely honest.

If you read through my jumbled thoughts, God bless you, but if you want to skip all all that, my point is, suck it up and schedule the csection at 39 weeks and just hope I go into labor naturally a little before then, or give my body and my baby a little more time and schedule at my due date at 40 weeks? Is there really an increased risk of rupture and other complications if I choose to wait to the full 40 weeks?
Mom to a 2 year old baby girl, 2 week old baby boy, and one in Heaven.

In loving memory of our angel baby, with us for 4 weeks. Baby went to be with God July 24th, 2009.

Last edited by SkyBaby; October 14th, 2013 at 10:17 PM.
Reply With Quote