View Single Post
January 5th, 2014, 09:22 PM
Boos Moo's Avatar
Boos Moo Boos Moo is offline
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 4,249
So today I took my medicine before lunch (I'm 99% sure I did). Ate a small lunch, some cut up apple and cut up cheese and some crystal light. A little bit later I started feeling sleepy so I went to the couch to watch DD work on her computer work and took a nap. About an hour later I woke up and went to the bathroom. I was walking slow and feeling sleepy still. On the way back I put my sweater on and came to sit at the computer. Right away I stared feeling nauseated, light headed, and started sweating. I went to take off my sweater and thought I was going to faint. I got my sweater off and checked my blood sugar (thought it might be high). It was 53, low. Especially for me, anything below 65 and I start feeling sick. So I have some preggie pops still here by the computer and popped one in, still feeling faint I also have some trail mix here by the computer and I fished out some of the chocolate chips. Ate about 8 of them, started sucking on the preggie pop again and took my blood sugar again. It was up to 67, but I was still feeling really dizzy. We don't have sugar soda or OJ in the house so I had DD get me a tangerine so I could suck the juice out of it. I've heard if your blood sugar is low candy, soda, or OJ can get it back up quickly. It got to 97. Started feeling better for a few minutes, then the sweating and dizziness came back, it was back down to 67. I was starting to freak out, plus feeling like I was going to pass out, and thinking I was going to have to have DS take me to the hospital (luckily he was home). Asked DD to go get me some chocolate from DH's holiday box of candy. Got my number up to the mid 80's, but it went back down. So I called L&D and spoke to a nurse. She told me to eat some peanut butter and saltine crackers (luckily I had oyster crackers in the house, otherwise I just have whole grain, high fiber, low carb crackers), and drink a cup of milk. So I did that, started feeling better and my number was up to 97, and fifteen mins later it was 111. That was all between 4:30 and 5:30 and I've been feeling fine since - thank goodness.
And when I first woke up baby girl must have still been sleeping so she wasn't moving and of course that freaked me out since I was feeling so yucky. But as I was calling the nurse she started moving (must have been the chocolate), and now she's been doing cartwheels I think.
I think I must not have eaten enough after taking my medicine. Regulating blood sugar is hard. Finding what I can eat, how much, when, with/without medicine, etc. And then each week it seems to change. My old doctor told me that would happen since my hormones affect sugar more the further along I am. I keep a log of all I eat so I know what foods work, and what doesn't each week.
I'm just glad I didn't have to go to the hospital.
Sorry for the longness of this post.

*update - my new doctor got the email from the nurse I email my numbers to each week and called me (she didn't realize we have an appointment tomorrow). She wants to go ahead and put me on insulin. I've never been on it before so I really don't know what to expect. I will find out tomorrow what dose, how often, all that. My darn fasting numbers are just all over the place and more often than not they are higher than they'd like (but really not by much - sigh). My meal numbers are more often in the good range though. I'll update more tomorrow when I find out more.

Last edited by Boos Moo; January 6th, 2014 at 06:26 PM. Reason: Updating.
Reply With Quote