View Single Post
April 27th, 2007, 06:20 AM
cre8tivem cre8tivem is offline
Super Mommy
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 631
Thought I'd share my birth story:

I'm 21 years old, this was my first birth, I was due Feb 11. I had been uncomfortable for weeks! I'm 5'2" and I could hardly walk. I had a little bloody show on the morning of February 9 and I was restless all day. At 1 in the morning on Feb 10 I started to get contractions every 15 minutes. By 3:00 AM they were 5minutes apart. The Dr stopped by my house a 5:00 am and I was completely effaced and 1 cm. I had contractions every 5 minutes throughout the day. By 2 PM I was dilated to 4. I had planned on walking around a lot through the labor, but for some reason whenever I was upright I would end up vomiting. I wanted to stay hydrated, so I sipped water and lay on my side most of the time. The contractions got more intense through the afternoon, I had to breath and concentrate through each one. I kept telling myself, "this hasn't been so bad, I'm sure it will get worse." I got into the birthing tub at about 5:30, the warm water helped so much! I was able to let my muscles relax. At 7:30 or so the Dr arrived and checked me, I was at 10! I was so surprised, I had gone through Transition and hadn't even realized that was it. I got back into the tub and got on my knees and put my arms on the side of the tub (the greatest position!) I began pushing a little and Things started to get really intense and painful. The Dr tried to break my water to help lessen the pressure, but he couldn't ! the bag was too strong. My water finally broke around 8:15 and the baby began crowning. At this point I was planning on getting out of the water for the rest of the birth. But I got out and after one contraction I decided I was getting back in, there was that much of a difference. I was exhausted by now (no sleep the night before and no food) and pretty much sleeping in between contractions. My hubby was holding my head out of the water. It took forever for her head to crown! She was completely crowned for 1/2 hour. She wasn't budging. The Dr asked if I wanted to do a small episiotomy. I was so close to delivery I wanted to keep trying. When her head came, her whole head and body shot out of me into the water with one contraction. I pulled her up out of the water and sat in the pool and held her. Even though she was breathing fine, she didn't cry, she just looked at me and blinked and then stuck her tongue out at me. After a little bit my husband held her skin to skin and I got out of the tub to deliver the placenta.

Ladies, if your considering Natural birth, Know that it is all worth it at that moment. I still tear up just thinking about it! Giving birth was the most empowering thing I have ever done. We found out the reason her head took so long to crown was because her head was cocked to the side a little. She had a lump slightly to the right on top of her cone head. We named her Maria Joy, She weighed 8 pounds 12 ounces and was 22 inches long! I did it with no drugs or interventions. I needed 2 stitches.

I would definitely recommend water birth to anyone!

Reply With Quote