View Single Post
June 4th, 2007, 06:26 PM
TygerLily TygerLily is offline
Super Mommy
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 846
On Friday I went into L&D because a capilary burst and I was having some scary bright red bleeding. I found out that I was in prelabor and 2 cm dialated. The nurse told me that it could last anywhere from 3 to 4 days to 3 weeks... Thanks for narrowing that down for me... After that I went to a regular ob appt, and when I asked my dr when he thought I might have the baby he told my, "I think you'll have her by the end of the weekend." Obviously he couldn't promise me anything, but I took his word for it and told my boss I was done working.

I continued to have contractions all day and they continued to get worse as the night went on. They were mostly in my back so I thought that most of the pain was round ligiment. Apperantely I was wrong. I went to bed at 10 and tried to get some sleep, but I couldn't sleep through the back pain. I was thinking about getting up and taking a hot shower to ease the pain when I felt a weird pop and suddenly my legs were soaking, and my favorite sheets were covered with fluid. I turned to my dh and said that I thought my water had broken. He was sleeping and apperantly what I said hadn't registered cause he said, "that's good babe". and went back to sleep. As soon as my water had broken my contractions hit me out of nowhere. They were strong and about every 3 minutes. I called the hospital to let them know we were coming and after a quick shower we were on our way to L&D.

I was planning a natural birth, but I totally wussed out. All of my labor was in my back and no matter what I did I could not relax at all. So while I was still in triage when the nurse asked me what I was planning on doing for pain right away I said, " oh I'm having the epi!" I was admitted and they administered the epi at 5:30. I was 5 cm dialated at that point and quite moody!!!

After the epi my contractions disappered!!! It was wonderful!!! I'm not regreting not going natural at all!!! I could still feel Ivy moving through the epi which was really weird, but very comforting!!! The only real discomfort I had before I started pushing was from my cathetar, there was sooo much pressure on it from me dialating and Ivy's head that I felt like I needed to pee until they took it out!

I was dialating pretty fast and when they checked me at 8:30 I was fully dialated. I started pushing at 8:50 and that was definitely the hardest part of my labor. I have a really small pelvis and Ivy is a big girl, so my dr had a c section in the back of his mind from the start of my labor. I was making slow progress, and was very tired, I'd been awake since 7 on Friday. But I was making progress and that made me happy. I was pushing as hard as I could and getting tired very quickly. I was resting every other contraction for the baby, but my body was making me push even though I was trying not to. When my dr came in he told me that we needed to get the baby further out so that we wouldn't have to do a c section, but at that point I wasn't thinking clearly and just wanted Ivy OUT!!! I told him that I would try to push her out but that I was tired, and just getting very fed up. At that point I didn't care whether I had a c section!!! Then all of the sudden, as they were getting ready for the c section (I was already shaved!) Ivy decided to come out!!! I was bearing down like I hadn't had an urge to do so all morning! My dr looked down and all of the sudden told the nurse not to give me any more epi, cause we were about to have the baby!!! I push 3 more times and Ivy's head was out!!! My dr led my hand down to feel her and that was all I needed to get her shoulders out!!! Unfortunately I tore and had an epesiotomy, but I had my baby!!! I didn't care about anything else in the world at that moment! They placed her on my chest immidiately (she had a short cord and the dr had to cut it right away so unfortunately dh didn't get to do it). As soon as I saw her I was completely in love! My placenta came out right away, and I hardly remember even pushing for it. I was just so enthralled with the baby, who was being cleaned under the heat lamp. My dh was watching everything and we were both crying. I don't remember getting the 37 stitches that I got, I just remember hearing her cry and watching her move. She was, and is, the most beautiful thing I've ever seen. She scored perfectly on the apgar, even though she had a total cone head, and we spent close to 2 and a half hours in the delivery room before they took her to the nursery. I haven't slept more than 5 hours since I gave birth, but I don't care, cause I feel so blessed!!! I can't wait for the rest of my life with my family!!!

Reply With Quote