View Single Post
September 21st, 2007, 11:22 AM
jhmomofmany's Avatar
jhmomofmany jhmomofmany is offline
Look! A Dancing Banana!
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Upper Michigan
Posts: 14,600
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
At about 11:00 Tuesday night I began having regular contractions. They were lasting only about 30-45 seconds and came with a lot of bottom pressure, they were 15 minutes apart and didn’t feel particularly strong. So, we went to bed. I had to get right back up to use the bathroom, and decided to sleep on the couch so I wouldn’t be waking Chuck up every time I needed to get up. I slept very well in between bathroom trips.

Sometime after 3:00 I had a loose b.m. and bloody show. I called my midwife and let her know; she said she would get her things together, and to call her back when the contractions were five minutes apart. I woke up Chuck and we timed the next few contractions; we realized they were already coming two to three minutes apart! Chuck called the midwife, then I went back to the bathroom. This was about 4:00. When I had a few contractions one after another, Chuck told me I better get off the toilet. He got some things out of the bathroom while I went back to our bedroom. I didn’t want to get on the bed, so I put some pads down on the floor at the foot of the bed. I had my first “pushy” contraction standing over the pads. I was very hot all of a sudden so I stripped off my nightshirt. I went down on my knees, supporting myself with my arms against the bed.

I told Chuck that I was feeling like pushing, and he told me he knew and it was okay. He started to massage my perineum with almond oil as my bag of water bulged and then broke. With the next contraction, baby began to crown. After that contraction ended, though, she slipped back up! That hurt, but it made me laugh, and I said, “That’s the wrong way!” She crowned again during the next contraction and her head was delivered. While I pushed with the next contraction, he noticed the cord was wrapped once around her neck and that there was a knot in it. I think that scared him because he told me to “hurry and push”. So I did. With that fourth push, she was born!

Chuck passed her to me, and I said, “It’s a girl!” I’m not sure if she cried louder or if I did, and we knew she was just fine from her color and her volume. We forgot to have a towel handy, so we used a couple of cloth diapers to wipe her off. We named her, and then Chuck gave her an anointing and his blessing. He took her first picture. Then we realized we didn’t look at the time when she was born! When I reminded him that the clock in our room was probably wrong anyway, Chuck said that 4:23 was good enough. He helped me stand up; I delivered the placenta, and he clamped and cut her cord. At about 4:40 the midwife called to let us know she was almost there, and I could hear her laugh over the phone when Chuck said the baby had already been born.

By the time they arrived, I was already somewhat cleaned up and sitting in bed, giving Mary her first feeding. Mary and I both checked out perfectly. The midwife asked to keep the placenta, because true knots in the cord are so rare. She told us that they can only be formed early in pregnancy, while Baby still has lots of room to move. We are very thankful that it never pulled tight, even during delivery. God was certainly looking out for our little girl.
~Jennifer, wife of one, mother of many

Robert: 20 Raechel: 18 Daniel: 15 Joseph: 13 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 7 Lucy Marie: 5 John Anthony: 2 AND Baby due Dec. 2015

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w); Francis (7-4-12 @12w); Charlie (1-19-15 @ 6w)

Congratulations Raechel and Kaleb, married May, 2015

Reply With Quote