View Single Post
October 10th, 2007, 09:26 PM
*Sharon*'s Avatar
*Sharon* *Sharon* is offline
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 35,717
Finn Gabriel's stats
Time of birth--5:06 PM (est)
Weight--7lbs 4.7 oz
Length--19.75 in
Head Circ--14.25 in (the first hat they tried to put on him was too

*If you only count from when the contractions started my labor was 1 hour and 6 minutes long and was about 10 contractions in total.*

October 8th, 2007--I was scheduled to go in for an induction at 7 am. Why induction? Because I was GBS+ and I had fast labors in the past. The plan was to give me a dose of antibiotics, wait 4 hours, give me a second dose and break my water. And since I was 4cm dilated, 75+% effaced, and Finn's head was at +1 station the hope was that my labor would start *without* pitocin. Here is what actually happened:

7AM--arrive at hospital
8AM (appr)--1st dose of antibiotics started
8:30--about noon--sat on birthing ball,walked walls, and prayed that Finn's head would be in a good position, dh and I talked about whether to name him Finn Gabriel or Gabriel Finn. I joked that if he had lots of hair he would be Gabriel Finn and if he had just a little he would be Finn Gabriel.
12 noon--started my 2nd dose of the antibiotics
12:20PM--Dr. Hunter checked me. Finn was anterior!!! Yay! So she broke my water.
12:20-2:40PM--walked walls, bounced on birthing ball, visited with family for a while, and waited for labor to didn't
2:40PM--started pitocin and felt very discouraged with how things were going and the idea of a pit labor
2:40 to 4--rested because I was tired and wanted to be ready when labor did start
4:00--had a contraction!!!! Told the nurse and got out of bed. Finn was supposed to be monitored constantly, so the nurse put me on the monitor that would transmit it back so I could walk or do what I wanted. She also started my 3rd dose of the antibiotics. Note: My nurse's name was Aimee and she was fantastic. She listened to what I wanted very well and was encouraging. She told me that she only works one day/week and is a SAHM the rest of the time which I thought was very cool.
4:07--another contraction
4:12--3rd contraction
4:15 to 4:50--had about 5 contractions. I would take one lap down the hall and go back to my room and go potty. lol.
4:50 to about 4:55--while in the bathroom I had one LONG, HARD contraction and I knew things were happening fast
4:55--the LONG contraction ended and I went out to my room (the nurse was there). I told the nurse right when I came out that the pit needed to be turned quite a bit down. She turned it down immediately. I told her before another contraction started I wanted her to check me because I didn't think it was going to be much longer. I was 7-8. She said she was going to call for Dr. Hunter to come right away. I told Noah to call my parent's house and let them know to come now. Liz (my sis who was watching Belle & Ryllan) was there and I wanted the kids to be able to be there right after the birth.
4:57 to 5:00 PM--another long contraction in the bathroom on the toilet. I did not like those long contractions. They were very intense. I did the same thing though with Ry when I went from 7-10 in a couple of minutes.
5:00--Dr. Hunter arrives. My contraction ended just after she came in my room. I went out of the bathroom and have the nurse turn my pit down again. Dr. Hunter checked me. Complete!!!! I say it is time to turn off the pit and the nurse does. Dr. Hunter and the nurses (Aimee and one for Finn) started to get things ready. I waited for a contraction.
5:02--I pushed gently helping him down.
5:04 to 5:06--my mom arrived and quietly came in (she had already been in town only 2 minute from the hosp and soon as she heard it was baby time came right away). I got a contraction. I gave another gentle push. Then the pressure really got intense and I knew his head was crowning. The doc reminded me that it is more effective to push with a contraction. I stopped pushing for a second...contraction was still going...I pushed again a little harder. His head come out. Stopped for a few seconds and then pushed him the rest of the way out. In about 10 contractions all together from very first to the one he entered the world during. Finn was laid on my tummy. I helped wipe him a bit and cried with joy. He was so healthy and beautiful.
5:06 on--I don't know the times for the rest. But Noah cut the cord and I delivered the placenta and had a tiny tear (one stitch). I nursed Finn for a bit and he was weighed. Didn't physically feel like I had just had a baby...felt great. I had my mom go see if the kids had arrived yet. They had. Belle and Ryllan came in (they were in the room less than 10 minutes after Finn was born). They took turns holding him. They were totally and are totally in love with him. All Belle wants to do is hold him all the time. I had my mom, some of my sisters, dh, and the kids all in the room then. We were all so thrilled. Meanwhile, Aimee (my nurse) kept discreetly as possible adding more and more chux pads under me and I could feel that I was getting quite soaked with blood. After a while longer of heavy bleeding she quietly told me that I needed to have everyone leave so we could get the bleeding tended to better because I was losing a lot of blood. Within a couple of minutes I had given my kids kisses and everyone was out except for dh. I needed to get a shot in the tush to help stop the heavy bleeding. After a while longer the bleeding slowed down. I never felt faint or dizzy from the blood loss though at all.

Finn is a very content, alert baby. He could hold his head up pretty much right away. And is nursing fantastic. His newborn cloth diapers fit him great. We are just so elated to have him here with us now and to all be home! Our family feels complete!!!!

1st pic:


Sharon, wife to Noah; mom to Belle (13.75), Ryllan (11.5), Finn (7.5), and Zane (4).

Reply With Quote