Topic: Cooper Jayson
View Single Post
January 7th, 2008, 05:10 PM
nitwit's Avatar
nitwit nitwit is offline
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Suffolk, Virginia
Posts: 106
December 30th, 2007 my mother and I went to the mall to return some Christmas items. We walked a little bit and then went to Wal-Mart for some groceries. We came home and around 7:30pm that night I noticed my contractions were kind of stronger than I was used to. At 8:30pm that night I used the contraction timer online and timed them for an hour. They ranged anywhere from 2 to 5 minutes apart and were about 40 to 60 seconds apart. At 9:30 I started to debate with my mom about whether or not I should go to the hospital. It's about 30 minutes from the house. I had been in there about a week and half before with contractions exactly like the ones I was having only to have them stop the next morning. Finally we agreed to go ahead and if they sent me home they sent me home. We left our home at 10:10pm and arrived at the hospital at 10:40 or so.I called Jayson (dh) and he met us at the hospital. We went up to L&D and got into the system. The nurse took me straight into an actual delivery room rather than their triage room. I was hooked up to the monitors and she checked my cervix. She told me I was still at 3cm and 80% effaced but my bag of waters was bulging. She called the doctor who asked me to walk around the L&D department for an hour and see where I was. So I walked around and my contractions got even stronger. An hour later she checked me again and I was almost at 4cm, she said that with the next contraction she wouldn't be surprised if I went all the way to 4cm. She said she thought the doctor would keep me but she'd call to make sure. I started freaking out because it was becoming a reality that he was coming. They gave me an IV with some saline to keep my hydrated and let me chew ice chips. I was too excited to sleep and didn't doze off until probably 3am or 4am. Jayson went to sleep on the little couch and my mom slept at my side. At 6am the nurse came in and checked me again before her shift ended and I was still at 4cm and 80% effaced. At 8:30am the anesthesiologist came in to talk with me about my allergy to opiates and narcotics. She said I should be fine with an epidural and when I wanted one to call her. Then my doctor came in and checked me. I was at 5cm so she went ahead and broke my water. The nurse asked me if I wanted to go ahead and get the epidural. I said yes. At my hospital they don't allow non hospital personnel in the room when you receive the epidural so Jayson and my mom went downstairs. The epidural didn't hurt but the initial local anesthetic kind of burned. Once they were done and I was on my back again they gave me the Foley catheter and some pitocin. I only felt numb on my left side so they had me lay on my right to get it to flow over. By that time it was about 11am and I was starting to feel some pressure. I thought it was the Foley sitting weird but called the nurse in. She checked me and said she was going to get the other nurse to check me and left the room. She came back in by herself and checked me again. Then the other nurse came in and checked me. She told me to brace my foot against her and my mom held my other and had me push three times in a contraction. She then told the other nurse to get my doctor. At 11:45am the doctor came in and they began to set up. When I pushed I didn't know if I was pushing right or not and I couldn't tell when I was having a contraction. Jayson tried to hold my foot but his face turned really white so him and my mom switched places and he pushed my hair back and encouraged me. I pushed his head out and they told me to stop and breathe and the rest of his body slid out. While I was pushing I kept asking if he had hair and they kept saying a head full of dark hair. Once he came out I asked if he was a boy just to make sure. Jayson cut his cord and went over to the warmer. The rubbed him off and found out his hair was blond not dark. Jayson held him and handed him to me. Cooper Jayson was born at 12:15pm at 6.58lbs so they rounded it up to 6lbs 6oz. About an hour after he was born I tried to breast feed him but he was grunting a lot and the nurse looked at his chest and said he was breathing a little hard. So they took him to the nursery and I took a shower. After my shower I went to the mother baby unit. They kept him in the nursery until 8:30 pm that night. I did get to go into the nursery a couple of times to see him. They only had a monitor to watch his heart rate and pulse ox. It was all normal the whole time but they still had to watch him. But he's home now and doing wonderfully. He's not being breastfeed but he'd being fed breast milk and formula. Before we left the hospital he dropped from 6lbs oz to 5lbs 12oz but he's maintained it. He's gorgeous!!!!
<div align='center'></div>
Reply With Quote