View Single Post
January 25th, 2008, 08:42 PM
**Jenn**'s Avatar
**Jenn** **Jenn** is offline
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: May 2005
Location: NJ
Posts: 11,433
This is late getting posted here but I thought I'd share anyway. This is my second natural birth and hypnobirth. My first, Liam, was in a hospital (his birth story is here somewhere).

So I had my membranes stripped at my appt on Monday the 20th of August. I was kind of crampy all day but I really didn't think it was going to work so I didn't get my hopes up. However, at 1:15am I was woken up by a contraction. They weren't that close so I tried to lay down and get some sleep thinking it could be a while. That didn't last though as they quickly went to 5 minutes apart and were getting strong. So, at 2:30am I called the birth center, woke up dh, and we were on our way by 2:45. It was an hour and fifteen minute drive there in the pouring rain but it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. My Mom met us at the center around 4am and we got settled in our room. About 4:30 my IV of antibiotics for being gbs positive were started and I was 3 1/2cm and 75% effaced (the same as I had been for the past week at least). So we walked around a bit and at 5:30am I had to come back and sit in bed. I went into my zone to work with the back to back contractions. My Mom told me later she thought labor had stalled and that I was sleeping. I was dozing between contractions but I was pretty focused during them and doing my visualizations and breathing. At 6:45am I heard and felt a big pop and my water gushed out. Man was there a lot of fluid! LOL The midwife checked me again and I was about 5 1/2 cm. I figured this was going to take a lot longer than my first since I wasn't dilating as quickly so far. Boy was I wrong! Things got really intense at that point, much more so than Liam's labor, and I was soon to find out why. 40 minutes after my water broke I began pushing and about 10 minutes later out he came! My Mom held the mirror so I could see him being born which was so awesome! He kept turning his head from side to side as he crowned--not entirely comfy! He had the cord around his neck but it was loose and just fell around his body as the rest of him came out. So Lochlann arrived on his due date--8/21/07--at 7:35am and weighed in at 8 pounds 5 ounces and 20 3/4 inches long.

He did great and started nursing the first five minutes of his life. He was so alert and calm and handled his quick birth well. I however did not. They think my body went into a kind of shock and my blood pressure shot up and I was hemorrhaging. Thankfully, with a shot of meds in my thigh and pitocin through the IV and the midwife manually removing the huge clots (that I would have liked an epi for ), they got everything under control but apparently I lost a lot of blood and was minutes away from being transferred to the hospital. We're doing great now though I'm still anemic from all the blood loss and was pretty weak from it for a while but otherwise I felt great. His birth was such a wonderful experience though and I'd go through all that again in a heartbeat!

Then (about an hour old)

Now (with big brother Liam)
Our angel baby forever missed--1/3/03

Ailish Laura born October 20th, 2012.
8lbs 12oz and 20.75 inches

Reply With Quote