Topic: Caitlynn Rose
View Single Post
November 9th, 2005, 05:27 PM
Leslie=)'s Avatar
Leslie=) Leslie=) is offline
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 1,005
On Thursday, Nov 3 at my doc's appt, my doc and I decided to schedule an induction for the next morning, Friday, Nov 4 at 7am. That evening, I was very nervous and excited as my DH and I did all the last minute things to prepare for our new arrival. I knew I wouldn't be able to get much sleep, but I don't think I slept more than a few winks, because I started feeling really crummy with cramping and low back pain.

So, we got up early the next morning, and checked in at the hospital a little before 7am. I was directed to my room immediately and was shortly in my hospital gown and hooked up to the monitors. Even before the pitocin was started, the monitor was registering contractions, which I had thought was just cramping. The IVs were started and I really didn't feel any different, even by the time my doc showed up later in the morning to check me. When she did the internal, she stripped my membranes which immediately broke my water, ew, that was a really gross feeling! Almost immediately after that, my contractions got extremely harder and more painful.

After about an hour of hard contractions, I got my epidural. It was really a diificult process to get the epidural while I was having contractions, OUCH! So, I spent the next several hours watching the contractions come and go on the monitors. I could also feel the contractions a lot of the time on my left side, they had to keep giving me boosters. I didn't progress very quickly for a while because they had to keep turning down the pitocin because the baby's heartbeat would decel periodically. It took forever to go from 2cm to 4cm.

At about 4pm when I had my internal, I had rapidly dilated to 8cm! I could tell the contractions were getting more intense because I could feel them through the epidural. At about 4:30pm I felt something slide down way low in the birth canal accompanied by a flow of fluid. When I was checked at 5pm, I was fully dilated and ready to push. After pushing through the first contraction, the nurse got really agitated and called for the doctor to come immediately, the baby was almost out! Fortunately, my doc's office is right across the street, or she wouldn't have made it! As soon as the doctor arrived and got suited up, I pushed through one contraction, and out the baby came!

She was born on Friday, Nov 4 at 5:21pm weighing 6lb8oz and measuring 19.5 inches and scoring 9-9 on her Apgar. I did not tear or have an episiotomy, but I did have some internal tearing that required stitching. All in all, I can't complain, I think I was very fortunate to have a relatively normal labor and delivery, especially since I was induced. And it was worth everything I went through and more, because now I have my precious angel with me, and she is a true blessing to mine and my DH's lives.
Reply With Quote