JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (https://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   assisted birth stories (https://www.justmommies.com/forums/f360-assisted-birth-stories/)
-   -   Baby Benjamin's Homebirth! (https://www.justmommies.com/forums/f360-assisted-birth-stories/1780150-baby-benjamins-homebirth.html)

catherineclare November 21st, 2009 01:12 PM

Baby Benjamin's Homebirth!
Baby Benjamin's Homebirth
It all started the morning of Monday October 5th. I had my 40 week 1 day appointment with my midwife that morning and was eager to see if I had made any progress. I wasn't dilated or effaced at my last 2 appts which was fine by me because I was really hoping my body held off until my Mom could make it to town! So, as I was getting ready that morning my mucous plug came out. I headed over to my midwife's office and she checked me and I was still not dilated, nor was I effaced, but she said I was very soft. She made me an appt for the next Monday, but I told her she would see me before then because I was not gonna be there, we'd have a baby by then! As the day wore on I started getting very annoyed that she really thought she was going to see me the following week. I knew I was being completely irrational, but I was still ticked off. That evening my family and I ventured out to Macaroni Grill so I could order their eggplant parmigiana. I was too lazy to make the recipe I found online and figured I might as well give it a shot. I should have known something was up because I snapped at the hostess, snapped at the waiter and was basically in a very crabby mood all through dinner! My hubby and Mom were laughing at me because I was being so ridiculous. Half way through my meal I started having some Braxton Hicks, but they didn't hurt...they were more just like a tightening and I honestly didn't think they were anything to get excited about.

After we got home a couple of hours later and after the contrax ceased I started having bloody show. I decided to hang out downstairs while everyone went to bed because I knew I would be in the bathroom every few minutes. I decided to clean the kitchen, but had to stop because contrax started again except these hurt and I had to stop and breathe through them, but there was no pattern. I sat on the couch and closed my eyes...about 30 minutes later I felt a pop and my eyes flew open! I jumped up expecting a gush, but it didn't happen so I just flew to the bathroom. More bloody show and some water. I told my mom and my hubby and they both said 'Ok...let me know if you need me'. then they went back to sleep! I went back downstairs and labored on the couch by myself thru the night. I timed the contrax, but there was never any pattern. They hurt, but were bearable. The next morning they started to let up, but then around 7:30 came back with a vengeance. I called my midwife and told her what had been happening and she wanted me to meet her assistant at the office. I showered and thru the shower they started to come about every 4 minutes or so. My hubby called her back and told her there was no way I could make it to the office...I was contracting about every 4-5 minutes and was leaking water. So, they said they would be right there and this is where the real fun began!

My midwives arrived at my home around 9:30am. They checked me right away and I was at 3cm and 95% effaced...they were able to stretch me to 6cm. I then jumped in the shower to do nipple stimulation. When I got out they checked me again and I had shrunk back down to 3cm...we then had to figure out what the problem was. They discovered I had a cervical lip so my lead midwife started to work with that. She then had me go sit on the toilet through 6 good contrax. This hurt so bad to sit on the toilet! I got out and was still at 3cm and just not progressing. The baby's head wasn't engaged so she had to figure out why he was not descending. She had me on my back for awhile stretching me through contrax and I just remember begging to get in the water because I had planned a waterbirth. She kept lying to me saying 'I'll let you get in the water after one more contraction'...but she just kept me on the bed saying she didn't want labor to stall. I guess she must have figured out what was going on because she had me get up and lean over the crib (we have it in our bedroom). While I leaned over she literally had her hand up moving my cervical lip and moving the baby's hand. His little hand by his head was preventing him from descending. The pain while she was moving things around was the worst I have ever felt and I believe the only time I really made loud noise during the labor. As soon as she was able to move the lip and hand I dilated to 10cm within a matter of minutes! Then I was finally able to get in the water...ah...sweet relief...so I thought. She had me up holding onto my hubby while I was pushing...of course because of the lip that would not stay back her hand had to be in there while I was pushing. Then she had me get in the water so we could get this baby out. The baby kept bobbing up and down and wouldn't fully descend. I was able to get the head out (with her hand in there still) and as soon as I pushed the head out she started repeating firmly over and over 'Get out of the water onto the bed...get out of the water...get out of the water.'. I had seen enough natural births online to know that this was not good and something was up. My hubby helped me get out of the birthing pool with just the baby's head delivered. I got on the bed and my lead midwife started having me push then discovering that the baby's shoulder was stuck! Good grief...in my head I was thinking 'Great...cervical lip, hand by head and now shoulder dystocia???' They had my mom hold my leg up weird and my lead midwife yelled for her assistant to help her pull this baby out. Next thing I know out pops the baby and they lay him on my chest yet he is purple and not crying. Inside I am freaking out, but not saying anything. My midwives were so cool you never would have guessed anything was wrong. They handed me a little oxygen thing to put over the baby's mouth and nose and after about 4 minutes he started to pink right up...then he started to cry. Music to my ears! My little Ben came into this world at 11:34am on October 6th in our bedroom with his Daddy, big brother and grandma watching. Exactly 2 hours and 4 minutes after my midwives arrived.

Everyone was surprised that he was a healthy 8lbs. 4oz because from feeling my belly he didn't feel that big. Just shows you babies will surprise you. I asked my midwives if I had shoulder dystocia and they said it was more just stuck shoulder, not full dystocia.. His cord was also wrapped around his neck 2 times. We have a very high rate of csections in this city so I am sure if I had been in a hospital I would have just been sent in for a cection and been labled failure to progress. The baby would not descend due to the fact his hand was by his head and his cord being around his neck...he kept bobbing up and down, and the cervical lip would not stay back. Instead I had a fabulous midwife that knew exactly what to do and allowed me to deliver very quickly and safely. She knew that I would dilate within minutes if those barriers could just be removed. The reason I had to jump out of the pool was because as soon as I had the head out she saw the cord and he was already purple she didn't wanting him taking his first breath under the water. There were definitely a few moments that were very scary, but my midwives acted swiftly and took care of the situation. Even though the baby then got stuck I managed to not have any tears...like she said while I was pushing 'there will be no tears on my watch!' and there weren't.

After the midwives left I was able to just lay in bed with my baby. I was tired from not sleeping the night before, but overall felt wonderful. Within about an hour and a half I was up and sitting on my couch. I cannot say enough about delivering naturally! Yes, it hurt, but the contrax were no where near as painful as the pitocin contrax I had with my first son. And once the baby was out, the pain was gone. I had done the Hypnobabies program and had planned on using it during my labor, but everything happened so fast and with the complications I didn't even have time to get in the zone! Quite honestly looking back I'm glad I wasn't able to use it...I'm happy that I felt everything. My recovery was wonderful...no tears and amazingly enough after the baby getting stuck and everything else I didn't have any swelling. Overall it was possibly the most amazing experience of my life!

Thank you for letting me share:)

~*Bethy*~ November 21st, 2009 02:22 PM

Re: Baby Benjamin's Homebirth!
thank you for sharing!

WishingStar November 23rd, 2009 08:24 AM

Re: Baby Benjamin's Homebirth!
Glad everything turned out fine. Congratulations!

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:27 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright © 2003-2012 JustMommies.com, All Rights Reserved.