JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (https://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   assisted birth stories (https://www.justmommies.com/forums/f360-assisted-birth-stories/)
-   -   My First Home Birth...it was lovely (https://www.justmommies.com/forums/f360-assisted-birth-stories/2181184-my-first-home-birth-lovely.html)

mommythinks December 5th, 2010 07:34 PM

My First Home Birth...it was lovely
Here's my birth story...I've wanted to write it down, so thanks for reading. So it all started at 4:30 in the morning on April 6 with my water breaking. I lying in bed and felt a pop, I ran to the bathroom to clean up and check if the fluid was clear (since it wasn't with Jaclynn and had to go into the hospital because of possible distress) and it was clear...Wahoo! Home Birth full steam ahead!
I was really really excited, since I had been having labour pains for last 3 days that came and went and were driving me crazy. I then woke up Jeff and said "My water just broke!" Jeff was pretty groggy, but was just as relieve!
I then called my midwife Beth and she asked all the questions like "is the fluid clear...is the baby moving...do you feel that the head is down. Everything seems to be fine in my midwife mind, so she told me to go back to bed and call her back when we got up in the morning.
So, I thought to myself...like I could go back to bed. I texted my mom and told her my water broke and the neat thing was, was that my mom was actually up going to the bathroom when she heard her phone...mother’s intuition.
I was starting to get contractions every 15 to 20 minutes, but my body knew that I had a lot of work ahead of me so I was able to stay in bed and sleep on and off until 7:30. Jaclynn was awake at that point, so we got up with her and I made her breakfast, while Jeff was on the phone, calling work and finding friends to take Jaclynn and Lucy (our dog) for the day. Contractions were getting more intense at this point, but very manageable. I called my midwife and said she could come over now. My midwife showed up while Jeff was out dropping off Jaclynn and Lucy.
I didn’t want to be checked a whole lot throughout the labouring process, but my midwife wanted to check me once to see where I was at. I was already 5cms! Jeff got home and I told him the great news. Beth got all her stuff set up on our bedroom (where we wanted to have the baby) while Jeff and I had some cereal and chatted and laughed about how normal, but weird this felt to be at home. It honestly felt like a regular day at home that we were going to have a baby...no big deal you know?
So when you are at home you are not hooked up to a monitor, so the midwife comes and checks the baby’s heart beat every 15mins. While I was eating my cereal she was listening to the baby’s heart beat during a contraction and we heard the baby’s heart beat slow down after the contraction. This didn’t happen with every contraction, so Beth wasn’t too worried, but that we would keep an eye on it.
It happened a few more times and Beth asked if she could check me again to make sure the cord wasn’t beside the head getting pinched or something like that. So as we were heading upstairs to our bedroom, I prayed and felt peace that God was taking care of this issue. She checked me and I was 7cms and there was no cord or anything...this examine was very uncomfortable, but afterward that slowing down of the heart beat stopped, so maybe it was worth it. Beth said that it could have been the baby turning into position (moving from posterior to Anterior) Beth then called another senior midwife to ask about the late decels in the heart beat and she got heck for checking the heart beat during a contraction. So no more examines from here on out, everything was fine, Beth could stop worrying.
Beth returned to her “fly on the wall” position downstairs while Jeff and I hung out upstairs in our bedroom or in the bathroom...laughing and relaxing. I didn’t feel that I needed to labour in the tub this time like I had with Jaclynn. Contractions were so manageable...the intensity was only lasting for 30 to 45 seconds. I even chatted on the phone with my mom during one figuring out flights and all that. Pretty cool I thought.
I went the Bathroom again (my body was clearing things out) and contractions were demanding a little more of my attention now. I was really surprised to feel the feelings of transition just around the corner. Beth came up to have a listen again and told me to tell her when she should call the 2nd midwife, who comes for the birth. I told her that I was getting to the point that I didn’t want to do this anymore (transition)...it was becoming hard work...a lot of focus. So Beth called the 2nd midwife to make her way over.
Kathy the 2nd midwife showed up at 10:30 while we were all upstairs trying to figure out the best position. Right now I was kneeing by the bed swaying my hips. I decided to climb up on the bed and tried leaning against pillows or an exercise ball, but this position just didn’t feel effective. So I got on my knees again and leaned over the ball. This was really effective (got that baby moving down). I could really feel my progress. Kathy and Beth were wondering if I was 10cms yet, by how I was acting and moving, but I told them that I could still feel a lip of my cervix, so I probably was close, but not quite yet. One contraction later, the lip was gone and I could feel the head descending. With Jaclynn being my first I didn’t know what I was feeling, but this time I could, which was pretty cool.
Now the really hard work...pushing. This happened really fast, once the last lip was out of the way. I was now on my hands and knees with Beth, Kathy and Jeff watching the process behind me. I wasn’t too pleased with everyone staring at my backside, but it was all about the most effective position and this was it...I knew this before labour, that this position was good for my body to feel open and relaxed.
As I was saying I could feel the baby’s head moving down. When I felt the baby’s head crowning, my body needed a little bit of a rest at this point. It was good timing because Beth had just place a hot compress on the area that felt great and helped the skin and muscles relax a little. After the short pause I gave 2 final pushes and out came Travis Jeffrey into Jeff’s waiting hands at 11:48am. Jeff then passed him under to my waiting hands and I sat up on my knees to have a look at my lovely. I was in awe! I was finally holding my baby boy and we did this all at home. We had our baby at home in our bed...where it all began. I couldn’t help but think, “This is how childbirth is meant to happen”. Praise God!

sugary~snails December 6th, 2010 06:10 AM

Re: My First Home Birth...it was lovely

lulu2 December 16th, 2010 06:53 AM

Re: My First Home Birth...it was lovely
wonderful, thanks for sharing!

lovemama December 29th, 2010 06:36 AM

Re: My First Home Birth...it was lovely
Awesome story! What an amazing birth. Congrats!!

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:00 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright © 2003-2012 JustMommies.com, All Rights Reserved.