JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (https://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   assisted birth stories (https://www.justmommies.com/forums/f360-assisted-birth-stories/)
-   -   Logan Daniel (https://www.justmommies.com/forums/f360-assisted-birth-stories/932461-logan-daniel.html)

ShawnaCAN February 15th, 2008 10:57 AM

Logan Daniel
Born February 14th, 2008
10lbs, 21 inches

I started having mild, but regular contractions on Tuesday morning, so we called our midwife and the kids went to my in-laws. The contractions went all day and then faded out. Same on Wednesday. On Wednesday, we went to the mall to see if walking wouldn't help things along. We also took advantage of the fact that we had no kids with us and went out for lunch, to celebrate Valentine's Day. I was 3cm and 80% effaced.

On Valentine's Day, the contractions seemed a bit stronger than they'd been before, but weren't really progressing. I made a special breakfast for DH and after my shower, I found some chocolates and a card on my pillow. It was a nice quiet morning for us alone. In the afternoon, DH decided to go check on the kids at his Mom and Dad's, and spend the afternoon with them so his Mom could go get some work done at the office. We agreed that he'd stay until supper time and if nothing was happening, the kids would come home again. If things were picking him, he'd come back without them. Since I've done a lot of this starting and stopping with my last two home births, my midwife was prepared to wait it out with me.

I remembered that I had a bit of castor oil left from my last birth. I wasn't overdue yet, so I didn't want to try too hard to force labour if my body just wasn't ready - but I figured if I'd already been having contractions for 3 days, maybe I just needed a little help to kick things into high gear. I took about 2 Tbsp. What's the worst that could happen? I'd get the runs. Oh well, it was worth a shot. About an hour later I was having hard contractions. I was still scared that they would just stop again and I wanted to make really sure that it was for real before I told DH to come back without the kids. By 5pm I phoned him and said it was time to come back. I was in pain! I laboured in the bathtub while I waited for him to drive the hour back home. When DH arrived, he got to work filling the birth pool while I wandered around the house, moaning and rocking through contractions when they hit. Standing seemed to offer the most relief, sitting or lying down made it really painful. Finally my birth pool was full of nice warm water and that felt really good. Contractions got a lot harder after I got in and were coming faster. By 7:30pm, I still figured I had several hours to go - but judging by the sounds I was making, both the midwife and DH knew I was getting close. The midwife offered to check me, but I was scared she would tell me that after all that pain I was only 4cm or something! So I declined. I felt some pressure during 2 or 3 contractions and was in a lot of pain. Our midwife said she could try something that might help, but I'd have to go from my sitting position onto my knees so she could put pressure on my pelvis from behind. Just like my last birth, that change in position was all it took and with the very next contraction I pushed him out! There was some screaming. Oh, and then the baby started to cry too. It was 8pm on the dot, DH could hear the chimes from our clock ringing. Even after Logan was out I couldn't believe it was really over! I nursed him right away in the pool to help with the delivery of the placenta, but he wasn't overly cooperative - too busy screaming. DH used the opportunity to start phoning our parents, so they could hear their new grandson over the phone. Then I had a nice warm shower and crawled into bed with Logan. Then he was much more interested in nursing, so he did that for quite awhile. When he was finished, the midwife checked us both over and I made her show me the scale to see that he was really 10lbs! DH and the midwife drained the pool and cleaned everything up. DH was quite impressed that by 10pm we were all settled in the living room having some supper that his Oma brought over earlier in the day, and he didn't even have to miss Lost! Couldn't have asked for it to go any better!

wifey2kevin February 15th, 2008 01:53 PM

beautiful beautiful story shawna!!!

tinafrank February 15th, 2008 02:14 PM

Kristin added a link for all of us in the Nov '06 PR. It sounds like a perfect & wonderful birth! :) Glad that it all went so smoothly. Congratulations, Momma!

asianyoushi February 15th, 2008 02:20 PM

congrats wonderful home birth

TwoSweetGirls February 15th, 2008 02:31 PM

Yay Shawna. Welcome home Logan!

Mommy2Amara&Kayori February 15th, 2008 02:47 PM

sounds like you had a great birth Shawna, congrats

4boys February 15th, 2008 02:52 PM

Awesome story, Shawna!! Congrats on your little boy!

Madylyn February 15th, 2008 03:45 PM

lol just another day at your house huh? Great story, I really enjoyed it and congrats!!

Alison79 February 15th, 2008 04:14 PM

What a beautiful birth story. I love that you could hear the clock chimes ringing. Congratulations on your new son!

momof4byz February 15th, 2008 04:47 PM

Big congrats Shawna! What a perfect birth story! Thanks for sharing! Hope to see you around more soon!

Twinkle February 15th, 2008 05:30 PM


Keok February 16th, 2008 12:00 PM

Congrats!! Sounds like a wonderful birth!!

Jessica_ February 16th, 2008 01:05 PM

amazing story!!! :wub: Welcome Logan!

ragmama February 17th, 2008 12:18 AM

Congratulations again, Shawna - sounds like a wonderful birth! :D

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:56 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright © 2003-2012 JustMommies.com, All Rights Reserved.