JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (https://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Breastfeeding Past One Year (https://www.justmommies.com/forums/f344-breastfeeding-past-one-year/)
-   -   Introduction and a question (https://www.justmommies.com/forums/f344-breastfeeding-past-one-year/2629302-introduction-and-question.html)

bmarti07 February 25th, 2013 06:09 PM

Introduction and a question

Hi ladies,

I'm Beverly and have perused the boards from time to time. I am currently bf'ing my 14 month old son. I breastfed my daughter until she was 16 months old and I got pregnant with my son. My son does not drink well from the cup. As far as bf'ing I am sort of not offering/not refusing. He can drink from the cup but doesn't like it. He also has a milk protein allergy. He cannot have any milk products. I give him rice milk in his cup which of course he takes a few sips and throws it down. Today at the sitter's he only took a couple of sips of water. Because of the milk protein allergy, I am also on a dairy-free diet and have been since he was 10 days old. It really sucks. When I have tried to reintroduce dairy into my diet he breaks out in hives....still. So, I am wanting to wean...but I feel bad doing that because he's not drinking well from the cup. What would you do?

Second question....I guess is more for those with allergies, but it is about calcium. If you can't have dairy products how do I ensure he's getting enough calcium??? I've asked his pedi and they're not concerned...but I am...especially since he doesn't take the enriched rice milk. Should I continue to breastfeed for the calcium factor???

miamor February 27th, 2013 11:32 AM

Re: Introduction and a question

have you tried almond milk? its rich in calcium also.
what kind of cups are you trying? tilt up sippies? straws? does he not like to drink anything from a cup or just milks?

Fluga March 3rd, 2013 03:59 PM

Re: Introduction and a question

There are a lot of food sources for calcium. I've been too lazy to look into it but should be easy enough to google. The message of milk for calcium is so strong that most of us dont stop to think that there are other sources.

Lala78 April 2nd, 2013 11:50 AM

Coconut milk is higher in calcium than cows milk. And delicious!! We use a lot of vanilla coconut milk. Also, my new fave is chocolate coconut milk. Holy moly is that stuff delish!! I don't really give the choco to DD, just sharing my live for coconut. I even made some lattes with if recently, and they were awesome. So Your boy may like other things you just don't know bout yet. My kids don't really like soy or rice milks and I haven't given them almond. Experiment a bit. There are also foods and supplements to get calcium. Eating as healthy ifs diet as a little one can is a good start.