JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (https://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Breastfeeding (https://www.justmommies.com/forums/f30-breastfeeding/)
-   -   When to start pumping ? (https://www.justmommies.com/forums/f30-breastfeeding/2724769-when-to-start-pumping.html)

Sarah_K June 27th, 2014 01:16 PM

When to start pumping ?

When can I start pumping to freeze milk?When can baby girl start bottles with breast milk in them?

I want to bottle feed 2/3 times a day. Breast all other times.

ZoeChloeMommy July 9th, 2014 08:59 PM

You could start pumping whenever. They suggest waiting 6 weeks to introduce bottles, to avoid confusion.

andi2284 August 13th, 2014 07:23 AM

Re: When to start pumping ?

Wait until your supply is well established to begin pumping or using bottles. Both can affect your supply in the early days, if you aren't careful. 6 weeks is usually a good time frame to consider breastfeeding as well established.

When you give your daughter a bottle, don't forget to pump! You will need to pump anytime your baby has a bottle to keep your supply up.

deenamathew January 19th, 2016 01:48 AM

Some women who breastfeed start pumping soon after their baby is born to build up their milk supply if they’re not producing enough milk. As per the experts pumping and giving bottles too early will create nipple confusion.

RhiettaP February 25th, 2016 01:01 PM

With my older kids, I started pumping as soon as we got home from the hospital...would feed on one side and pump the other...that way I always had 2 full feeds per session....and then when I would bottle feed I would pump both sides.

kscott12 June 1st, 2016 11:35 AM

Start any time. My baby is a month old and I pump my milk 2 times a day.. A little bit of work but I am happy that I have my own milk for her.

nathanbault July 14th, 2016 04:22 AM

If you want to increase the amount of milk you are storing daily, pump half an hour after several feedings each day. Pump one breast while nursing on the other. This takes a little practice to get positioning just right, but the baby can enhance your let-down reflex. Turn the pump on before you begin feeding.

GamerMom November 16th, 2016 10:40 AM

I started to pump the day my son was born. Since he was early (37 weeks), I had to stay in the hospital for 6 days while he was in the NICU. They had me pump after every feeding from day one and that was every three hours, day and night. Now that I am home, I am pumping during the day after every feeding (between 3 to 4 hours) and just breastfeeding during the night. This system seems to work well for me!