JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (https://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Cesarean Section Birth (https://www.justmommies.com/forums/f239-cesarean-section-birth/)
-   -   When/how to schedule c/s (https://www.justmommies.com/forums/f239-cesarean-section-birth/2666074-when-how-to-schedule-c-s.html)

Funnybub July 16th, 2013 02:36 PM

When/how to schedule c/s

My first child was a c/s so I plan on scheduling a c/s for my next. I did have complications with my first and she was delivered a couple of weeks early, so I'm wondering how things normally happen.

I had read a while back that if you wait to go into labor, there's less chance the baby will have breathing issues and need to be in the NICU. It scares me to think of doing the c/s as an emergency but I would also like to do everything in my power to avoid another NICU stay.

I'm currently ttc so I have plenty of time to think about it but I'm curious. If you knew in advance it was going to be a c/s delivery, do you wait to go into labor or if you just scheduled it in advance, how many weeks were you at delivery?


KMH July 17th, 2013 06:21 PM

Re: When/how to schedule c/s
I knew my first would be a c-section because she was footling breech. My doc pushed me to schedule a c-section for 39 weeks, but I really wanted to go into labor on my own so I knew she was ready. I refused to schedule and just showed up in L&D when I went into labor. No big deal. We were admitted around 9:45pm dilated to 4cm, they did a quick u/s to verify that she was still breech, and she was born at 11:08pm. Her little cries sounded wet when she came out, but her breathing settled down after a bit. She was latched on to BF within 90 minutes.

For full disclosure, I went into labor at 37 weeks exactly, so none of it mattered. But, had I gotten further along, I still would have waited until baby was ready.

SWFLbaby July 18th, 2013 05:16 PM

Re: When/how to schedule c/s
My first child ended up in a c-section because my dilation was stalled at 4 cm for several hours ... after 39 hours of labor, it was time to get the baby out! So for my second child, she recommended scheduling the c-section in advance. We scheduled it several months ahead of time. I was 39 1/2 weeks. It was stress-free, and so much easier than my first!

bevyvuska August 11th, 2013 08:17 PM

Re: When/how to schedule c/s
We scheduled my C section a couple months ago for 38 weeks (due to my issues & us trying to avoid me going into labor or ending up in an emergent situation.) Otherwise, my doc would still have scheduled in the same time frame but for 39-40 wks

Empty arms August 20th, 2013 03:28 PM

Re: When/how to schedule c/s
I had mine at 38+1. My son passed due to respiratory distress 27hours later.
I will need another c-s this time, and they won't let me go over 39w... So that's it... I desperatly want labor to start before that....

HopefullyaLawMommy August 21st, 2013 07:17 PM

Re: When/how to schedule c/s
My DD was breach my entire pregnancy and a growth u/s at 35 weeks confirmed. I scheduled my C-Section that day for 39W4D. I felt more comfortable knowing that I had a date in case I didn't go into labor before. I live in a metropolitan area and delivered at a hospital where they have lots of deliveries everyday, so that was another reason for scheduling in advance.

mommyluneyburd September 4th, 2013 10:25 AM

Re: When/how to schedule c/s
My first section was an emergency, after being induced and laboring for 24 hrs my DD heart rate dropped. 2nd was scheduled and she was 39w6d (It was December and the Dr wanted to schedule it for the 23rd leaving me in the hospital for Christmas. I said NO WAY!My 3rd was scheduled at 37w and my 4th was at 39w. We didn't have any problems except for my oldest had severe jaundace.

WhoaMomma! February 2nd, 2014 12:20 PM

Re: When/how to schedule c/s
I attempted a VBAC with my 2nd baby and went into labor at 41w6d. She was born via emergency c/s at 42w1d after 58 hours of unproductive labor when her vitals started to crash.

With this baby I made the decision to schedule an elective surgery bc my placenta was in bad shape by the time I went into labor was dd#2. She was born with NO amniotic fluid even though my membranes were in tact and had signs of severe dehydration. I didn't want to risk that again. BUT I refused to scheduled prior to my due date because I don't believe in delivering babies prior to 40w without a medical reason. My OB was cool with that and we put in for 40w1d and 40w3d (still waiting for confirmation from the hospital on which one we get).

If I did not have a history of placenta degradation and postdates labor, I would opt to wait for labor to begin. As long as your membranes are in tact, it is usually better for the baby and also the uterine segment is thinner so the recovery is a little easier. HOWEVER I will caution you that it may be a fight with your OBs bc they're very afraid of the infection risk that comes with ruptured membranes. I'm one of those problem patients who would just not make an issue out of it and then refuse to show up for my scheduled c/s. At that point it's too late for them to do much about it bc they have to continue caring for you no matter what by law. Just make sure that if you aren't going to attempt a VBAC and your water does break, that you do NOT allow anyone to check your cervix. That is where the risk of infection comes from.

disneydiva76 February 7th, 2014 02:39 AM

Re: When/how to schedule c/s
My OB schedules at 39 weeks.

flitabout February 16th, 2014 11:07 AM

Re: When/how to schedule c/s
I have had 4 c/s and I would never choose one ever again if I had the choice. But After 4 I am terrified of a rupture if I go into labor. My second I was going for a vbac that never even got started because I had no fluid at 38 weeks. Man when I saw her I said I could have coughed her out she was so tiny as 5lb15oz. Number 3 I just scheduled at my first OB appointment. Number 4 well that was the fight from h*ll for a vbac that ended up in another failure and 40week c/s and my son had a massive breathing problem and ended up in the NICU. I knew he wasn't ready and nbody listened to me.
This is something I would really worry about with a GD baby they tend toward slower developing lungs. So if you are that worried and want to do it I would go into labor first and don't schedule it. They also tend to carry that extra weight in fat which squishes rather than in bone that doesn't.

PoppetsMom February 25th, 2014 06:57 PM

Re: When/how to schedule c/s
I had my son via c/s after 21 hours in labor. His vitals started to go down hill, I spiked a fever, my labor had stalled and we had been trying to restart and stabilize it for hours. Tyler kept trying to crown but couldn't make it through my pelvic bone. Too narrow. I'm 26 weeks with DD, 14 years later. Rather than try to battle with my narrow pelvis and risk injury (Broken collar bones, cerebral palsy, etc.) caused by trying to force the issue, my OB and I discussed our options and agreed at my first prenatal appointment we would be scheduling a c/s for this one too. We were thinking the last week of May, however that coincides with Memorial Day this year, so I may go either 10 days before EDD, or just after EDD depending on how big DD is at that point in my pregnancy. DS was going to be induced if he didn't come by his due date on his own because of his size and my frame... He decided to make his appearance at 11:19PM on his due date... Cutting it a little close. :D

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:37 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright © 2003-2012 JustMommies.com, All Rights Reserved.