JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (https://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Cesarean Section Experiences, and Birth Stories (https://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1399-cesarean-section-experiences-and-birth-stories/)
-   -   Sarah's Emergency C/S Feb 2010, Spinal (https://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1399-cesarean-section-experiences-and-birth-stories/1931008-sarahs-emergency-c-s-feb-2010-spinal.html)

Love-My-Cub April 3rd, 2010 11:30 PM

Sarah's Emergency C/S Feb 2010, Spinal
My son was born Thursday Feb 11, 2010 @ 9:22am. His due date was Feb 14, 2010.

I had my first contraction at about 7am Wed morning. They were on and off the rest of the day.

By about 1am they were close enough together that I could time them. At about 3:30 they were about 5 mins apart so we went in. I was checked, told I was around 2cm and to go home and "relax" (yay right). So we headed home. By this time it was around 5:30.

Once home I started having really intense back labour (it had been there the whole time but was getting worse). I called in at about 7:15am and said that I was in too much pain so they told me to come in and they would see about giving me drugs.

I got to the hospital at about 7:30am. By this time I was in so much pain (the contractions didn't hurt but my back was killing me). I was at a teaching hospital so I had the teacher nurse come talk to me and the student started checking me out. It was actually the student nurse that was the first to figure out something was wrong. My BP was sky high (I had had an issue with high BP for about a week and half during my pregnancy but it resolved itself). So they started checking the baby's HR. They realized he was in distress.

After a little bit (couldn't tell you how long - it was a blur because they hadn't given me anything for the pain yet!) I was moved into a labour room. I was there for maybe 5 mins before they dedcided to do the C/S. At this point I didn't care as long as it meant drugs.

They were debating about giving me either a spinal or a general. If it was a general DH wouldn't have been able to be in the room. That was really important to me so I asked for the spinal. They agreed but said that there was the possiblity that if anything happened he would have to leave and they would knock me out.As soon as the decision was made everything started happening 2x as fast as they had been. In a matter of minutes we were ready to go and I was being wheeled to the OR. Dh was still in the room getting ready.

Once in the OR I was able to scoot myself onto the operating table. By this time the contractions were pretty much on top of each other and I was in so much pain with my back that I was having trouble breathing. I got to hold onto one of the really nice nurses while I was given the spinal. That part was really quick and felt about the same as when the IV was put in my hand (my IV took a couple tries, the spinal only one). I was told that I would only feel 2 more contractions and they were right!

The spinal took effect from the toes up. It was just this really warm. pleasant feeling. I didn't feel numb, just warm. I felt as if I could still move my toes but was too scared to try. As soon as the spinal took effect I was in a great mood. No pain. Then everything seemed a lot friendlier and easier. The doc pinched my stomach a couple times to see if I was numb. I could feel the first one so she waited about 15-30 seconds and tried again. I could still feel a bit but much less than before. So she said they had to start and couldn't wait anymore because of the baby's distress. DH wasn't even in the room yet and the started cutting.

Things happened really fast. While I was being drapped they put in the catheder. I had no idea they had put one in until I was my room.

I could 'feel' the first cut. There wasn't any pain what so ever. It was a very odd feeling. At this point DH was brought in and sat next to me. There was a lot of pulling and tugging and pressure. And very odd sounds. It was a wet, kind of sucking sound. The sounds continued until my son was out. From about my chest down was warm and from there up I was freezing (but I tend to be cold anyways). My arms were shaking, and I couldn't stop them. When they started trying to get him out, one doc was pulling on him and the other was pushing on my upper abdomen so there was a ton of pressure and it was hard to breath.

My son had gotten really stuck so they had to give me another shot (no idea of what) to relax my entire body enough to get him out. The also had to make a second cut in my uterus (so it is shaped like a T). I felt like I got hit by a truck. But it did the trick. As soon as he was out he was brought around the curtain so I could see him. They had to take him to be checked so I didn't get to hold him. They did the checks in the room while I was being closed up. My DH was able to go over and cut the cord and take pictures (the doc took pics of the 2 of them). They then left the room and I stayed on the table. Closing up took at least 2 or 3 times longer than it did to get the spinal and get him out. I was closed with disolvable stitches on the inside and steri strips on the outside.

As soon as I was in recovery I was able to start BFing. I had the cathater and IV in until about 7am the next morning (that was how long I had to have the IV for). I was able to have a shower about noon. My pain was controlled with extra strength Tylenol and something like extra strength Advil. I was also given T3's but I don't like them so I only had one. I was in the hospital for 3 nights and 4 days. I had little to no pain the day of the C/S so I think I over did it a bit and so I was really sore the second day. After that it wasn't bad.

I was really grateful that it all happened so fast. I didn't have time to think about it. If I have another child, it is an automatic C/S because of the T cut they made.

But most importantly, my son is here and he is healthy :)

Celine April 21st, 2010 03:35 PM

Re: Sarah's Emergency C/S Feb 2010, Spinal
Congrats on your baby- boy! Great description. Sounds like a wonderful C-section experience for you. What is T3's? And how long was the bleeding after the C-section?

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:01 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright © 2003-2012 JustMommies.com, All Rights Reserved.