Breast, bottle or pumping..

Forum: Closely Spaced Siblings

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Closely Spaced Siblings LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 29th, 2010, 09:22 AM
mommy2skyty's Avatar Super Mommy
I was just curious to what ways have you fed your kids? What made you make the decision you did? No judging please

With my daughter I only breastfeed for about a week, pumped for almost 4 months then swtiched to formula.

I really wanted to breastfeed since my mom was success with my brother and I for over a year. I thought it would be something I could do but right from the start my daughter had a bad latch and I was in constant pain when I tried to breastfeed her. After a week of trying I decided to buy a pump and give her breastmilk that way. I pumed until I lost my supply and then we went to formula until she was about 14 months old including the Next Start formula. My daughter was always my bottle girl

With my son breastfeeding worked out right from the beginning and we are still breastfeeding today.

If I had to go somewhere I pumped some milk for him but he would never take a bottle, only a sippy cup! Even today he doesn't even really like milk but I am hoping he starts liking it soon. I don't want to breastfeed him forever but I am hoping that he starts weaning on his own rather than me making the choice for him. So yeah my daughter was my bottle girl and my son wants nothing to do with them, lol!

Skyla Helen- Feb 2nd, 2008
Tyler Lyman- Sep 6th, 2009

Quinn Kayden- Aug 17th, 2013

Happy Easter from my kiddos!
October 29th, 2010, 10:13 AM
2pinks&ablue's Avatar Chantelle
I breastfed/pumped with Alyssa until she was about 3 months old and I returned to school full-time, with Rylan I breastfed until about 4 months, then left him with exMIL and instead of the BM I had pumped, she gave him formula! I was livid.
October 29th, 2010, 10:39 AM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
EBF for 6 months with DS1, FF the twins

Lucky mother to five!

October 29th, 2010, 03:37 PM
GiftsfromGod's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I bf both of my boys Will until he self weaned at 12 months and then I weaned James a few months ago at 16 months. My mom bf all 7 of us kids and FF just wasn't something I really ever considered as an option. There were so many health benefits to bf'ing and plus I am way to cheap to buy formula when I had a free food supply LOL My older DS had a lot of latching issues until he was 3-4 weeks old every feeding was a struggle taking 20-30 min to get him latched on and I was in a lot of pain but I am glad we stuck it out because once he finally got it figured out he nursed great. I've missed not nursing James weaned a few months ago and am looking forward to have a new baby to nurse very soon

October 29th, 2010, 04:19 PM
babydahl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Tried to BF Aylie and had no success so I pumped for about a month til all the milk was gone and FF'd.

Pumped for a long as a I could with the other 3 (which has been no more than 2 weeks) and FF.
October 29th, 2010, 07:24 PM
GranolaMamaOf3's Avatar ~Heather~
Exclusively BF DS1 until he was 10 months old. He self weaned at 14months due to my lack of supply (being preggo). He now gets Expressed BM every now and then. (especially if his immune system is low). DS2 is exclusively BF.

Neither of my boys would take a bottle so pumping is/was not an option. As Ruth said, my mom BF all 5 of us, and ever since I was little, I've just known I would BF! I love the health benefits, bonding, ease/simplicity when out and about, and cost!

November 1st, 2010, 11:50 AM
The Heather's Avatar Jedi Master of Piffleness
Hi. I'm Heather and I'm popping in from the March 08 PR. I have breastfed and pumped for both of my kids, although my DD was supplemented with formula in the beginning due to her jaundice.

November 1st, 2010, 02:36 PM
Taramomof3's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
Dillan I nursed for 3.5 weeks then gave him formula..he had a horrable latch made me cracka nd bleed! omg it was so painful haha

Chase made it 3 months nursing then I switched to formula

Brianna I made it 6 months nursing then switched to formula (3rd times the charm )

Brianna Eve (09/12/09) Dillan Zarek (07/20/06) Chase Alexander (10/04/08)

November 1st, 2010, 04:25 PM
LisaMarie!'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Aiden 1 week--hated breastfeeding and he had a hard time latching one so I stopped.

Preston 1 month... I stopped when we went to visit family. I wasn't readying to nurse around family or friends. During the month I also had to supplement because i was out processing the base and I didn't get a lot from the pump. He was watched by hubby or a friend who was babysitting Aiden.

<
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

November 4th, 2010, 09:01 AM
LisanAndy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Taylor: FF
Rylie: BF for 5 months
Seth: EBF for 6 whole days Hoping to make it as long as possible

Is baby Aubrey Alana or Jacob Robert?!

November 5th, 2010, 08:31 AM
Mega Super Mommy
With Hudson I exclusively BFed and started to wean at 1 year and he was fully weaned at 14mo. I went back to work when he was 12 weeks and would pump and go to his day care at lunch to nurse. So far have been exclusivly BFed Sawyer and home to do the same as I did for Hudson when I go back to work.

November 5th, 2010, 06:43 PM
AmandaR
We formula feed. We do wean off bottles as soon as they can though (Li was 9 months, Reagan was 10 months).
November 10th, 2010, 11:39 PM
Happy Song's Avatar Nicole
My 9 YO DD was half breastfed and hald Formula fed. She slef weaned at 9 months. I was replaced with a binki and TV.

Scarlett I tried to BF and made it a week maybe and then exclusively bottle fed and I am still tying to get her off the bottle.

Beau is an odd situation. I Quit Breastfeeding when he was maybe 5 days old and I started giving him formula. He stopped sucking and was crying at the breast. My Dh asked me to pump and give BM so I did. I bought a cheap Mi Pimp from Target and that thing drove me nuts. We used breast flow bottles. Any way three weeks ago I just gave up on the pumping and went back to EBF. Things are going great.
November 11th, 2010, 03:32 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to HarpersGirl
Popping in from the Feb 2010 PR

I EBF my DS until 6 months, then switched to FF. I had the worlds worst time with him, cracked nipples, blocked ducts, painful letdown and extreme weight loss. With Leah, we are still EBF and going strong at almost 9m. I hope to wean her at 12m, we don't do self weaning sadly.

November 12th, 2010, 08:11 AM
MrsAndMommy
Hayley was mostly bottle-fed because I screwed up with breastfeeding early on (my mom insisted I supplement which of course diminished my supply) and Cammie was breastfed until 7 months when she weaned herself but I think the pregnancy may have affected the supply because she didn't seem like she was getting very full.
November 12th, 2010, 08:26 AM
Isabelle's Avatar 3 Princes & 1 Princess
Logan was breastfed for about 5 weeks.
Shaun was breastfed for about 2 days.
Gavin was breasted for about 2 days.

All boys transitioned to formula/bottle.

I'll likely be formula feeding our next baby.

November 14th, 2010, 05:29 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I EBFed DS#1 untill he self weaned at a year.
i EBFed ds#2 until he was 11 months. For some reason my supply dried up and he dropped from the 75% to 25% in weight!
I EBFed DD for 6 weeks, she wouldnt gain weight, starting losing, had tummy issues... I was really stressed. Tried formula and lost my milk, tried to relactate for 2 months with no luck!

I hope to EBF #4! I am so sad Im not BFing my baby girl. Every time I give her a bottle I just hate myself a little. I Miss it a lot

November 14th, 2010, 07:04 AM
Loving My Piglets
I formula fed Rhianna i tried for 3 weeks to get her to latch on but she wouldn't i pumped for a while.

Lacey i didn't have a choice i was on medication which didn't allow me to breastfeed so she was formula fed from day 1

Lucas i breastfed for 5 days then switched to formula, had bad bleeding/cracked nipples

R (10) 24.04.06 - our little angel
R (9) 07.06.07
L (8) 05.06.08
L (6) 26.04.10
C (3) 15.02.13

November 14th, 2010, 09:16 AM
JulieMc's Avatar Loving my babies. :)
Kelly was BFed for 7 weeks full-time, then I went back to work. When I was back at work I'd BF him in the morning when I got up, and when I was home in the evenings. Eventually though he slept longer in the mornings and gave that up, and phased out the evening one. So at that point, 5 months old, we just went to FF full-time.

This time my plan is to BF for at least the 3 months that I am off work (I'm taking 13 weeks off). I'd like to try to pump, but I am not sure how that will work out with working. Pumping didn't work with KJ, but I'm willing to give it a go again and at least try before switching to some formula.

However things work out though, I will be fine with that.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search