HELP! Does anyone deal w/ vulvar varicose veins during pregnancy?

Forum: High Risk Pregnancy

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To High Risk Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 16th, 2009, 09:11 AM
multi-taskingmomma's Avatar Expecting baby #3!!!
UGH. This is SO not a fun topic to talk about OR experience!! And I don't think it's considered "high risk" but I couldn't find a place to post this that would make sense

I have 2 boys and with my 2nd pregnancy I started having a dull aching pain "down there" at only 10 wks pregnant. I went to the Dr & she said I had vulvar varicose veins...I guess they were really "up in there"....hence the intense discomfort and pain! Plus I had them visibly covering my va-jay-jay and upper thighs where the legs meet. So I dealt w/ that my entire pregnancy & to top it off, my son was born on August 23rd! So the heat definitely didn't help things & I wasn't about to wear hose or crazy tight underwear (V-Brace) when it was 100 degrees outside!! Needless to say this was all NOT FUN and to top it off I had pre-eclampsia (AGAIN) & was on bedrest (AGAIN) for the last few wks. of my pregnancy. Which made the pain in my veins all worse, because they felt best when the blood was flowing & I walked--NOT laid still on bedrest. (sorry for the vent session, but I'm getting to a question)
So my question for any of you who have had multiple children & dealt with this issue....We are TTC baby #3, but I've heard that the vulvar veins get progressively worse w/ each following pregnancy... Does anyone have a story about their experiences w/ this? We are trying to get pregnant soon so that my due date will be late Spring--hoping that since it wont be summer, having less heat to deal w/ will help w/ the swelling, etc.

I've heard to use witch-hazel on the veins, and this time around if i have them again, I WILL wear the V-brace. But if anyone has any other tips/advice/suggestions, I'd REALLY REALLY appreciate hearing it!!

Shan
July 16th, 2009, 02:25 PM
rebeccabaltimore and more's Avatar (rebeccabaltimore)
Hmm, I've never had that particular problem, but I did have a nerve problem that caused a lot of vulvar pain for a few years, it was NOT fun, so I can't imagine how hard this must be for you. You definitely posted in the right place, we have a lot of knowledgeable ladies here. I hope you can avoid pre-e and bedrest with this coming pregnancy, but if not, feel free to pop in here for support.

I don't know much about vulvar varicose veins, but maybe lying with your hips elevated may help? That might give you a bit of a gravitational advantage and relieve some of the pressure on the veins.

Since I don't have a lot of info on this condition, I went and found some resources for you - I hope they help:

Vulval Conditions - Women's Health Queensland Wide
Causes and Treatment of Vulvar Varicose Vein
Vein Options - Causes and Treatment of Vulvar Varicose Vein
Varicose Veins in Pregnancy: UK Midwifery Archives
FAQ: Vulvar Conditions

Thank you Vicki for my awesome siggy!!

July 16th, 2009, 02:48 PM
Thanks SOO much for taking the time to look that up for me. How sweet!!!! I really appreciate it!!!

July 16th, 2009, 04:07 PM
rebeccabaltimore and more's Avatar (rebeccabaltimore)
No problem! I remember how much vulvar issues sucked! Cute guys you have there

Thank you Vicki for my awesome siggy!!

July 16th, 2009, 05:25 PM
AliciaF's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I haven't but now I'm wondering if I do. I don't have any visible veins but have had intense pressure since very early on in my pregnancy. And everything is kind of puffy "down there" if you KWIM.

The pressure is extremely uncomfortable so I can sympathize. What is the V-Brace?

Thank you *Kiliki* for my perfect siggy Follow us on Facebook

July 16th, 2009, 05:25 PM
AliciaF's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I haven't but now I'm wondering if I do. I don't have any visible veins but have had intense pressure since very early on in my pregnancy. And everything is kind of puffy "down there" if you KWIM.

The pressure is extremely uncomfortable so I can sympathize. What is the V-Brace?

Thank you *Kiliki* for my perfect siggy Follow us on Facebook

July 22nd, 2009, 09:53 PM
Sorry for the slow reply...but I FEEL YOUR PAIN. I hope for your sake that you DO NOT have vein issues...but if you do, your Dr will be able to identify them!! Here is the link for the V-brace...
Fembrace - V-brace support for prolapse of uterus, rectocele, cystocele and vulvur varicose

July 29th, 2009, 09:40 PM
Super Mommy
I had them with my last two pg. They were very painful and itchy and nothing really helped them. I am a nurse and am on my feet for 12 hour shifts and found that things were worse when I was up alot because of the pressure it put on my nether regions. So far with this pg I do notice that I have them and on occasion when I go to the bathroom and wipe it is swollen and tender but so far they have not been nearly as painful or itchy feeling as they were during the last 2 pg. By this time in the last 2 they were really bothering me. I am hoping they stay away! My varicose veins in my legs are much more painful with this pg though.
DS-02/12/02
DS-05/11/05
DD-10/16/07
Angel-11/08
DS-10/29/09

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search