What do you consider high bp?

Forum: High Risk Pregnancy

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To High Risk Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 15th, 2010, 05:10 PM
heathernoel's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Have had a most stressful day, and am not sure what to do...what do you consider to be high bp?
January 15th, 2010, 05:16 PM
rebeccabaltimore and more's Avatar (rebeccabaltimore)
According to the National Institutes of Health, anything over 140/90 is considered high blood pressure in pregnancy. Your blood pressure after a stressful day is not a good indicator of whether you have high BP, and it's okay for your BP to be high in response to stress.

What's going on?

Thank you Vicki for my awesome siggy!!

January 15th, 2010, 05:30 PM
Work. I can't even begin to put into words...yes I can.

I've been the other half of the autism team for over 7 years now. Seems my partner and my aide have been talking about me, and HER aides came to me to say that they want to know if I'd be willing to leave the partnership and go to another school..they are sick of her.

I just can't think straight...my bp has been 136/89 and 132/84 in the last hour. I am trying to calm down, but I think I'm having a mental episode...I know you'll understand...

I'm so upset that I get low, then really angry, then I panic. Hard time catching my breath.

Is it stupid to go in because you can't get a grip?!

(despite the way it looks, I'm serious...)
January 15th, 2010, 06:12 PM
I know you're serious. Your blood pressure is absolutely fine. Nothing to worry about. That's what my BP is everyday, and my doctor won't increase my BP meds because she is happy with those numbers and any med increase would drop me dangerously low. Your BP will come down soon, trying to treat it with meds right now would put you way too low. I'm sorry that it feels so crappy though But you're not even close to hurting the baby. If mental episodes could hurt the baby, my baby would be in serious trouble by this point - and he's not he's healthy. It sucks to suffer through an anxiety attack, but at least you can be assured that the baby can't even tell.

I saw on FB that you were having some problems at work. I would stand your ground. You shouldn't have to leave because they are ******. You do a good job, you help your students, your coworkers can go **** themselves.

January 15th, 2010, 06:17 PM
Thank you ....I hate myself this way...seriously hate it. I wonder if they'd consider meds...I'll find out on Monday. I'd do anything to relax right now.

Thank you for the support, Rebecca. I am actually a little excited to leave the school and start off somewhere "Where no body knows my name..." LOL. I don't need the stress of moving classrooms and schools while pondering maternity leave, either.

AHHHHHHHHHH!
January 15th, 2010, 06:51 PM
Well, if you ever want to talk about anxiety and mood disorder medications that are considered safe during pregnancy, let me know, I can tell you what I know and what I myself take. I have my moments even medicated, but I would be a complete nutcase this pregnancy if I weren't medicated and in therapy. Which in turn would worsen my BP and my diabetes, and cause other problems, and would just be miserable for me. I'm not a doctor, but I am pretty educated on the current research in psychiatric care during pregnancy.

January 15th, 2010, 07:10 PM
I know you are, so lay it on me. I'm not on anything right now...when I read about the link between clonazepam and anencephaly I stopped all meds (true sign of one who needs meds are those that diagnose themselves as being fine)....

I know for sure I'm going to ask for anxiety meds....could you fill me in on antidepressants? I so need to make an appt for a shrink...but I'd have to say this pregnancy is NOT helping my moods!
January 15th, 2010, 08:21 PM
Gaby&Emmy'sMama's Avatar aka NZ-Emma
Heather, I am so sorry that you are being put under ANY external stress - pregnancy itself is stressful enough, without external stimuli (can I call people, stimuli?) playing their part!

I too suffer from terrible anxiety during pregnancy, and have toyed on and off with the idea of going on medication, I was going to do it, until it was decided I needed to go back on my epilepsy medication... one medication is already freaking me out, so two? Can't even think about it... which REALLY sucks!

I would deffffinately talk to your ob about how you are feeling - having that added support will help in the long run... I know I felt embarassed about it before I spoke to my midwife, but she was so caring & compassionate when I told her, that I"m so glad I did... she doesn't really make the anxiety go *away*, but it's nice to know that I have that little bit of extra support.....

When it comes down to it, pregnancy after loss - and pregnancy that is termed 'high risk', is horrible.. it has the potential to do horrible things to your brain, and it really really is a test of your strength. It's horrible to say that - but I think everyone knows it to be the truth.... But from what I know of you hun, you are a strong, amazing, brilliant woman, and you will make it through this pregnancy - you'll manage to take it a day at a time, and roll with the punches (or the kicks even!).... and you'll be yet another source of inspiration for women seeing those two pink lines (or the blue ones, or the 'digital' word 'pregnant') for the first time, and wondering how they are ever going to make it through the next 40 weeks (well, 36 I guess!)

Okay.. now I've gotten all off track... but I Hope some of what I said makes sense.. and ignore any that doesn't!

January 15th, 2010, 08:36 PM
You got it. Basically, SSRIs are considered very safe. Zoloft is the safest, or at least the one studied the most, but generally most are safe. Prozac, Lexapro, Celexa, the whole class is considered safe at this point, all are Category C. Paxil is the only exception. If you don't need meds, obviously that's safest, but if you do need meds and don't take them, you run about a 20% risk of preterm labor, and that outweighs the much slighter risk of taking them.

Valium and other benzodiazepenes carry a small risk of cleft palate. I have taken Valium during both pregnancies, and neither kid has had cleft palate. It's a pretty small risk, unless, in the words of my OB "you are taking it like a 1960's housewife."

Lithium carries a 1% risk of Ebstein's anomaly, a relatively minor and always correctable heart defect. Lithium is only prescribed to people who are bipolar (like me), and I'm pretty sure that's not your issue.

Some other mood stabilizers are safe, the best known being Lamictal. It's long been used in pregnancy to treat epileptics, so it's very well studied.

Atypical antipsychotics are also generally safe in pregnancy. Surprisingly, their use is not restricted to people with psychotic disorders, they are very effective mood stabilizers too.

SNRIs, like amitriptyline, are also considered safe.

Welbutrin is considered safe. Fun fact: Welbutrin frequently increases your sex drive.

MAOIs are VERY NOT SAFE. But they are last ditch drugs and not used much anymore.

I take Lithium, Lexapro, Seroquel and Lamictal, daily. I'm VERY bipolar, and spending 9 months in a psych ward just isn't a good option for the baby. I also take Ambien, if my sleep cycle isn't tightly regulated I get manic, and there I am in the psych ward. I also take Valium, for panic attacks only. I took it daily with Ethan, to no ill effect, but because we got me on better mood stabilizers, I don't need it that much. It's just a "when all else fails" kind of thing.

Well, that's my intro to psych meds in pregnancy. Let me know if you have any questions. There's also a women and mood disorders clinic at Hopkins that specializes in pregnancy psych meds, that's who my psychiatrist consulted with when he designed my regimen.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search