Log In Sign Up

Hypertension and Pre-E

Forum: High Risk Pregnancy


Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To High Risk Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 24th, 2011, 05:28 PM
ohnicole's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 5,756
I have posted on here a little bit, mostly earlier in my pregnancy, because I have a clotting disorder and have been on Lovenox. Now I have an entirely new issue.

My blood pressure had been creeping up into the pre-hypertension ranges over the course of my pregnancy, and last week at the OB, it was high enough that she sent me over to L&D, where it remained high enough (mostly 140s/80s with some spikes into 150s/90s) that they admitted me for pre-e testing.

I had 2 consecutive 24 hour urine tests and both came back showing no proteinuria. I had 3 sets of pre-e labs run and all came back within normal limits, although my uric acid is creeping up and is in the high end of normal. They sent me home on Labetalol, and without the stress of the hospital, my pressures have remained good. I'm going back tomorrow to get more labs run and to turn in another 24 hour urine collection.

Different doctors during my hospital stay seemed to disagree about what my labs meant. The issue appears to be the rising uric acid without proteinuria. Some doctor's seem to think it is already pre-e, while others think that without proteinuria it remains (at the moment) gestational hypertension. Does anyone have any experience with this?

And what have your doctor's recommendations been with regards to when to induce for either gestational hypertension or mild pre-e? My doctors seem to induce for gestational hypertension at 38 weeks, but for pre-e (even mild pre-e) at 36 weeks, but most things I have read have recommended waiting until 37 weeks if things are stable.
Reply With Quote
October 25th, 2011, 10:30 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 13,880
I don't have any experience with pre-e but I know some of the other moms here do and hopefully they will chime in...keeping my fingers crossed that the meds help and you are able to keep your BP down and keep the little one cooking a bit longer! Have they talked about doing an amino to check for lung development?
~Beth in Seattle

Reply With Quote
October 25th, 2011, 05:38 PM
ohnicole's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 5,756
Thanks for the response They haven't talked about an amnio, but from the attitudes of the MFMs at the hospital, I consider myself extremely lucky to not have delivered my baby at 35 weeks 4 days. They seem to automatically induce for pre-e once you approach 36 weeks.

My labs today looked good, so at least we get to hold out a little longer!
Reply With Quote
October 26th, 2011, 03:28 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Northern KY
Posts: 10,208
I have chronic hypertension and had pre-e with my last pregnancy. I was diagnosed once they found protein in my urine and I had a crapyp set of labs. I was 37 weeks then and was induced. I do not understand why your doc would induce for gestational hypertension at all. For pre-e it makes sense, but if you are just having hypertesion issues, as long as it can be controlled by meds, and induction for the hypertension seems odd to me.

Reply With Quote
October 29th, 2011, 02:07 PM
ohnicole's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 5,756
Yeah it seems weird to me, too, but my doctor seems to be the least aggressive one around here. If I was with any other OB in the area, I am positive I would have already been induced. Thanks for the input!
Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:17 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0