Log In Sign Up

Gestational diabetes and induction

Forum: Labor and Childbirth


Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By tryinfor5
  • 1 Post By SaphireScorpion
  • 1 Post By lexiandolive
  • 1 Post By tryinfor5

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Labor and Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 17th, 2012, 10:58 AM
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: VA
Posts: 138
I would love to hear some other ladies' experiences with this. My nurse practioner has informed me 2 times that the OBs don't "like" to let the GD moms go over their due dates. I am very anti-induction unless truely medically needed.

My thoughts are: if I have my GD under control, and my levels are good, then what is the worry? If they were out of control then the risks would be apparent.
I had a 9.6lb baby last time and fully expect another big one.. so at what point is my baby "too big" to carry to term? They want to do an ultrasound at 36 weeks to determine the size of the baby - but my understanding is that these are not accurate. I want to decline the U/S because I feel that it will just make them want to push things along and hassle me.

I have an appointment next Tuesday with one of the OBs in the office and have a lot of questions for him anyway, so I guess these are all questions I will be asking. But I really would like to know if there is any reason that, if my bgl are under control, that I cannot treat this like a normal pregnancy?
jessmgt likes this.
Proud momma of 3 - 2 his and one ours
due with #4 in November, still nursing #3!

I love to blog, although I don't have much time for it recently... I will be back at it as soon as I can!

Reply With Quote
March 17th, 2013, 01:21 PM
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 106
If I were you, I wouldn't get the 36 week ultrasound. Keep taking care of yourself and monitoring your levels. Induction can have some serious consequences -- like a much higher risk of a csection (which is what the OBs are probably worried about anyway--the baby being "too big" to come out and needing to be sectioned.)

Keep informing yourself about labour and delivery positions that work with gravity (NOT lying on your back with your legs in the air) so that a large baby will come out more easily.

Good luck.
jessmgt likes this.
[link=http://www.justmommies.com][img noborder]http://www.justmommies.com/tickers/pic/baby_due/14187/[/img][/link]
Reply With Quote
June 21st, 2013, 09:01 AM
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 211
I had GD and was 41.5 weeks when I opted to be induced. Induction was a mess and I didn't progress in labour and ended up with a kid in distress and a c-section. Not being induced again, even if I go to 42 weeks.
jessmgt likes this.
Reply With Quote
July 27th, 2013, 08:26 AM
Super Mommy
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 542
Our doctor wanted to induce us at 38 weeks. We didn't want to at first and then he told us of other mothers who had their GD under control, but called in at about 39 weeks because they couldn't feel the baby moving. And then he had to deliver a dead baby.

Only problem I had with the induction was the fact that I didn't need more medicine after he broke my water, and so the baby came to fast and I never did manage to get my epidural. On the flip side, it was over fast and no epidural means you can walk yourself to the bathroom.
Reply With Quote
October 4th, 2013, 12:28 PM
#6 otw for us:)
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: in the snow
Posts: 124
In my opinion avoid the ultrasound if you don't want to be forced into inducing! Gd babies are bigger but not necessarily bones wise, so even if baby passes 10-11lbs, his or her bone structure wont necessarily be bigger than a 9lb baby, she or he will just be a bit chubbier... from experience- pushing out a 9lb chunky baby is EASIER than an 8lb thinner baby!! More chunk means softer baby to push, less boney elbows and knees and shoulders is better!
As long as you are able to keep your numbers under control and baby is not distressed, letting baby come on his or her own time is better for both of you!
good luck and keep us posted!

For the mommy who had to birth a baby born asleep I am so sorry for your loss, I hope you do know that it is NOT YOUR FAULT!! not inducing a week ahead of when baby passed wouldnt necessarily have changed the outcome! GOD bless you and your dh, my prayers are with you
Reply With Quote
May 2nd, 2014, 11:04 AM
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: VA
Posts: 138
I know this is a very late update... but better late than never! This might help another momma.

I ended up going into labor on my own at 41.5 weeks and had baby in record time. Seriously, I went into the hospital at 4cm, walked for about 30 min and was pushing within 45. The doctor on call from my practice didn't make it (oh for small miracles, I don't like him). I was incredibly careful with what I ate and monitoring my bgl. And I love blowing bad statistics out of the water - I gave birth to a perfectly healthy 7.45 lb baby.
I was back in pre-maternity clothes the day I left the hospital and at pre-pregnancy weight within 2 weeks. I ate so good when I was pregnant that I think that is the healthiest I have ever been. It did stink to obstain from several treats that I like during special events but all in all it was not horrible.

I did decline the 36 week ultrasound. I went into the dr the day I gave birth because my active little guy was way too calm, little did I know it was the calm before the storm They did a NST and all was well as he started kicking around during it so we know now that he was preparing for birth.

So moral of the story is... treated and controlled GD is NOT a medical emergency and no reason for induction or ultrasounds. Keep things under contrl best you can and let that baby cook till it is ready!
LJD3Tdance likes this.
Proud momma of 3 - 2 his and one ours
due with #4 in November, still nursing #3!

I love to blog, although I don't have much time for it recently... I will be back at it as soon as I can!

Reply With Quote
September 22nd, 2017, 10:03 AM
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 8
Hi dear. Iím Insulin dependent too. Iím 33wks today. Iíve been on it for 2wks so far. My insulin started at 4-4-0-6 and Iím currently on 16-6-0-30. m yet to get a Fasting level under the limit, so it just keeps getting increased (9times in 14days). I had a chat with the endo today and he wanted to start me on Metformin as it looks like ill be on extreme doses of insulin overnight by the time I get to term. With my history of HG (which is still lingering), he decided high doses of insulin would be more effective than me throwing up the Metformin. I'm honestly struggling with it. It just doesnít seem like it will be under control anytime soon. My baby was measuring in the 43rd %ile at 29wks, so she is on the smaller side so Iím looking at refusing their routine induction at 38wks. I get a scan next week to see how big she has grown. I had decided to consult with Lotus Clinic now as my friend recommended them to be the best.
Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:31 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0