Log In Sign Up

Introducing Gabriel Cortes and Frankie Rey December 31, 2009

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 25th, 2010, 11:59 AM
Sweetpea0708's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 8,594
Send a message via AIM to Sweetpea0708 Send a message via MSN to Sweetpea0708 Send a message via Yahoo to Sweetpea0708
Edited to include details for mamas who weren't around:

It was week 5 of my never ending hospital stay (so it seemed). I had hospitalized due to the boys developing TTTS (twin to twin transfusion syndrome). So finally, after days of debate, I decided to go ahead with a scheduled C-Section on December 31st at 34 weeks and 3 days. At 6 am, my nurse came in to ask when my DH was arriving. I let her know he will be here at 9:30 am, since my surgery was scheduled for 11:30. She came back and alerted me that I had been moved up to 8:30 am! I live an hour away from the hospital, someone should have told me sooner! I call DH and wake him up to get over to the hospital ASAP.

At 7:30, the anesthesiologist assesses me and I immediately tell him that I'm not going anywhere until my husband arrives. My peri strolls in, and after finding out about my late notice, reassures me and pretty much says we have all morning. Fortunately, DH arrives just as I'm being walked back to the OR.

The spinal was put in, no problem. As they laid me down on the table, I realize I felt a heaviness in my chest, which was completely different from what I felt with my first C-Section. I start panicking, and even though the nurses were trying to calm me down, the heaviness kept moving up to my neck and I just kept panicking. Finally, DH (late as usual) comes in and is able to calm me down.

Both babies came out screaming, and it was the best sound in the world. Then things began to go woozy for me. I was hallucinating that I was talking to my DH, to then realize that I was just hallucinating. Then my DH says "What's wrong with your face??" I don't feel a thing, I told him that. Then the anesthesiologists look and they notice something odd too. Then my peri and the chief resident look over the drapes. Now I have all these eyes on me, and even though they are saying my eyes are puffing up, I don't feel it.

After they closed me up, I realized I was laying on the table (probably pretty exposed too ), while everyone else is surrounding my peri, who is poking at something on another table. Then they all start pulling out their cell phones (we won't ask why there were iphones in the OR), and taking pictures, my DH included (he was smart, he brought a regular camera). Of course I am curious now. and demand to be a part of the action . Turns out, my peri injected a liquid into one umbilical cord and it coursed through the placenta, across the membrane of the sac, and out the other umbilical cord. It was a pretty big artery too, which showed not only that they shared a placenta, but that they did have TTTS, and lucky for me that big artery caused little damage. So now there are doctors out there walking around with pictures of my placenta The autopsy of the placenta further confirmed the information.

I did in fact have severe swelling in my face as an allergic reaction to one of the meds and I had was given benadryl. I don't know why I couldn't feel it, I thought I was just sleepy (my eyes were so swollen they barely opened). I was given a list of meds from the surgery since they can't prove which one I reacted to.

All in all, despite some weird events, it was a good surgery and my boys came pretty much healthy. They only needed CPAP for a few hours, their lungs were fully developed at birth. Both had no feeding problems whatsoever. Frankie Jr. is already home and once Gabriel controls his temp better, he will be home too. They got jaundiced and the billi lights messed them up temperature wise for a few days. I can't wait to have them both home. Thanks for reading!

I will add pics later, my technologically challenged DH used a disposable camera so once they are developed I will add pictures.

Update: Frankie came home on day 8 of their NICU stay, Gabriel came home on day 10.
Frances (27), Frankie (33), Francesca (12), Antonio (10), Xavier (2) and Gabriel Cortes and Frankie Rey Jr. (9 mo) !

Last edited by Sweetpea0708; February 25th, 2010 at 12:05 PM.
Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:13 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0