Log In Sign Up

Zoey and Paige's grand entrance.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 18th, 2011, 09:31 PM
CrystalAnne's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Idaho
Posts: 4,278
I had an appointment Monday morning 4-11-11 where I expected my OB to tell me that everything was great and that we'd have babies any day. But when they took my b/p it was elevated more than it had been previously so my OB decided to induce me the next morning.

Gabe and I arrived at the hospital at 6am Tuesday morning 4-12-11 to start the process to welcome our little ladies to the world. I was really nervous, I felt like a first time mom again!!!! They got me changed into some jammies (AKA a really b-fugly gown) and told me to potty in a cup (can I tell you how sick I am of peeing in cups?!?!). Then I was to wait and get the IV started for the pitocin. The nurse got the IV started, she did a fantastic job! She had just graduated from nursing school in December and was still training, very nice girl

It was 7am by the time the IV was running and everybody kindof settled in and waited for some action. They had checked me and baby A had actually gone back up to a -1 station from 0 station. I was hoping she would be further down so Dr B could just rupture my membranes and we could skip the whole nasty pitocin bit, but no such luck. So I was 4cm 80% effaced, pitocin dripping and waiting to meet my girls!

From 7am to 12pm not a whole lot happened. I bounced on the birthing ball and walked in circles next to the bed because I wasn't allowed off the monitors, and their portable unit did not have enough ports to monitor twins. It was frustrating but I tried not to let it rain on my parade. . .I was welcoming my girls into the world, this was going to be a GOOD day!

At 12pm Dr Berg came to check my progress and the girls were at +1 and I was 5 cm dilated. . .not a lot of progress, but that's normal for me, so I was prepared. Dr Berg ruptured my membranes at that point.

My pain level skyrocketed, of course, because once the membranes are ruptured everything speeds up and gets more intense. The anesthesiologist decided I needed a 2nd IV started in case of an emergency c-section. So they had me lay down on the bed to get the IV started. I HATED the bed! It doubled my pain level, everything in me told me I needed to walk, even if it was just in circles! A student started my IV and she was really horribly bad at it, she attempted twice and failed, then the RN teaching her tried twice and finally got it on the fourth poke. . .I have never been a hard stick so that was unamusing, mostly because of my level of pain.

This is where things got kinda nasty. They checked me again at 1:30, I was 7cm and 90% effaced. My b/p was so high they wouldn't tell me what it was. So they start prepping everything for an emergency c-section and everybody was running around and they asked if I wanted an epidural started now or if I wanted to chance having to be knocked out in case my b/p didn't get back under control and I had to be taken in for the c sec. I was so miserable and overwhelmed I told them to just do the epi so I could watch my girls be born even if it was via c section. I was crying and carrying on like a 3 year old because I felt like a complete and total failure and that I wasn't going to get my natural delivery that I wanted so bad.

The anesthesiologist came in to start the epidural, it was about 1:40. I was still crying because I was scared of a c section and it was the most intense labor pain I'd ever experienced (worse than Jake and Gracie by far!). It took him all the way until 2pm and a total of FIVE attempts to get the needle where it needed to go. And on attempt 5, when he pulled the needle out, it grabbed onto the catheter and pulled it out too, so he had to poke me a 6th time. My husband had to leave the room because he couldn't watch anymore. I had to listen to the needle grind up against my vertebrae while he tried to get it placed.

So it's 2:05pm, there is an epidural catheter placed in my back but I have not been medicated. They check my b/p, it is down to an acceptable level, so they decide no emergency c sec for now. He put 2 ml of medication into the epidural to help with the BACK PAIN I was experiencing from the placement of the darn thing. I started feeling Tons of pressure so the nurse went ahead and checked me and I was complete. . .`10cm and 100% effaced, baby's head was visible!

So at this point, after freaking out about a c section and having the most horrific epi experience I never could have imagined, I find myself being wheeled into the c section room (just in case) for a vaginal delivery. I have to say, my OB is amazing, she made a drive that would usually take me 10 minutes in the time it took to wheel me into the csection room and get me on the table. Zoey's head was crowning and she ran into the room huffing and puffing and got her gloves and stuff on just in time to catch Zoey! Zoeyanne Janae Diaz came into the world at 2:13pm.

Paige was occipital posterior (sunny side up) and Dr Berg couldn't get her turned so it took 10 or 11 pushes to get her out. Pushing a baby out forhead first is not easy! She started experiencing some really nasty decels so they put a different type of monitor on her and again mentioned a c section. Thank God she was able to tolerate the trip down the birth canal and at 2:31pm Paige Alexandra Diaz made her appearance!

Zoey was 6lbs7.5oz 19 in long and Paige was 6lbs7oz 19 inches long. I can tell them apart just looking at them. Their amniotic sac was one big sac with a thin membrane in the middle (like a yinyang) and then there was a placenta on the left side and a placenta on the right side. So we will probably have zygosity testing done to confirm they're fraternal because of the strange fused amniotic sac.

I was able to hold the girls and get skin-to-skin contact and really bond with them before they went and had their baths etc It was amazing! I still have some really awful back pain and swelling and am sitting with a hot pack on it right now. That's the only pain I have though. My labor from pitocin's first drip to the arrival of baby B was just over 8 hours. . .My shortest labor and most intense by far! I wish I had decided against the epi since all it did was add to my pain and discomfort!!!!!

That's the best I can remember it I might come back and add photos after I get them onto the laptop (forgot the darn cord) But I'm not sure how much time we will have. So there you have it! Zoey and Paige's birth story
Crystal, proud SAHM to Gracie 9, Jake 3, Zoeyanne 2 and Paige 2.[/CENTER]
Reply With Quote
February 3rd, 2014, 05:00 AM
amberbanegas's Avatar Veteran
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Fahad Al Ahmad, Kuwait
Posts: 1,397
Were they fraternal or identical?

Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:27 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0