Yolanda - Question

Forum: Children with Developmental Delays and Disorders

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Developmental Delays and Disorders LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 12th, 2008, 02:59 AM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
With all I read on your site about plastics I am wondering if my kids dinnerware is safe... all their plates and bowls are melamine, and another kind of plastic that is thinner (and sometimes melts in the dishwasher - we throw it out when that happens). I'm pretty sure the thinner plastic that melts is pretty bad for them - and am throwing it all out - but what about the melamine? Do you know? If it's bad can you recommend a safe unbreakable alternative?

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

March 12th, 2008, 08:53 PM
outnumbered's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to outnumbered
I know Sassy makes dishes that are chemical free. There's a new one, but I'm not remembering the name right now. Here's a cheat sheet put together by The Green Guide that might be helpful. This list was published in 2006, so it’s more recent than some.

ETA - BabyBjorn is the newest toxin free plastic alternative dinnerware for kids. http://www.amazon.com/BabyBj%C3%B6rn-Soft-...4860&sr=1-2

How to Choose and Use Better Plastics

Check recycling codes on the bottoms of containers.

Single Use Only: #1 PET or PETE (polyethylene terephthalate) containers are recyclable and safe for single use. But studies indicate that with repeated use, PET containers may release di(2-ethylhexyl) phthalate, an endocrine-disrupting compound and probable human carcinogen. Recently, some PET bottled-water containers were also found to leach the elemental metal antimony (an eye, skin and lung irritant at high doses), according to the January 2006 Journal of Environmental Monitoring. And in an animal study, rats that drank very low levels of antimony for most of their lives died sooner than rats that did not. Although the levels found fell within safe drinking-water standards, study author Bill Shotyk notes that concentrations in bottled water increase over time.#3 Vinyl or PVC (polyvinyl chloride), which releases carcinogenic dioxins into the environment and can leach hormone-disrupting phthalate plasticizers.

#2 HDPE (high-density polyethylene) is durable and widely recyclable.

Avoid: #3 Vinyl or PVC (polyvinyl chloride), which releases carcinogenic dioxins into the environment and can leach hormone-disrupting phthalate plasticizers.

#4 LDPE (low-density polyethylene) is used in some food wraps and sandwich bags.

#5 PP (polypropylene) is popular in reusable containers, though not frequently recycled.

Avoid: #6 PS (polystyrene), used in coffee cups and take-out containers, can leach styrene, a possible human carcinogen.

Avoid: #7 (miscellaneous), includes polycarbonate, a transparent plastic that contains hormone-disrupting bisphenol A, which may stray into contents when stressed by heat or age. Found in Nalgene Lexan and other sports bottles, baby bottles and food containers.

None of the following plastics have been shown to leach carcinogens or endocrine disruptors.

Corn-Based Cups and Cutlery:

Nat-Ur Outdoor Picnic Set-10 cups, 10 forks, 10 spoons, 10 knives, fruit “biocontainer” and trash bag
Greenware cold-drink cups
Biodegradable cups, cutlery and straws
Food Friendly Favorites:

#2 HDPE:

Carlisle 2-qt. StorPlus square, white food container
HDPE half-gal., wide-mouth storage container
#4 LDPE and #5 PP:

Rubbermaid Elegan Store and Show Minis and 36-cup round Durabowl
Rubbermaid Serve’ n Saver
Wraps:

#4 LDPE:

Ziploc sandwich bags
Saran Cling Plus
Glad Cling Wrap
#5 PP:

Farberware 34-piece Family Pack or 51-piece combo set with lid organizer
Tupperware Serving Center set
Rubbermaid Durable Solutions small-sized snack containers
For Drinks:

#2 HDPE:

Nalgene HDPE round, screw-cap, wide-mouth bottles
HDPE 32-oz. wide-mouth water bottle
Impact 5-gal. Stackrack jug with faucet
#5 PP:

Farberware 32-piece beverage set
Rubbermaid Sipp ‘N Sport Bottle ($3.49; www.amazon.com)

I am a breastfeeding, cloth diapering, co-sleeping, no crying it out, baby wearing mama of 3 boys, one of which has autism. Meet my boys here (having technical difficulties with my website). My blogs are On Top of Mt. Laundry and The Cache Checkers.

Most frequently found at the Cloth Diapering board but also a member of the July '05 PR, Austim board and the Choosing Not To Vaccinate board.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search