Car Seats

Forum: Moms of Preschoolers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms of Preschoolers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 31st, 2009, 07:21 PM
::er!ca::'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
How does your child ride in the car?

Also, I'd love for you all to stop by the Car Seat Safety board The link is in my siggy!
July 31st, 2009, 10:48 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
I love that board. I've gotten lots of great info in the past!

B's FF in a Graco Nautilus. D's RF in an Eddie Bauer 3-in-1. They'll switch when D reaches 40 lbs. He'll get the 65 lb nautilus harness, and B will get the EB 100 lb booster. I want them both in harnesses as long as possible.
August 1st, 2009, 06:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BensMom View Post
I love that board. I've gotten lots of great info in the past!

B's FF in a Graco Nautilus. D's RF in an Eddie Bauer 3-in-1. They'll switch when D reaches 40 lbs. He'll get the 65 lb nautilus harness, and B will get the EB 100 lb booster. I want them both in harnesses as long as possible.
Can I talk to you about not using the EB 3-in-1 as a booster?
August 1st, 2009, 07:06 AM
I have no choice. Dh threw a fit when I wanted to put my 42 lb 3 y/o in a nautilus rather than a regular seat belt or the 40 lb EB. My mom ended up buying the nautilus. The EB was supposed to be "the only seat we'd ever need." What's wrong with the EB as a booster? He'd be appx 5-8 when he uses it.
August 1st, 2009, 07:26 AM
It tends to not place the lap belt where it needs to be. The lap belt needs to lay flat across his thighs, not his stomach. If it lays across the soft area of the stomach, it can cause seat belt syndrome (internal injuries) in an accident. And if the lap belt sits to high (not on legs) the child could submarine and slip under the belt and out of the seat in an accident. Also, the booster is rather short. Honestly, most kids do not fit in this seat for as long as they need to ride in a booster. And because of the lack of adjustments for the shoulder belt (which like any other forward facing car seat needs to be at or above the shoulder), the child will outgrow it very quickly.

Maybe you should talk to some CPSTs over on car-seat.org?

Also, as for your DH, I'm sure he understands that your child's safety is the most important thing. We could help you find a great designated booster that is affordable.

ETA: This seat is usually outgrown at age 6. Way before a child is able to sit in a vechile without a booster.

Last edited by ::er!ca::; August 1st, 2009 at 07:37 AM.
August 1st, 2009, 09:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ::er!ca:: View Post
It tends to not place the lap belt where it needs to be. The lap belt needs to lay flat across his thighs, not his stomach. If it lays across the soft area of the stomach, it can cause seat belt syndrome (internal injuries) in an accident. And if the lap belt sits to high (not on legs) the child could submarine and slip under the belt and out of the seat in an accident. Also, the booster is rather short. Honestly, most kids do not fit in this seat for as long as they need to ride in a booster. And because of the lack of adjustments for the shoulder belt (which like any other forward facing car seat needs to be at or above the shoulder), the child will outgrow it very quickly.

Maybe you should talk to some CPSTs over on car-seat.org?

Also, as for your DH, I'm sure he understands that your child's safety is the most important thing. We could help you find a great designated booster that is affordable.

ETA: This seat is usually outgrown at age 6. Way before a child is able to sit in a vechile without a booster.
In Texas, a child can ride in a regular seat belt starting at age 4 if they meet the fit requirements (height, knees bend comfortably over the seat, etc.) and then any child, whether they fit or not, can ride w/o a booster after age 8. Ben has always been off the charts for size, so I doubt he'll be in a booster very long. I'm pushing for age 8, but that might not happen. Dh absolutely does NOT want to buy another seat at ALL. He thinks I'm nagging when I insist that the chest clip be a certain height, harness be pulled to a certain tightness, etc. I have pix from a recent father/son trip that made me gasp. The clip was to his belly button in some of them. My mom actually took him on a short trip (w/o my knowledge) using only a seat belt just after he turned 3. I'm barking in the wind! ... and yes, they've seen the videos, read the statistics, etc. "But we never had safety seats and we lived to tell the tale!"
August 2nd, 2009, 06:19 AM
Platinum Supermommy
My two preschoolers are forward facing in five-point harnesses as they are both under 40 pounds. When they reach 40 pounds their same car seats can be used as boosters with the regular seat belt.
August 2nd, 2009, 06:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BensMom View Post
In Texas, a child can ride in a regular seat belt starting at age 4 if they meet the fit requirements (height, knees bend comfortably over the seat, etc.) and then any child, whether they fit or not, can ride w/o a booster after age 8. Ben has always been off the charts for size, so I doubt he'll be in a booster very long. I'm pushing for age 8, but that might not happen. Dh absolutely does NOT want to buy another seat at ALL. He thinks I'm nagging when I insist that the chest clip be a certain height, harness be pulled to a certain tightness, etc. I have pix from a recent father/son trip that made me gasp. The clip was to his belly button in some of them. My mom actually took him on a short trip (w/o my knowledge) using only a seat belt just after he turned 3. I'm barking in the wind! ... and yes, they've seen the videos, read the statistics, etc. "But we never had safety seats and we lived to tell the tale!"
I'm sorry that they feel that way. I sincerely wish that they really understood the importance of car seat safety, and the fact that just because the law is ok with it doesn't mean that it is the safest for your child. I really really wish we could change his mind.

~~~

Brinlee rides in a Graco Nautilus in the 5 point harness. It goes to 65 pounds, and she'll be harnessed as long as she still fits. I don't trust her in a booster. I know that sometimes I move around in my seat belt, leaning over and such. There is no way that I can expect my 4 year old (or even at 5 years old) to sit perfectly still in a booster with adult seat belt without leaning to the side or forward... even if it's just for a moment to get something. I have a lot more to consider when moving her to a booster than just her size (at least 4 yrs, 40 lbs and 40 inches), maturity level also plays a huge part and their ability to be able to sit still, don't mess with the seat belt, no leaning, slouching, etc.
August 2nd, 2009, 12:17 PM
LovinMyGirls's Avatar Proud Working Momma
Natalie is in a Graco w/ a 5pt Harness & Arianna is in a backless booster.

I'll add I had my youngest RFing until the summer before she turned 3-best decision ever!

"
No one else will ever know the strength of my love for you. After all, you are the only one who knows what my heart sounds like from the inside." AA&NJ

Last edited by LovinMyGirls; August 2nd, 2009 at 12:19 PM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search