Brokenhearted preschooler getting shots today....

Forum: Moms of Preschoolers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms of Preschoolers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 5th, 2006, 04:26 AM
Regular

Hi, all! I'm new here--just found the site...

My 4YO daughter is starting Pre-k in a few weeks and she has to get the dreaded 4YO immunizations...
Ever since shots were first mentioned, she has worried herself TERRIBLY!! She "decided" that she's NOT going to school, but she'll go to work with her daddy instead! That was REALLY cute for awhile, but it's time to get serious now!

I've been buying my 2nd grade son's school supplies and picking her things up, as well. We shopped online together for a lunch box.....She's fine with getting everything together, but she ALWAYS makes sure to tell me that she's not going!

Well, we're getting it over with today...She doesn't know it yet, but we have an appointment at 10:00...
I plan to take her to Toys 'r Us afterward so she can pick out a new Littlest Pet Shop set (her only "collection"), but the idea of breaking the news to her is killing me!! She's just like her mom--VERRRRRY tender & sensitive......!!

My tentative plan...? When she gets up, I'll get her and the baby (3 1/2 week old baby sister!) dressed for "girls' day out"....We'll go get doughnuts......I've got to give her some Motrin--she'll ask why....... I'll head straight over to get shots over with & then we'll SHOP!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anybody got a better idea that'll reduce the trauma??!!

THANKS!!
August 5th, 2006, 07:39 AM
charmed_mommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am absolutely no help cause my son last year got his shots for preschool and he freaked out completely once we hit the parking lot of the peds office lol. But, I know a friend who played dolls with her daughter with a little kids medical kit to go through what was going to happen at the office when she got the shots. Her little girl wasn't as scared. Maybe you could try something like that?

</div>
August 5th, 2006, 08:08 AM
Veteran
I've heard that you just don't mention it to them until the nurse comes in and then they don't have as much time to worry themselves about it... I haven't take Allie for his 4 years yet so I don't know how he'll react...

Where there is self-doubting, I wish you arenewed confidence in your ability to work through it.

Where there is tiredness, or exhaustion, I wish you understanding, patience, and renewed strength.

Where there is fear, I wish you love, and courage.
</div>
August 5th, 2006, 01:13 PM
Regular
WHEW!!!!

No one had responded yet, so I went with my "gut"...
I told her the Motrin was for her sinuses...it kinda was...The "plan" was "girls only"...to go get doughnuts & go shopping. We picked up doughnuts and headed toward the hospital...When she asked why we were going that way, I joked with her that we were going to take her new baby sister back...tee-hee...how's that for stalling...?! When we pulled into the parking lot & she asked why, I said that we had "an appointment". I waited to tell her until I got out to let her out of the back seat. She was quite upset and cried a little on the way in, and was really fine most of the (very long) wait. She must have said 5-6 times that she didn't want any shots!! All I could do was repeat that back to her so she knew that I understood how she felt!
I was behind on taking her in (TERRIBLE mama!), so she ended up getting FIVE injections!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I felt horrible! The way the nurse made me hold her didn't help, either! There was lots of crying, and she apparently was so upset that she didn't even want a sucker! We picked 2 out for her anyway & once she calmed down they tasted really good! On the way out, I made a HUGE deal out of how she'd done it...it was over...she didn't have to think or worry about shots any more...She perked up a little, and we headed off for Toys r Us!!

I was impressed with the way she handled it...quite a shocker for a little gal...

[There ended up being lots of treats today...doughnuts, new Littlest Pet Shop animals, MawMaw and PawPaw came in for a visit, eating out for lunch, Eskamoe's peach cobbler after lunch, AND...her lunch box & school shoes were delivered today...Sounds like it turned out okay, huh?! ]
August 5th, 2006, 07:01 PM
RachelC's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My daughter is really a trooper when it comes to shots. The last time she had to get one, I used the baby. I told her it was a shot to make her the best big sister in the world and it would just be a little pinch (I demonstrated on her arm) and it would all be over, and voila! The World's Greatest Sister! I know that scenario isn't always logical, but it worked for us that time, and she didn't even flinch.

Later she told me that was a shot to keep her a little girl forever. It was so cute

Thank you RaspberryBeret for my gorgeous siggy!

August 5th, 2006, 08:14 PM
Veteran
Good girl! And boy she made out like a bandit as a result!!

Where there is self-doubting, I wish you arenewed confidence in your ability to work through it.

Where there is tiredness, or exhaustion, I wish you understanding, patience, and renewed strength.

Where there is fear, I wish you love, and courage.
</div>
August 6th, 2006, 05:56 AM
Regular

You're right, Jamster!!!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search