Long Travel with your kids

Forum: Moms of Preschoolers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms of Preschoolers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 22nd, 2007, 05:57 AM
mommyoffive's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We are getting ready for our first trip with all 5 kids. Last time we went dd(5) was 2 and we took one of the seats out in the van so the kids could play/lay in that area. We did not drive all the way through, which we won't be again. We learned our lesson last time we did that when the kids were all energized because they slept all night and dh and I were exausted.

Anyhow we are taking snacks, planning on letting the kids out of the car to walk a bit at rest stops, I am making treat bag(juice, stickers, snack) that they will all get upon cranky or so many miles ( haven't decided see how many bags I come up with). We also have bought magazines and are bringing gameboys, mp3 player and we have a dvd player (dual screen) in our van.

OK but I am feeling that is not going to be enough? Anyone want to share their wisdom with me on how they handle the long ride.

Oh.. we are going to Florida, Disneyworld. About 18 hours drive straight through. We will drive approx 10-12 the first day.
January 22nd, 2007, 06:44 AM
PeanutandPiglet'sMom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Shelley...where do you live? I'm in NJ and it took us 18-19 hours to drive to Florida. God bless you for doing the drive with 5 kids!

Anyhow...we've done this drive twice now. The last when Kaylee was just 2.5...no Vanessa in the picture back then...and are doing it once again this May.

I'm doing the same as you. I have goodies to hand out periodically. We have the DVD player, CD's, etc. We are stopping once overnight to recharge.

We are planning on leaving super early (like 2am-ish so the kids can sleep and DH and I can take shifts driving/snoozing) and then when we do stop overnight it's going to be in the bottom half of Georgia. We'll get a good dinner, good sleep and then drive straight to Disney in the morning.

If you have a Magna Doodle...bring it! If possible, find a rest stop in each state you drive through and let the kids get a postcard to mail from there. When you get home...the kids will have mail! We want to do this with Kaylee this year.

Bring trivia cards to play. I'm sure there are more easy games like that to keep everyone entertained with too.

If I think of more stuff...I'll be back!

I'm jealous you are going sooner than me! I need sunshine and warm weather!

January 22nd, 2007, 10:22 AM
3Xblessed's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We haven't done anything that long but we have done a couple of 8hr drives (to go skiing).

We have a dvd player in the van so we had a movie marathon. We also had books and toys that they could play with. Anytime we would stop to eat we did so at a place with a playyard so the kids could burn a little energy. Oh and we did lots of peepee breaks so there was leg stretching involved then.

When we fly this summer we are getting the twins each thier own leapfrog to play with on the plane....

About the taking the seat out and letting them play/lay...is that legal where you are because here its a major fine and possibly a visit from dcf.....I'm in ca and they have to be in car seats at all times.
January 22nd, 2007, 12:58 PM
Charizomai's Avatar Mommy to Three!
hey! We did this in October for the Disneys Not So Scary Halloween Party, but our kids are 3 and 2.
it was hard enough with only two kids, I can not even imagine having to do it with 5 kids.

We live in Northern Alabama and it was about a 10 hour drive for us.

What we did was, we have a DVD player which works wonders and we stopped at ALL the rest areas and then some gas stations in between to let the kids out to walk and play a little bit.
  • Coloring Books
  • Magazines
  • Snacks
  • crayons
  • toys (lots of them)
  • Pillows and blankets, etc.
Whatever they play with the most at home, as long as its not A HUGE toy, take it. that way they will have it at the hotel/condo where you are staying and will be better relaxed at night.

We took so much stuff. it was almost impossible..LOL..but we managed it. Have a great time, I know your kids will have a ball at DW!!!!

Quote:
About the taking the seat out and letting them play/lay...is that legal where you are because here its a major fine and possibly a visit from dcf.....I'm in ca and they have to be in car seats at all times.[/b]
Here too, Im in alabama, and that is illegal. If a cop sees you, or another passenger in a car happens to be having (One of those days and calls and reports you) they will pull you over and fine you..majorly)..

They just passed the law here in ALABAMA that until a child is at least 4'9" ( I beleive, it might be 4'8", but im pretty sure its 4'9" AND weighing a certain amount (I cant remember how mcuh it is) they HAVE to be in a child seat./booster seat.... I think the age requirement is at LeAST 4 years old...
I know you can look it up online. FLORIDA laws, i beleive are pretty simular to Alabama laws though. I would double check!!

I happily Breastfed Alba for 5 1/2 months!!!!

Below is my weightloss ticker. This is not for the pregnancy weight to come off as it has pretty much all came off. The rest of it is just what I've been wanting to loose for a while now to get back to my healthier weight!

January 22nd, 2007, 05:10 PM
PayTay's Avatar Veteran
I am sorry to be no help. We always drive straight through.........

For shorter trips(4hrs) Movies, leapster,music, ABC game(with license plates and signs, I like this game!)books.

Nothing original here
January 22nd, 2007, 07:28 PM
stormy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Last Christmas we went to Disney World and then to Naples. All together it was 14 hours in the car. The trip down wasn't too bad because they slept most of the way and we broke the trip up. Coming back we were in the car for 14 hours.

Make sure you have plenty of foods, drinks, changes of clothes, movies, dvd car player, books, and color objects but don't leave crayons in the car...makes a big mess.

Make plenty of stops. If possible try leaving at night. I have always found that traveling while the kids sleep helps a lot and dh and I take turns driving so one of us can sleep. If you are doing a long trip maybe stop half way and spend the night. See the sights in that area.
January 24th, 2007, 05:27 AM
mommyoffive's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yes its illegal But we did it for sleeping purpose when we drove straight thru.

I love the postcard idea!!! So gonna meantion that to our friends and dh! Got to remember to bring stamps.
January 24th, 2007, 03:36 PM
PeanutandPiglet'sMom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I can totally see how taking the seat out for someone to rest is a good idea. Yes, illegal - but not at rest stops. Plus, if you have kids wearing diapers...good space to change them!

Less than 3 weeks before you leave!!! I'm so jealous!

January 25th, 2007, 07:53 PM
Veteran
my oldest daughter is a competitive gymnast so we go out of town quite a bit for her meets and morgan does really good. we have those headrest dvd players and those keep her busy for a while.. plus she got a fisher price fp3 player for christmas that she looooves.. and then we just bring your regular old standbys.. gameboy, leappad, coloring book and crayons, stickers, snacks.. things like that!

Chelsea- August 5, 1996
Morgan- October 22, 2002

January 27th, 2007, 09:07 AM
Platinum Supermommy
We drove 32 hours (broken up into 3 days) from Louisiana to Arizona when my son was 3 1/2 (and I had 3 cats in my car too). We played a game of finding license plates with specific letters in them and he had to call out the colour of the car when he saw the letter in the plate. I also did a search online for travel crafts and found some things and bought them which he did well with, and then we had snacks, I bought a kid's CD and we sang songs together, he also napped periodically which was good. We were in the car 10 hours a day, stopping maybe 3 times in a day just to pee (2 of those stops we stopped to eat REALLY quick), mainly because we had 3 cats and a dog and it was summertime so couldn't just leave them in the car, and our son did wonderfully, never heard a cranky word out of him. Just make sure to have things for them to do, play games in the car (even if they're stupid made up games lol), sing songs and I think you'll be okay.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search