epidural... catheters ???

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To BTDT Moms Advice for New Moms LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 4th, 2007, 03:49 AM
mummy0507
ok i want to know it all... so if anyone knows anything on it... please give me a lil advice...
i just want to know the hole procedure and how they do the catheter... do they stick it up your pee hole??? does that hurt if they do or feel weird...?? and how do you feel being paralyzed...?? i didnt have a epi with my daughter so im not sure on the hole thing... anyways thanks...
November 4th, 2007, 07:04 AM
sarahkatt's Avatar Veteran
I had an epi with my second son...I didnt have a cath. So I cant tell you about those. But as far as the epi is concerned I LOVED it. If you have had a child before I'd say go for it. It is a little weird not feeling your legs, but 2 hours after I had the baby I was out of bed and totally fine!
<div align="center"></div>
November 4th, 2007, 07:50 PM
Momof4Boyz's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
W/ my 1st I had the epi before the catheter so I didn't really feel anything when the put it in.

2nd baby, I didn't get a true "epi" - I didn't really want one but I was induced so the pain was just unbearable but he didn't have time (had to be in surgery) so all he did was gave me a "shot", literally he filled 1 little needle with some pushed it in and left! He said it would last like an hour - it made it 1 1/2 hrs, then the pain was all back, which was good it gave me the encouragement I needed to push that 8lbs 12ozs of baby OUT (only took 6 pushes!)! lol I didn't have a catheter that time.

Now most women think the epi is the best thing ever but I hated it!! You cannot move, your legs feel like they weigh 200lbs each, you feel like rubber it's weird, creepy and gross. I wanted to walk around and couldn't. But with my 1st I was induced and not progressing well even with pitocin so it was a looong painful labor and I couldn't take the pain beyond 6cm! The epi with my 2nd was OK, I could still feel my legs and everything, couldn't get up but I could move some so I was OK with that, plus it wore off super fast I was walking within minutes after birth (had to pee lol).

November 7th, 2007, 01:01 PM
mommaluvs2730's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had an epi before the cath. so I dont know how it feels. The epi though was awesome. I didnt even know when to push because I didnt even feel the pain or contractions!

November 7th, 2007, 03:53 PM
Platinum Supermommy
The catheter feels a little weird and uncomfortable, but they do it for good reasons. When I had my daughter they stuck it in only when I thought I needed to pee and was not allowed to get out of bed. I have heard of some women having the catheter left in them the whole time. They do stick it in the hole that you pee out of.
The epidural is great! I definitely recommend it. It hurts a little being put in, but is worth it. When mine was being put in, I just felt a little pushing on my back. It doesn't usually take too long for it to start working. I couldn't feel my legs after about 5-10 minutes.

November 7th, 2007, 06:34 PM
sarahkatt's Avatar Veteran
First off Babybee CONGRATS on being preggo with number 2!!! I have two boys, they are soooooo fun...!!!

I never had a cath, but I did love the epi like I said before, BUT I agree with your legs feeling like 200 pounds, that part is a little weird!! hehe....But It all in your own choice!
<div align="center"></div>
November 8th, 2007, 05:45 AM
Lindsey608's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Just lurking in here and I thought I'd add my two cents..

I had an epi with my DD and loved it. But no catheter even though the nurse said I'd be getting one (I think she forgot?). Anyway, I had two bags of fluids while in labor and then was numb for a couple hours after DD was born so I couldn't feel the "need" to use the bathroom. By the time I did feel the urge I still couldn't walk so was brought a bedpan to use. And promptly overflowed it. I was really ticked off at the nurse.

Next time if I have another epi I'll be REQUESTING a catheter!

November 8th, 2007, 07:37 AM
wefrogy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I too had an epi and loved it. I also had a cath and like some of the other ladies, it was after the epi so I didn't feel a thing.

November 16th, 2007, 12:54 PM
Mamma Liv's Avatar Regular
Just popping in...
I wasn't at the hospital until I was 7cm so I got my epi and hated it. I hated how it felt being put in, and it only took to one side... I was pissed. But the epi guy didn't have time to re-do it. major frown. I got cathed after my epi, didn't feel it. I should have just waited it out.

November 18th, 2007, 05:58 PM
wolfpack's Avatar I need a frappuccino!
Just my two cents, I would never do an epi again! I had to have one with my first as I had severe complications. I couldn't move at all. Then, It took several hours to wear off. I had leg cramps and headaches for months afterwards. I ended up with a "walking epi" with my second and it was just as bad. I still couldn't move out of the bed, I was still paralyzed from my waist down. I also still had the leg cramps and headaches for months afterwards. It was awful! With the next one, my husband and Mom and Mom-in-law talked me into Stadol. Umm, that stuff makes you drunk! It puts me to sleep between contractions, even pushing at the end.

The catheter, you can't feel. The epi has you completely numb.

This time, I decided to do it without anything. I was induced. Honestly, it wasn't that bad. Definately go that route if you can!

November 21st, 2007, 06:34 PM
lovemyfamily0799's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi there - just lurking and noticed your post.

Congrats on your pregnancy....I have had three little ones.

I am a huge supporter of Epidurals. Unfortunately I do not deal with pain well. With my first I was fighting the contractions so much that the Epi actually speed up my labor to the suprise of my doctor. With my second, the Epi stalled it a bit and I had to have some pitocin. With my 3rd, well she was so fast that I don't think my body had time to respond . With all of them though I could feel the contractions, just the pressure of it, but not the pain. And I knew when I was transitioning and getting close to 7-8 cm, because I began to shake and with my last I felt a little nauseas (but I was at 10, like I said she was fast). And I could still feel where to push. My 1st nurse was awesome...she took a warm washcloth and placed it on my bum to understand where I should be pushing. Once she did that, and I knew where to direct the pushing towards, I was fine.

The catheters I had after I had the Epi so I didn't really feel any of the. I could still feel the sensation of a full bladder, and with my 1st nurse she let me try to use the bed pan, but because you are numb, it is sometimes hard to naturally go...I didn't really watch the whole process of where it went, and once my bladder was empty she removed it. But even afterwards, after the epi wore off, I didn't feel anything unsual.

My last pregnancy I did have an epidural headache. But even with it, I would still do it again. Luckily it only lasted a day or two.

Good luck with your birthing expirence.

The blinky is clickable!!
November 28th, 2007, 02:42 PM
cfm
Hi, just dropping in from the Sept 07 playroom.

I had planned on going without the epi but had a long labor so I ended up changing my mind and OH BOY was that the best decision of my life. My hospital offered a 'walking' epi, where they use about half the normal amount of drugs, so I could feel all the contractions (just pressure, no pain), was able to move my legs and felt the urge to push and was able to push properly. I did, however, have to have the catheter but the nurse tried to get me to use the bedpan first. Unfortunately, I just couldn't make it happen. My doctor later told me we should have tried moving me to a sitting position first, as it is pretty unnatural for us to pee lying down.
So in summary: my personal epi experience=awesome! but many hospitals don't offer what I got.
The catheter=not a huge deal, just kind of embarrassing, really.
December 15th, 2007, 09:46 AM
Phoenix2Light's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The cath didn't really bother me going in, just a little sting but quite honestly with the labor pains I was having.....nothing really seemed that bad. I've had one before also and don't remember it being anything bad whatsoever, I had to have my cath for about 2 days as I couldn't walk.

Now for the epi....I will NEVER get one again and encourage alot of other women to really consider the risks before they do get one. Both me and my son almost died from the stupid epi and it ended up making my labor pains 3x as worse as well as my blood pressure sky rocket and drop low putting me at risk for a heart attack, then I began to black out, then for 4 months after all this I was still having seizures. Sad thing about this is I hear it happen all too often. The thing about meningitis though is that it can also kill your baby, which if I would've done my research before I never would have put my son at risk like that, that's why it's important to know as much as you can before you even get there.

I'm guessing you went natural your first time. They say that you deliver faster, since it's your 2nd you should deliver even faster this time.

December 22nd, 2007, 07:21 AM
mom2my3boyz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
When I had an epi with my first son I could still feel my legs. I don't remember any pain either time I was catheterized for my c-sections.
December 24th, 2007, 12:31 PM
Vegreenmom's Avatar Veteran
Quote:
Now most women think the epi is the best thing ever but I hated it!! You cannot move, your legs feel like they weigh 200lbs each, you feel like rubber it's weird, creepy and gross.[/b]
I agree with this. I didn't want an epidural but had to in order to not have to have a c-section (long story short, 4 days of active labor, 2 hours of pushing without him descending, my anti c-section midwife basically said 'get an epi or you'll end up with a c-section...). I absolutely hated it and will not get one when I have a second child unless i literally HAVE to like I basically did with my son.

However, I didn't get a catheter with it. But I *have* had a catheter before so I'll tell you what I can remember. I remember it stung like when I have to get a pap smear (not sure if yours sting or not lol). But it didn't HURT, it was just very very uncomfortable. Once it was in there I couldn't feel it. But then I had this huge urge to pee, I didn't want to because you just feel like you're going to pee all over yourself and the table. But once you just relax, your urge is gone because the urine is lol. It wasn't that bad overall.

</div>
December 27th, 2007, 08:16 PM
mrs_catty_marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I loved my epidural but I do agree it is something that you need to look into before you make a decision. I have also had catheters put in 2x after the epidural and 1x without. The one without didn't actually hurt, there was just pressure. Taking it out though wasn't fun (my nurse accidently jerked it). Good luck and congrats

[/url

Ectopic Pregnancy 01/30/06. One tube wonder!
January 1st, 2008, 09:38 PM
LJD3Tdance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've had two epis, neither with a cath, though I have had a cath before...

January 23rd, 2008, 04:14 AM
mummy0507
ok so... i never had a epi buti need a catheter after the birth because i haemorrhaged.. it was very weird but i got use to if after 3 days.. wasnt as bad as i thought it would be.
February 1st, 2008, 03:00 PM
HippyMomOf4's Avatar Hippy Mom Extraordinaire
I got a cat with my second when i was in early labor, just hurt when they put it in since i wasn't numb, but thats great it didn't bother you to much!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search