Anyone heard of Post Tubal Ligation Syndrome?

Forum: Done Having Children

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected]ommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Done Having Children LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 19th, 2009, 01:22 PM
jessjillmama's Avatar ***Staying Positive***
Just wondering if anyone else has heard of it. I feel that I have it after getting my tubes tied 2 years ago. Now I want to get a reversal due to all the horrible issues I am having.

Post Tubal Ligation Syndrome is. Post Tubal Ligation Syndrome, or PTLS for short, is an iatrogenesis condition , meaning “Doctor caused” or “Doctor produced.” Many women suffer after having a Tubal Ligation. This condition comes with a whole long list of Symptoms, which I shall share with you now.

1. Ectopic pregnancy or pregnancy (well known risk of tubals)
1a. Hot flashes, flushes, night sweats and/or cold flashes, clammy feeling, chills
2. Bouts of rapid heart beat
3. Irritability
4. Mood swings, sudden tears
5. Trouble sleeping through the night (with or without night sweats)
6. Irregular periods; shorter, lighter periods; heavier periods, flooding; phantom periods, shorter cycles, longer cycles
7. Loss of libido
8. Dry vagina
8a. Itchy vagina-at times raw like, can radiate from whole area, with absence of yeast infections.
8b. Color change in vaginal area. (color gets darker - purple/black)
9. Crashing fatigue
10. Anxiety, feeling ill at ease
11. Feelings of dread, apprehension, doom
12. Difficulty concentrating, disorientation, mental confusion
13. Disturbing memory lapses
14. Incontinence, especially upon sneezing, laughing; urge incontinence
14a.Prolapse of uterus due to rapid decreases in estrogen levels.
15. Itchy, crawly skin
16 Aching, sore joints, muscles and tendons
17. Increased tension in muscles
18. Breast tenderness
18a. Decrease in breast mass
19. Headache change: increase or decrease
20. Gastrointestinal distress, indigestion, flatulence, gas pain, nausea
21. Sudden bouts of bloat
22. Depression
23. Exacerbation of existing conditions
24. Increase in allergies
25. Weight gain
26. Hair loss or thinning, head, pubic, or whole body; increase in facial hair
27. Dizziness, light-headedness, episodes of loss of balance
28. Changes in body odor
29. Electric “shock” or “stabbing” sensation under the skin.
30. Tingling in the extremities
31. Gum problems, increased bleeding
32. Burning tongue, burning roof of mouth, bad taste in mouth, change in breath odor
33. Osteoporosis (after several years)
34. Changes in fingernails: softer, crack or break easier.
Ava Sept 14th 2007, Beaux Oct 3rd 2012
* Tubal reversal December 17th 2010

June 26th, 2009, 06:31 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Yep! I had it and had my tubes reversed. I was miserable the whole time I had my tubes tied. The thing is the dr.'s don't believe in PTLS. The won't admit that it is there. It's basically going through pre-menopause. It's crazy.

Don't worry, you're not going crazy. The symptoms are definitely there. After I had my tubal reversal, my symptoms went away after about 4-6 months.

Thank you Sara-misfitinmn-for my beautiful siggy!!

July 1st, 2009, 11:17 AM
jessjillmama's Avatar ***Staying Positive***
Thanks for you input. I just hope my marriage will make it through all this.
Ava Sept 14th 2007, Beaux Oct 3rd 2012
* Tubal reversal December 17th 2010

July 5th, 2009, 10:14 PM
KrazE's Avatar ShutTheFrontDoor
I am reposting your symptoms and will respond in sequence. I had my tubal ligation in 1999 - it's been 10 years now. So here goes....

1. Ectopic pregnancy or pregnancy (well known risk of tubals)
No - filshie clips were used and I researched prior to the surgery

1a. Hot flashes, flushes, night sweats and/or cold flashes, clammy feeling, chills
Not that I recall, although nothing that ever seemed unusual or more than the 'norm' to me

2. Bouts of rapid heart beat
From time to time - I actually believe that my heartbeat is a bit irregular and sometimes 'skips' a beat making me a tad breathless for a split second

3. Irritability
Single Mom, 4 kids, I am the boss at work - so hell yes lol

4. Mood swings, sudden tears
When AF is coming due - to me I think this is pretty normal when hormones are involved

5. Trouble sleeping through the night (with or without night sweats)
For as far back as I can recall, I have had insomnia. I can say for certain that this is due to stress.

6. Irregular periods; shorter, lighter periods; heavier periods, flooding; phantom periods, shorter cycles, longer cycles
My period is definitely heavier than it was prior to the tubal ligation, and sometimes it can last longer but... (and this may be TMI) if you have sex (or at least an orgasm) during your period, it shortens the cycle because the orgasm causes your uterus to contract, thus 'clearing' you out quicker (I know, there just isn't a better way of saying that detail).

7. Loss of libido
Yes, definitely - but it's only because I hated my husband (which explains why we are not together anymore LOL)

8. Dry vagina
Definitely not a problem unless it's right after AF - and that only lasts a day or two

8a. Itchy vagina-at times raw like, can radiate from whole area, with absence of yeast infections.
PH issue - hormones - fill the tub with lukewarm water to your hips, add enough salt until the water tastes salty (it won't kill you) and lounge to allow the salted water to.... well get to your lady parts until the water cools - do not rinse off, just towel dry. Do this a couple times a day for a couple days and it should deal with the PH imbalance

8b. Color change in vaginal area. (color gets darker - purple/black)
I haven't looked that closely - so I can't possibly answer that one lol

9. Crashing fatigue
Yes, but again this is normal (for me) within a certain amount of time before AF

10. Anxiety, feeling ill at ease
Yes - and stress does it (to me) - it's the chicken little symdrome as I call it

11. Feelings of dread, apprehension, doom
See answer number 10

12. Difficulty concentrating, disorientation, mental confusion
Yes, but again question number 10 - stress plus insomnia plus the chicken little syndrome

13. Disturbing memory lapses
Lack of sleep + stress

14. Incontinence, especially upon sneezing, laughing; urge incontinence
Um, after having babies using your bladder as a trampoline - this should come as no surprise. In fact, my kids have commented that I need a bumper sticker that says "Get outta my way, I've got to pee!"

14a.Prolapse of uterus due to rapid decreases in estrogen levels.
I'm confused as to how estrogen levels drop after a tubal ligation. All your lady parts are intact, and you still get your period which is a clear indication that the hormone cycle (GnRH, FSH, Estrogen, Progesterone and Testosterone) is still occurring. Unless you are having severe menstrual imbalance (not showing up for months at a time), then I would assume (IMO of course) that there is something else amiss.

15. Itchy, crawly skin
Depends on the detergents, bath soaps and lotions - but not different than prior to the surgery

16 Aching, sore joints, muscles and tendons
I can tell you the weather - but I'm getting old now LOL

17. Increased tension in muscles
Stress - Insomnia

18. Breast tenderness
Absolutely - when AF nears, it's a soreness much like a first pregnancy

18a. Decrease in breast mass
Don't I wish. You have to remember that breasts change after having children. The fatty tissue made way for the milk duct production and once you are no longer producing milk - well basically there is nothing to fill those milk ducts anymore.

19. Headache change: increase or decrease
I know - but repeating it nonetheless - stress & insomnia

20. Gastrointestinal distress, indigestion, flatulence, gas pain, nausea
I'm a farty gal anyway.. But really, again, your body changes as you, um, age, and all those things that you could once eat by the bucket & have no issues with kick your farty-self right into gear years later.

21. Sudden bouts of bloat
See the farty gal comment Or, when AF is nearing

22. Depression
I believe that this would have other underlying issues - could be related to things that I stated in the hormone section of my answers

23. Exacerbation of existing conditions
No

24. Increase in allergies
No

25. Weight gain
It's up, it's down, it's all over town

26. Hair loss or thinning, head, pubic, or whole body; increase in facial hair
No

27. Dizziness, light-headedness, episodes of loss of balance
(getting old, I know) Stress & insomnia

28. Changes in body odor
Only when I've been sweating lol

29. Electric “shock” or “stabbing” sensation under the skin.
No

30. Tingling in the extremities
Depends on what made them tingly

31. Gum problems, increased bleeding
This can be linked to hormones. But No

32. Burning tongue, burning roof of mouth, bad taste in mouth, change in breath odor
No

33. Osteoporosis (after several years)
10 years on and no issues that I'm aware of

34. Changes in fingernails: softer, crack or break easier.
No

Whew, didn't realize there were so many of them. I do wish you the best and hope that you are able to work through what has changed for you since the tubal ligation.

July 27th, 2009, 05:32 PM
Send a message via Yahoo to angelicblue09
I certainly wish that I could afford to get mine undone. I'm in pain/miserable overall most of the time and my doctor's don't believe in it and just keep me on high doses of pain meds. Insurance in my case won't cover a reversal and I don't have the funds . Boo! It is real and it is out there... but until you find a doctor who believes in it, it's a hard thing to deal with.
Step Mom To A (7) and R (5)
August 16th, 2009, 08:54 PM
cilla's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to cilla Send a message via Yahoo to cilla
PtLS does very well exist and there are very few drs who will admit it. There is a list I posted here a while back that is 101 reasons NOT to get your tubes tied. i suffered from many of the issues and since having my TR 3 years ago have almost all went away.

Have you had a Tubal Ligation and regret it? Just pm me or more information on Tubal Reversals!
September 10th, 2009, 09:51 PM
Austin and Dylans Mommy
Ive had several of these issues since my tubal! It sucks! Sometimes i wish i hadnt had it because i cant afford a reversal to undo the issues. So instead i get to just deal with them. My doctor wont admit that PTLS is my issue either. She says theres no such thing. Great Doctor huh.
February 13th, 2017, 04:39 PM
hi am 37 years old, i have been trying to get pregnant for close to 10years now but all to no avail, I have done pelvic scan and it shows I have cyst,how do I get that remove and it also shows that I don’t ovulate regularly, some times my period come twice a month some times it comes within the interval of 11 days i didnt know what to do, i have seems numerious doctors but no luck , then i was searching on google ways to get pregnant , then i saw a lady who testify how ashra has helped her with a cleanse oil and a pregnancy spell, i contacted ashra via this email [email protected] and after communication a pregnancy seed was sent to me as well as a cleanse oil which i use for 4weeks , 2 months later i became pregnant , am 34 weeks pregnant now and my baby is doing great , if you have issues trying to conceive then contact ashra for help via [email protected] or call/whatapp +2348058176311

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search