Log In Sign Up

Gabriella's Birth Story

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss


Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 1st, 2008, 08:21 AM
Posts: n/a
Well, as you all know, I went for the version 2 weeks before the section and that failed. From the moment they gave me a date for her birth I secretly didn't want her to turn but kept it in prayer that if she turned that was God's will and I would be happy. I was a mess the entire 2 weeks but by Thursday evening I really didn't want her to turn.

I couldn't sleep at all that night and was up with the chickens dragging Mick out the door. I hated leaving my family but couldn't wait to meet this new addition. I knew it would be an emotional day just thinking about everything that lead up to this big day and all we went through and lost before. We were just so grateful. We got to the hospital and parked what seemed like miles away. We had to follow the blue path to get to the Kensington Unit and my eyes didn't leave that blue line..........until it ended too soon....lol. We must have looked really confused several times because just about every person we passed asked us if we needed help. We finally got back on the blue path, shame on the hospital for not keeping it going where it should. I was so nervous checking in.

Once I got up to the delivery suite, it was a whirlwind of nurses, doctors and whoever coming in and asking me tons of questions and getting me ready. I was first in line for a scheduled section but was told there may be an emergency ahead of me. Mick fell asleep, I was too wired and too many questions to sleep. Another couple came in who were being induced and then another couple who's baby was also breech. I kept hoping that I would still go first. I did end up waiting as the other mom needed an emergency section. Finally, I was told it was time and to grab my baby things that this was it. The staff was amazing and ever so kind. It was a long walk down. Mick was taken into a room to change into his scrubs and was told to wait there while I was prepped. I couldn't stop shivering. I was first weighed and had my height taken. Hated the weight as that was the first time I was weighed, gained 50 pounds!!!! Bad, bad, bad.

So they got me up on the table. It was one well oiled machine of an operation in there and a flurry of action. I got my iv put in and my back examined. Then was told there may be another emergency coming in and I would have to wait. Part of me said, yes, get me out of here, I would rather just give birth. I was scared out of my mind. Well, ended up having to go over to the recovery room until the emergency was done. I broke down in tears because they wheeled the mom by and there was blood everywhere on her bed and so many nurses calling for a baby crash cart. The nurses came over to help me and I said I was worried for the baby and mom. I was then asked where my husband was and I didn't know. Turns out he was still in the room waiting for me so they went to get him and he just came in hugging me. All he heard were alarms going off and codes for the operating theatre and thought it was me and the baby. After a few mins, we were sent to the waiting room and the dad and sister of the other mom was in there. Apparently she had been labouring all night alone because they kept telling her she wasn't in labour and then ended up with placenta abruption.

Finally.......agian, it was my turn. There was no going back this time. The spinal was horrible and painful. I had an epidural with my last and it was a piece of cake. I thought I was going to be sick and was so relieved when it was done. My bp went down and I panicked...(the nurse explained this would happen for a few momments) but I hated it. As promised, it ended and I felt so much better. Had all the picking and prodding to see if I felt anything and before I knew it, my hubby was by my side holding my hand. I was never so happy to see him. They were telling me that they were getting ready to pull the baby out and he could see a bum. I started balling my eyes out......I was going to finally meet my baby (makes me well up now). The anesthetists kept apologizing and I told him they were tears of joy. They dropped the drapes and I saw my baby, absolutely perfect. Mick snapped some photos and sat back down and they put the drape up. They did a bit of suctioning and the apgar was a 9!!! Then a lightbulb went off in my brain.......hunny, is it a boy or a girl????? He said he didn't know, he just took the pictures. So he asked.....It's a girl!!!!! We knew it had to be but I never held to that until she was here.

It seemed like forever to get me sewn up. Mick and Gabriella were taken away to get weighed and cleaned up and I couldn't wait to see her. Once I got over to recovery, I saw Mick wheeling her in to me. She is so tiny and gorgeous. I couldn't believe she was my baby, my daughter. I feel my family is complete and Mick and I are so happy. As you all know, this has been such a long and heartbreaking road (for all of us) and we feel so blessed.

I'm only adding this part so you can see how our system works over here.

We have to provide everything for mom and baby including nappies and sanitary pads. You are given nothing to take home like in the states. Meals are not brought to you but they are announced out in the hall so I missed quite a few meals. I stayed in a ward with 3 other moms and their babies. One mom let her baby cry all the time, so much so that the baby was losing his voice. With that happening, the young mom next to me had to deal with her baby being awaken by the other baby. She was so upset she ended up crying most evenings. We had privacy curtains, but mine never closed completely and the bin and sink were on the side of me which was very busy and noisy and my chair was behind it and I never got to use it.

I was told I had to get the bandage of my incision and the best way was to do it in the shower. So when my husband, 2 children and in laws came to visit, I went down to remove it. I was in so much pain and I just felt the shower room closing in on me and my hearing was going. I got the bandage half way off before I rang the alarm. The took me back to my room and kicked my family out and got the rest off and helped me get dried and in bed. They were upset that the section moms aren't with a nurse when removing the bandages. I found out the same thing happened to the young mom next to me. The next day, all the others left so I had the room to myself. I have to admit it was kind of lonely. Then the mean nurse showed up. She opened the window and left it open and then kept opening my privacy curtain and would move the baby away from me so I had to get out of bed to get to her. I was so upset and angry. As soon as the doctor said I could go home early, I took it. I only spent 2 nights in the hospital and then came home to recover....I was so happy.

We didn't have to do much to leave, just sign her out and take her out the front door. Hated that becasue I've always been wheeled out a side door with my babies so we could get them out the door without too much fuss.

So as you can see, the system is very different here. That being said, I feel very fortunate for the care I did get some moms here have no care. That was a big concern for me and I was relieved. The NHS is just very stingy here and hopefully some things will change.

I am so sorry this is so long and thank you if you made it through. I will try and get her birth photo in tonight. My hubby has it. It's a great shot of her.

Love you all!

PS....wanted to let you all know that the other emergency section mom was next to me in recovery. We all had a chat and she is fine and her baby boy will be fine as well.
Reply With Quote
December 1st, 2008, 09:03 AM
mom 2 haley & tyler's Avatar formerly mommy2haley17
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: TX
Posts: 8,212
Oh, Pam, I'm glad overall that the birth experience wasn't bad. I'm just so thankful that she made it into the world safely, that Mick was with you, and that you are all okay. I'm so glad now that you feel your family is complete. That's got to be a wonderful feeling after all you've been through honey!!! I'm so sorry poor Mick thought that all those alarms were for you and Gabrielle. He must have been terrified. I'm happy that the other mom and her baby are also doing well. You did good mama!! I can't wait for the birth photo.

Reply With Quote
December 1st, 2008, 09:57 AM
kalis's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: IL
Posts: 6,523
what an ordeal! i couldn't imagine sharing a ward or room with ither new moms. that would be too much going on for me, especially when you are trying to recover and be with your new baby.
Thanks to *Kiliki* for my pretty siggy!
Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:36 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0